Tmart said a dumb thing

WYHusk

Okay, I like Tmart and all but this is a stupid thing to say on many levels:

"I think as a team right now we're not really striving for a Big Ten championship, we're striving for a national championship," Martinez said. "If we accomplish the national championship, everything else will fall into place."

Besides the locker room fodder and the setting of ridiculously high expectations, I want to know - what else can possibly fall in place, AFTER you win the natl title? That doesn't even make sense. Like, he will find himself fulfilled as a human being, or what?

I guess how you come down on this depends on how big a Kool-Aid drinker you are. After last year, I am going to refrain from imbibing. The last couple seasons have cost me too many years of my life.

You know Bo said the exact same thing, right? Talk about looking for things to gripe about. :facepalm:

EDIT - here's Bo's quote from today's presser:

“I never look at it as being a success if you don't win a championship,” Pelini said. “I mean, that's our goal from the beginning.

“I'm not saying you can't have a good year and not win a conference championship, but it all depends on who you talk to. In this program, we're about winning championships.”

This is the culture of this program. If you think they are recruiting kids NOT to win National Championships you haven't been paying attention. That is the SOLE GOAL of this team, and should be. There is nothing wrong with making that statement.

I don't think I can properly express how vehemently I disagree with the sentiment that we should be afraid to state our goal of winning national championships. That's the ONLY thing we should say about our expectations. Ever.

• Fire 3

i think we all know by now, there is confusion and misunderstanding in some of his statements.....he really is better off not talking to the press....i would assume he meant winning the Big 10 is the first step or goal for this team.

i hate pre season interviews, just seldom beneficial to anyone. pretty damn tough to win a NC without winning a Big 10 championship first....or any Conference Championship for that matter.

You know Bo said the exact same thing, right? Talk about looking for things to gripe about. :facepalm:

Bo said that after he won the natl title, everything else would fall in place?

Where have you been these past three years? All Bo talks about is winning championships. This is the culture he's building in this program, the thought that we should EXPECT to win national championships, to excel, to compete. That is what he's teaching these kids.

These guys know from the moment our coaches enter their homes on a recruiting trip that the only reason we're recruiting them is because we're about winning. Not nine games a year, not ten games a year, but every game, every year.

I cannot fathom how you can have a problem with Martinez stating that we're here to win the national championship. What would you rather have him say, that he hopes we break .500? That he hopes we eke our way into a bowl game? What kind of culture would we be building here if we felt that way?

Personally, I think Taylor Martinez is a college kid who, not unlike any time prior, is uncomfortable in an interview setting. Furthermore, they're all coached on how to do deal with the media, and it might surprise just how often they're thinking about this during an interview. It leads to stale answers or answers that really don't make a lot of sense sometimes.

Regardless, he just wants to win a championship like every other kid who plays at a major division one school. I think you're looking into something way too deeply.

• Fire 1

Okay, I like Tmart and all but this is a stupid thing to say on many levels:

"I think as a team right now we're not really striving for a Big Ten championship, we're striving for a national championship," Martinez said. "If we accomplish the national championship, everything else will fall into place."

Besides the locker room fodder and the setting of ridiculously high expectations, I want to know - what else can possibly fall in place, AFTER you win the natl title? That doesn't even make sense. Like, he will find himself fulfilled as a human being, or what?

I guess how you come down on this depends on how big a Kool-Aid drinker you are. After last year, I am going to refrain from imbibing. The last couple seasons have cost me too many years of my life.

Jags_fan.gif

Is it Saturday yet?

• Fire 1

Can you find something dumber to whine about?

obviously, we are just going to have to live without a grammatically and thoughtfully organized narrative from TM...he can use his field talents to impress me.......

Where have you been these past three years? All Bo talks about is winning championships. This is the culture he's building in this program, the thought that we should EXPECT to win national championships, to excel, to compete. That is what he's teaching these kids.

These guys know from the moment our coaches enter their homes on a recruiting trip that the only reason we're recruiting them is because we're about winning. Not nine games a year, not ten games a year, but every game, every year.

I cannot fathom how you can have a problem with Martinez stating that we're here to win the national championship. What would you rather have him say, that he hopes we break .500? That he hopes we eke our way into a bowl game? What kind of culture would we be building here if we felt that way?

i don't think anyone would disagree with you on this point Knap, it just sounded a little strange, that's all.

• Fire 1

I'm thinking he is talking about the everything will fall into place part, not the part about winning championships. If you win a MNC, then that is the last piece and there is nothing else that can fall into place, cause everything else has already fallen into place to get there.

• Fire 2

i don't think anyone would disagree with you on this point Knap, it just sounded a little strange, that's all.

QB's are suppose to be cocky and expect to win. I liked hearing that a few people today, said, "Taylor is a much better passer". We all know he can run, if his passing has improved, NU will be much better. If he butchers a few lines, no big deal. "Were talking about a press conference"

"a press conference"