DBs?

kyle sibert

Well, here's the thing... He gets paid the big bucks to coach the big boys and you and I don't. And we haven't even seen how they'll perform in the Big 10. I'll withhold my judgement on whether his philosophy is correct or not after I see our good CB run his style (the youngin's won't be as good a reflection right now). So yeah, sorry, I'm going to take the professional's word on it until I see for myself otherwise over someone on the internets. Feel free to do the opposite if you want, but don't expect me to respect your opinions, lol.

... What did I do not warrant respect? I don't see what the professional has done to gain anyones...

... What did I do not warrant respect? I don't see what the professional has done to gain anyones...

You mean beyond, I don't know, being hired by Pelini? Obviously Pelini sees something in him. Would you rather listen to a civil engineer about building a bridge, or a homeless person that lives underneath them? It's the exact same thing. That homeless person MIGHT be right and that civil engineer MIGHT be wrong, but hey, the betting man says the engineer is right and the hobo is wrong.

You mean beyond, I don't know, being hired by Pelini? Obviously Pelini sees something in him. Would you rather listen to a civil engineer about building a bridge, or a homeless person that lives underneath them? It's the exact same thing. That homeless person MIGHT be right and that civil engineer MIGHT be wrong, but hey, the betting man says the engineer is right and the hobo is wrong.

Being hired by Pelini semi last minute after the predecessor was unexpectedly gone.

You didn't really tell the whole story with your engineer/hobo analogy. "Would you rather listen to a civil engineer whose bridge is collapsing, killing several people about building a bridge , or a homeless person that lives underneath them?"

You have no idea how our CB's will perform as the season goes on. And the only true judge of how his philosophy works is with an experienced CB, like Dennard. So yeah, no basis for your claim whatsoever. Nice try, though.

You're missing the point here. I was questioning why change what worked so well last year. I am completely aware of the lack of experience at corner right now, but this decision was made before a certain hamstring injury.

But you go on, thinking I have absolutely no right to post my opinions on an internet forum...

And yet I never said you had no right to post them, did I? Reading comprehension ftl? I said I didn't respect them. :facepalm:

Raymond himself answered your question on why there's a change. The fact that you disagree with it, without even having seen a real product (Dennard) on the field, is what makes me have no respect for your opinions. Because unless you're coaching in the FBS, I'm taking Raymond's opinion as more likely to be correct than yours until I'm shown otherwise.

Thanks.

Chill out it's a forum. We're discussing observations we've made. Perhaps Ebyl you could call up the coaching staff and get an explanation straight from the horses mouth. Until then we're left to talk about what we saw and what WE think. So you support the coaching staff blindly. That's great for you. Cosgrove coached at several D1 schools. We stunk defensively in 07. Why? Coaching Philosophy. Coach Bo took that same group of kids and made them better in 08. Philosophy.

Anyway...I think we'll get a better idea of how our cornerbacks will play under this new coach once we see Dennard and how he is asked to play.

Anyway...I think we'll get a better idea of how our cornerbacks will play under this new coach once we see Dennard and how he is asked to play.

This is exactly what I'm saying. I support a member of the coaching staff over some random internet person when we have yet to see a real product from said coaching staff member. I'd at least like to see how Dennard plays and handles things under the new philosophy before I go thinking changing was a bad idea. Now if we get to the end of the season and Dennard isn't performing well under the new philosphy (and I expect our other CB's to improve as we go along), then yeah, I'll be right there questioning it, too.

Edit - And I don't need to call the coaching staff to get an explanation. An article was posted IN THIS VERY THREAD that explains it, right from the horse's mouth.

Well, he's claiming just that style won't work in the Big 10. So maybe that is a good reason for change if he's correct. I think your answer is right there in the very article you provided.

This.

I remember reading over the off-season that the coaches believed the type of secondary physicality we got away with in the Big 12 won't work in the Big 10. From their film studies, my guess is they saw a lot of guys getting flagged in the secondary.

Furthermore, think about who we DON'T have in the secondary this year - Prince Amukamara, Eric Hagg, Dejon Gomes and Alfonzo Dennard (for probably a couple more weeks). Hagg and Gomes are probably the biggest hits to this defense imho. They both covered the middle of the field exceedingly well for us last year, allowing us to have one of the best pass defenses in the country. We don't have that experience at their respective positions right now and it was obvious last night.

I got really worried when I read about Raymond changing so much. You dont change something thats already having so much success. Period.

Honestly, quit worrying about something like this when Carl is Raymond's superior and Bo is Carl's superior. With a Pelini in charge, the right defensive decisions are going to get made.

i posted a link to an article during fall camp and expressed concern about this. most people here thought that Raymond knows something we don't about B10 play and that having both techniques is better than just hammering all day long. I'm still in a toss up: if our guys can't jam the whole game, we're gonna see some long completions. So don't ask them to do something they're not capable of doing

But i still believe jamming a guy throws off the timing of the whole route and gives the Dline that extra step to get to the QB..

from the defense of 07 to 08', one thing that made us seem instantly better was that our DBs were right near the WR whether they caught it or not. It seemed we instantly tackled playeers with the ball or were right there on an imcompletion. the first 2 games this year, guys are catching balls on us and it's like, "where is the DB even at?" ...a step or two late, showing off his great new foot technique

So what does Raymond tell his cornerbacks?

"That they have to know how to play both styles," he said. "They have to know how to play the physical game, but you also have to know how to play the finesse game, too. You have to be able to mix it up."

That's from the posted article. It sure sounds to me like he's advocating keeping the physical aspect and using it when appropriate rather than just abandoning it altogether.

Also...

"He still can be very aggressive," Raymond said. "He just has to know when to do it and when not to do it."

So yeah, straight from the horse's mouth, and it doesn't quite sound like we're teaching our CB's to be pussies. In addition, he also commented that getting good output with your D-line is an important factor in how your secondary plays, which is very true. I'm just not seeing anything to worry over regarding his philosophy.