Why the option?

Every program in the country like us who has tradition and is at or even close to the 800+ ncaa win club has the tradition because of a heritage or a mantra or identity that works. Nebraska has never won a national title throwing passes. We have sucked trying to but never succeeded. Point is regardless of ESPN or anyone else's analysis ....they don't know husker football. They talk out of their rear ends and think they know but don't. See callahan experiment. We recruit well for speed option and power running. Not pro style anything. Pound the rock.

• Fire 1

Why are people practically drooling over the possibility of running an option based offense? Sure it was great fun to watch in the 90's, but things have evolved, IMO, and if 'we' started running that type of offense, I think it could actually hurt recruiting in the future.

What's your opinion?

You're wrong? that's my opinion.

That whole sentiment got us Callahan in the first place. Things haven't evolved much... Tebow running the option won florida 2 titles basically. Paul Johnson was killing teams at Navy and has chronic over-achievers at GT now due to the option. As everyone else has said, see Oregon.

and the zone read is 'option.'

and you know what... we had an identity we could recruit to when we ran it.

Every program in the country like us who has tradition and is at or even close to the 800+ ncaa win club has the tradition because of a heritage or a mantra or identity that works. Nebraska has never won a national title throwing passes. We have sucked trying to but never succeeded. Point is regardless of ESPN or anyone else's analysis ....they don't know husker football. They talk out of their rear ends and think they know but don't. See callahan experiment. We recruit well for speed option and power running. Not pro style anything. Pound the rock.

Simply an excellent post, bournehusker. I can't think of anything to add except my huge delight that the Clownahan fluffball experiment is over.

I thought Oregon was more of a spread type thing.

Oregon runs the spread option. Very similar to what Nebraska was just starting to run in 1997 before Osborne Retired and Solich went more conservative.

Similar to what we ran last year I'd say.

Or where we have been trying to get to recently, at least.

Remember how sick of the read option we got last year? Guys were denouncing it left and right.

Oregon runs the spread option. Very similar to what Nebraska was just starting to run in 1997 before Osborne Retired and Solich went more conservative.

Remember how sick of the read option we got last year? Guys were denouncing it left and right.

Because we ran it 75% of the time and half the time Taylor made the wrong read.

• Fire 1

Because we ran it 75% of the time and half the time Taylor made the wrong read.

Uhhh.....because he had a bad ankle on one leg and turf toe on the other "might" have had something to do with it?

On top of what others have said, we had an inept offensive coordinator who was not brought up in an option based offense, who constantly crapped the bed by out thinking himself.

Last year's offense really wasn't that similar to Osborne's 1997 offense, or Oregon's offense. We just ran the read option a lot early in the season. The comparison stops there.

The blocking schemes were a lot different, we weren't as creative with how we presented the offense, we only ran the read option, and not the lateral option or triple option (like both Oregon and Osborne's 1997 offense did), and since our OC was still basing everything on West Coast principles, our passing game didn't complement our running game very effectively and we didn't use effective sequential playcalling.

Last year's offense was an ugly spread option/WCO hybrid that never settled into a strong identity. The only reason people compared it to Oregon was because we had a lot of big plays with the zone read option early on. That's the only thing that was similar.