Beck vs Watson game 1

nepolo7

NONE of it makes a difference if they don't BLOCK.

Play calling/strategy wasn't the problem. It all started up front. DL is overrated and the OL is below average.

How was the Dline over rated?

Giving up 2 yards per carry, 3 sacks. They had a lot of quick passes to help their young Oline.

Getting shoved around by 1AA schools doesn't bode well.

I really didnt see that, Im not trying to start anything but they werent getting shoved around.

Well, truly amazingly, TWICE we ran the ball on 3rd & short (both for 1st downs).

In 10,000 yrs Callawatts would NEVER do that.

lol, this is not true. Maybe 3rd and short was a 50% down, but in no way was it 100% passing. And I think if you go back and look at it, it didn't work out too badly.

I can think of at least one third and short that did not work out though. 3 straight __ & shorts on the goalline actually, and stuffed. If running is a strength, then that situation needs to be one where we threaten the pass. We will have a much easier job of it then 60 or 70% of the time we run on 3rd and 2 or less if we pass sometimes.

carlfense, I don't remember seeing our DL shoved around so much as the complete opposite. Maybe I just focused on some of the earlier bright spots.

EZ, I'm glad someone agrees with me on the option. We ran some interesting plays off that idea but you know the plays that we are talking about.

NONE of it makes a difference if they don't BLOCK.

Play calling/strategy wasn't the problem. It all started up front. DL is overrated and the OL is below average.

How was the Dline over rated?

Giving up 2 yards per carry, 3 sacks. They had a lot of quick passes to help their young Oline.

Getting shoved around by 1AA schools doesn't bode well.

I actually thought the D-line played pretty good. IIRC, UT-Chat would put 5 on the line and bring the RB up to block against our 4 O-linemen. What I was disappointed in, aside from David, the LB corps was lacking. On the few plays the LB's would try to run thru the line, they would get stopped all together. Overall, I thought the defense in general did pretty good. Their lone TD was a fluke with Green tripping over his own feet.

My thoughts:

This ain't 1995 (obviously). And Nebraska isn't going to be able to be vanilla and dominate. This means Taylor is going to have to pass effectively if they're ever going to put up lots of points. And he still throws off his back foot and zeros in on receivers. . Needs work.

Having said that, when Taylor stopped trying to be everything, it all got a lot easier.

The Mocs stuffed nine in the box, and NU stayed vanilla. That will not happen when conf play opens. And anymore there's too much talent to plow nine with six. Even if it is an FCS team.

Finally, Fresno lost to a Pissass Cal team, UW struggled and beat an FCS team by 3, and Wyoming is Wyoming. Lots of time to iron things out.

Well, truly amazingly, TWICE we ran the ball on 3rd & short (both for 1st downs).

Exactly, normally would we see a screen or draw play that would leave us scratching our heads.

Or a horizontal pass that was badly thrown or dropped.

lol, this is not true. Maybe 3rd and short was a 50% down, but in no way was it 100% passing. And I think if you go back and look at it, it didn't work out too badly.

I can think of at least one third and short that did not work out though. 3 straight __ & shorts on the goalline actually, and stuffed. If running is a strength, then that situation needs to be one where we threaten the pass. We will have a much easier job of it then 60 or 70% of the time we run on 3rd and 2 or less if we pass sometimes.

carlfense, I don't remember seeing our DL shoved around so much as the complete opposite. Maybe I just focused on some of the earlier bright spots.

EZ, I'm glad someone agrees with me on the option. We ran some interesting plays off that idea but you know the plays that we are talking about.

As I mentioned, twice in a row? When did Callawatts do that?

Gee, I don't know. I'll have to pull up every game log we've had from 2008 to 2010.

But if we were somewhere between 40-to-60% running on 3rd and short, I'd be surprised if there weren't a few times where consecutive third and shorts were run plays.

I just care about the conversion % on these situations.

Exactly, normally would we see a screen or draw play that would leave us scratching our heads.

I don't think I saw a screen the entire time Watson was here

really? how could you forget the screen pass to paul in '09 against TTU that was dropped, ignored, and ran back for a TTU td?

I don't think I saw a screen the entire time Watson was here

really? how could you forget the screen pass to paul in '09 against TTU that was dropped, ignored, and ran back for a TTU td?

Or the pick-six against OU in '08...