The one thing that still bugs me

husker_99

is that we are too reliant on big plays to score td's. We need solid drives that end in touchdowns and not field goals. this is why we lose to good opponents and will/have lose big games. Big plays should be a plus not the only way to score touchdowns.

I agree. We have so much talent in the RB positions, let's use them! If we are a 'running team' then let's run but not always have the qb run. He's going to end up getting hurt. I would much prefer to just move the ball up the field, burn up clock than to have a few big plays and stall the rest of the game.

This is what the team signed up for with Taylor, to be honest.

It is very rare that you get both. Either you have a QB who has that big-play ability (running or passing), or you have a QB who can play smart but not threaten to score on any given play. Now, when you get both, is when you get a generational type superstar. Those do not necessarily come along every decade.

So it should not be a shock that we are building the offense around that home run stick. That's the strength, the extra edge that it has.

is that we are too reliant on big plays to score td's. We need solid drives that end in touchdowns and not field goals. this is why we lose to good opponents and will/have lose big games. Big plays should be a plus not the only way to score touchdowns.

I agree. We have so much talent in the RB positions, let's use them! If we are a 'running team' then let's run but not always have the qb run. He's going to end up getting hurt. I would much prefer to just move the ball up the field, burn up clock than to have a few big plays and stall the rest of the game.

That's easier said than done. It seems to me that other than Burkhead's big run, most of our RB plays were getting stuffed

Was only the first game. We will learn a lot from week 1 to week 2.

Reiteration is getting old around here.

We should have manhandled them. We didn't. You do know this happened all last season too right? It's not old. why can't we have a nice solid drive that ends in a td?

New OC, new Playbook. New offensive staff members(OC, WR, OL) Takes time to gel in game situations.

Edit. this was a glorified practice, plenty of young guys got their feet wet, coaches as well. Corrections will be made.

There were a couple of drives in there that had potential, it's just we couldn't convert on third downs and had to kick some field goals.

I do share your sentiment about the big play, however. With Martinez' runs, you have to wonder how the final score might have looked. Then again, one thing people should consider is what if Martinez got tackled after minimal gains instead of the long touchdown runs he had? Maybe on the fourth and one he scored on he only gets five yards, and then they take a couple more plays and get into the end zone. His athleticism cut short drives that could have taken longer.

We were also having a lot of tiny miscues on Saturday, though. Missed block here, bad technique there, misunderstanding of the play over there, dropped ball, etc., some of the little things just kept piling up. We're young, both on the talent level and on the coaching level. We will get better.

Was only the first game. We will learn a lot from week 1 to week 2.

Reiteration is getting old around here.

We should have manhandled them. We didn't. You do know this happened all last season too right? It's not old. why can't we have a nice solid drive that ends in a td?

New OC, new Playbook. New offensive staff members(OC, WR, OL) Takes time to gel in game situations.

Edit. this was a glorified practice, plenty of young guys got their feet wet, coaches as well. Corrections will be made.

Ok let me ask you this. What if we had no big plays in the game? would you be happy with a 12-7 win over a mediocre FCS team? I know i sure as hell wouldn't be. First game or not.

There were drives though...you have to understand that just because we didn't score on a nice long drive, doesn't mean we didn't have a couple of pretty good drives. It's a transition, and things aren't going to click week 1.

No i wouldn't expect everything to click week one but they have been practising against a great defense for the summer. We played a mediocre FCS team.

I didn't think the offense was super impressive or anything, but I'm not going to rush to judgement. The play calling seems alright, and it was obvious at times that they were running certain plays (cough*option*cough) multiple times to get in some real world practice. I'm OK with that, because it gives them more to work with when it comes to improving for the next game.

There's a lot of newness around, so I'm not going to worry *too* much bout certain issues until game 3 or 4. I agree that it seems like we're having some of the same issues from last year, but things are a whole lot different now, so it's hard to directly compare it to last season.

There were drives though...you have to understand that just because we didn't score on a nice long drive, doesn't mean we didn't have a couple of pretty good drives. It's a transition, and things aren't going to click week 1.

This.

Here are the number of plays and yardage on our scoring drives from Saturday.

4 plays - 63 yards, Touchdown

7 - 27, field goal

12 - 40, field goal

10 - 76, touchdown

8 - 40, field goal

7 - 38, field goal

1 - 3, touchdown

1 - 47, touchdown

It wasn't a perfect game, but there were some decent drives that consisted of moving the chains and using a lot of plays. Hopefully against Fresno St, if they fix just a few of their issues, a couple of those field goal drives will turn into long touchdown drives.

I'm also getting more an idea for just how much we held back. Mike Caputo just said at the Monday presser that we actually stayed in our slowest tempo on offense for the entire game. I think last Saturday was entirely a "let's get our feet wet" experience.