B1G Tiebreaking Rules Released

GSG

OK, let's get to the tiebreaker procedures.

Here's the basic one: When two teams tie atop the division, the winner of their head-to-head matchup goes to the league title game.

It gets more complex when three or more teams tie atop a division. The following seven methods will be used, in order, to determine a champion or reduce the group to two teams, where a head-to-head tiebreaker then can be used:

-- Records of the tied teams are compared with each other

-- Records of the tied teams are compared within the division

-- Records of the teams are compared against the next-highest teams within the division

-- Records are compared against all common conference opponents

-- The team ranked highest in the BCS standings after the regular season goes to the league championship game unless it is ranked within one spot of another tied team. In this case, the head-to-head result of the two teams determines the division champion

-- The team with the highest overall win percentage (outside of exempted games)

-- The division champion will be chosen by random draw

The rest of the rules are here: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/31640/the-big-tens-complex-division-tiebreakers

Here's the basic one: When two teams tie atop the division, the winner of their head-to-head matchup goes to the league title game.

It gets more complex when three or more teams tie atop a division. The following seven methods will be used, in order, to determine a champion or reduce the group to two teams, where a head-to-head tiebreaker then can be used:

-- Records of the teams are compared against the next-highest teams within the division

-- The team ranked highest in the BCS standings after the regular season goes to the league championship game unless it is ranked within one spot of another tied team. In this case, the head-to-head result of the two teams determines the division champion

The rest of the rules are here: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/31640/the-big-tens-complex-division-tiebreakers

That is my favorite part! We can't figure it out so we will write your names on a piece of paper and draw it out of a hat :dunno

I don't understand why these two wouldn't be flipped around. I think this is the order most conferences use, but it doesn't make sense to me. You're trying to pick a champion for the division, so shouldn't your division record be the first thing you look at? Say Iowa, MSU and NU are all tied, but one team played OSU, PSU, Wisc and the other two teams played Ill, Ind, Purdue. The team that lost to OSU but only lost once in division would get scrapped while the two that beat up on the nancies but lost 2 in division get to move on to the head-to-head tie breaker. Seems like a rotten deal to me...

That is my favorite part! We can't figure it out so we will write your names on a piece of paper and draw it out of a hat :dunno

I would prefer rock, paper, scissors.

I don't understand why these two wouldn't be flipped around. I think this is the order most conferences use, but it doesn't make sense to me. You're trying to pick a champion for the division, so shouldn't your division record be the first thing you look at? Say Iowa, MSU and NU are all tied, but one team played OSU, PSU, Wisc and the other two teams played Ill, Ind, Purdue. The team that lost to OSU but only lost once in division would get scrapped while the two that beat up on the nancies but lost 2 in division get to move on to the head-to-head tie breaker. Seems like a rotten deal to me...

I think you may be reading it wrong, but I'm not sure.

The way I read the first tiebreaker, it is the record of the teams against each other only. So if Iowa beat both MSU and NU, they would go. But if the 3 teams were 1-1 against the other 2, you go to the division record.

I'm not sure how you're reading it that would put the teams with 2 division losses ahead.

The random draw is protect against the near impossibility that the 3 teams have identical BCS ratings. It'll never come down to that.

• Fire 1

I think you may be reading it wrong, but I'm not sure.

The way I read the first tiebreaker, it is the record of the teams against each other only. So if Iowa beat both MSU and NU, they would go. But if the 3 teams were 1-1 against the other 2, you go to the division record.

I'm not sure how you're reading it that would put the teams with 2 division losses ahead.

The random draw is protect against the near impossibility that the 3 teams have identical BCS ratings. It'll never come down to that.

Yep, I was reading that wrong.

I assumed that since the paragraph says 'If 3 are tied, these are the 7 ways...', we had already taken into account 1-1 records amongst those 3 teams. That's not correct. The 3 way tie, I believe, is only accounting for overall conference record. From there it moves on to the round-robin record. Thanks for the help!