Ok, what are you hiding?

So much for FOIA

Like other reporters, I submitted several Freedom of Information Act requests to the public schools in the Big 12 on behalf of CBSSports.com earlier this month. Why? To see if I could get a clearer picture about what was happening behind the realignment curtain. While more and more school presidents and athletic directors are getting smarter about picking up the phone rather than leaving a paper trail about these matters, there's still plenty of information that has to travel to or from various .edu addresses around the league in regards to the Aggies possible departure.

Though I am not the only one to submit these requests, I did get an interesting call today from the legal office at one of the schools. Part of my request would be delayed because it had to be sent to the Texas Attorney General to make a ruling. Why, I asked, was this?

The Big 12 didn't like me taking a look at their business.

One of the things that I requested were any emails sent from schools to the league office with certain keywords. These emails are public record because they were from a public official at a... you guessed it, public institution and subject to open records laws. Of course, the conference office didn't see things that way. The Big 12 sent a notice to schools saying that they do not agree to the release of any of the information contained in the emails.

Sorry Dan Beebe, that's not going to fly.

Sending it to the Texas Attorney General is just a delaying tactic. They know the emails will need to be turned over. Eventually.

The writer should have submitted some very creative key words, then written an article about his request being denied. I would have submitted a FOIA request for all communications containing the keywords: recruiting, recruits, party, alcohol, cocaine, shemales, handcuffs, latex, orangutan, and hospital.

Sending it to the Texas Attorney General is just a delaying tactic. They know the emails will need to be turned over. Eventually.

The writer should have submitted some very creative key words, then written an article about his request being denied. I would have submitted a FOIA request for all communications containing the keywords: recruiting, recruits, party, alcohol, cocaine, shemales, handcuffs, latex, orangutan, and hospital.

Most of those made me think more of the Miami situation instead of the Implosion 12's

Most of those made me think more of the Miami situation instead of the Implosion 12's

Yeah, I guess I'd have to come up with a dictatorship themed set of keywords.

Yeah, I guess I'd have to come up with a dictatorship themed set of keywords.

I say submit it anyway, it'd be hillarious to see the response lol.

The only thing that may save the Big XII is that anything that is currently in closed business discussion may be exempted from the FoIA--didn't Sipple try to do a FoIA when we were separating from the Big XII, and this was the excuse provided to him at that time?

The only thing that may save the Big XII is that anything that is currently in closed business discussion may be exempted from the FoIA--didn't Sipple try to do a FoIA when we were separating from the Big XII, and this was the excuse provided to him at that time?

If these rumors about Mizzou and OU being unhappy are true, that conference is DUNZO.

They survived NU and CU leaving, are going to survive A&M...but if any more leave...