ND & Texass lifting their skirts for Delaney

notgoodatmath

http://northwestern.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=57&mid=162755759&sid=901&tid=162755759&style=1

Conference Officials Meet; New Texas Faction Strongly Pushes for B1G Invite Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Ten officials met today to discuss how the conference could and should accommodate both Texas and ND. In short, the conference believes that the membership of each school can be accomplished largely within the context of the terms presented. Some other interesting developments have taken place in the last few days.

Over the weekend, a new group of Texas stakeholders made a very aggressive push to the Big Ten conference to invite UT to the conference in the short term. The scenario proposed would involve the start of athletic competition in the conference by UT as early as 2012. This group did include official representatives of the university, along with other influential boosters. In response, the conference expressed the need to speak with only one consistent, designated group of UT representatives.

Separately, the more familiar UT representatives, who have conducted conversations with the Big Ten in the past, reaffirmed the approach that Texas should not initiate the breakup of the Big XII conference in order to join the Big Ten for political considerations. These representatives once again stated to conference officials that membership in the Big Ten conference (in accord with the terms presented last week) remains Texas' preferred conference affiliation option. The Big Ten also strongly impressed upon this group of UT representatives the need for university representatives to conduct conversations with the conference in one unified voice.

However, in discussions related to the terms presented, the Big Ten responded favorably. The Big Ten is preliminarily in agreement, particularly with the scheduling considerations and the "approximate" target date of 2014 for affiliation. The conference also strongly affirmed that it will not allow third parties, especially third party television networks not controlled by the conference or the universities, to dictate or strongly influence the terms of membership in the conference for either school. The conference expressed its displeasure with the manipulative reporting disseminated by certain television networks.

Conference officials believe that significant potential synergies exist between the Longhorn Network and the Big Ten Network. The officials expressed the belief that all of the expanded conference's stakeholders can achieve this potential with greatly reduced third party network involvement. Each network would gain significant opportunities to independently grow and expand together, under the control of the Big Ten Conference and its expanded institutional membership (and specifically NOT through control delegated to third party television networks). The super network that would result from this affiliation could dictate the terms of viewership in a way that ultimately benefits the mission of the expanded conference and its schools, along with their supporters. The Big Ten will remain open to any arrangement, including the formation of regionalized "Big Ten Networks," that ultimately achieve this goal.

Big Ten officials initiated conversations with Notre Dame stakeholders to keep them apprised of the discussions with both groups of Texas representatives.

Also over the weekend, a group of representatives from the University of Oklahoma again contacted the Big Ten regarding the potential for their own membership in the conference, in what was characterized as a "last ditch effort." The Big Ten once again respectfully informed that group that the Council of Presidents and Chancellors has already ruled out the addition of either Oklahoma school, primarily over concerns related to academic fit within the conference.

For some reason, I just feel Texas and ND will be in the B10 in a couple years. The B10 is not going to add just anybody and the dollars Texas and ND bring in could support adding two lesser (in terms of revenue) schools from the east. The B10 is not going to add teams like Rutgers, Kansas, Syracuse, Maryland because everyone else is going to take a pay cut.

Texass football is in serious decline, they need to cash in before they go completely belly up. This would open up Texass recruiting to the entire B1G, especially Nebraska since we already have that pipeline in place. plus the backs of all the other texas bottom feeders would be broken. This is about the only way the B1G can expand and increase revenue.

Conference officials believe that significant potential synergies exist between the Longhorn Network and the Big Ten Network. The officials expressed the belief that all of the expanded conference's stakeholders can achieve this potential with greatly reduced third party network involvement. Each network would gain significant opportunities to independently grow and expand together, under the control of the Big Ten Conference and its expanded institutional membership (and specifically NOT through control delegated to third party television networks). The super network that would result from this affiliation could dictate the terms of viewership in a way that ultimately benefits the mission of the expanded conference and its schools, along with their supporters. The Big Ten will remain open to any arrangement, including the formation of regionalized "Big Ten Networks," that ultimately achieve this goal.

So, in short, ESPN is either kicked to the curb or neutered to a minority share holder in the channel (not unlike how Fox is a minority holder in the BTN), and the LHN becomes BTN2.

Dunno if ESPN is going to go for that--they put a lot of money and effort into that channel to start it up. Getting ESPN to give it up to Fox may cost the Big 10 a lot...assuming that ESPN's ego won't let them become a minority shareholder in the network. And now the BTN has not one, but two channels they are expanding with nationally--it was like pulling teeth to get the BTN on Lincoln and Omaha carriers--image trying to get a second BTN channel set up locally all through the Big 10 footprint.

Plus, remember all of the hand-wringing that took place about our baseball program going to the Big 10? Multiply that by x100 with Texas.

This may have legs, but Texas will really have to prostate themselves before the Big 10. Texas is *finally* aware of the negative image they've given themselves, and while I'm sure Delaney wouldn't have a problem admitting them, the shenanigans Texas made means there will need to be certain assurances.

Plus, I'm sure Dr. Tom will make sure that Delaney pushes for certain stipulations to avoid the problems experienced in the Big XII. Namely, that the offices of the Big 10 stay in Chicago, the title game either rotates between the JerryDome and Indy or stays in Indy...

Texass football is in serious decline, they need to cash in before they go completely belly up. This would open up Texass recruiting to the entire B1G, especially Nebraska since we already have that pipeline in place. plus the backs of all the other texas bottom feeders would be broken. This is about the only way the B1G can expand and increase revenue.

I wouldn't say that. They're still one of the most valuable college sports properties out there, their merch still sells (lots of t-shirt alums in Texas), and they sell at least 75% of their stadium (though for how much longer?)

Plus, remember that the SEC will now be raiding Texas thanks to A&M. The Big 10, IMO, is the only conference that could counter any sort of cultural shift in Texas recruiting--fighting fire with fire, if you will. I don't see the Pac-12 as being able to go in and fight off SEC culture--at least until their TV network is up and running.

Frankly, if Texas doesn't fight what A&M has done, their recruiting will ultimately suffer and they will be perennially what they have been in the past--a has been.

Texass has zero chance in getting into the Big Ten. A team must fit culturally within the conference that was one of the many stipulations. Plus no one is going to take their crap at all. I don't think the Big Ten is that desparate enough to invite a team that will only ruin the conference.

I originally scoffed at this, but I've since heard other non-Texas school items that make me think that there are legs to this.

And as my friend reminded me the other day, Delaney wants to expand the Big 10 into the South--what better way to do it than grab Texas?

And yes, Texas is the hawt, yet bat feces crazy chick that you can't stand to wake up next to in bed. But if you take away some of her toys, put her on Prozac, and use a firm hand when necessary, then she can actually change her mannerisms.

Texass has zero chance in getting into the Big Ten. A team must fit culturally within the conference that was one of the many stipulations. Plus no one is going to take their crap at all. I don't think the Big Ten is that desparate enough to invite a team that will only ruin the conference.

I originally scoffed at this, but I've since heard other non-Texas school items that make me think that there are legs to this.

And as my friend reminded me the other day, Delaney wants to expand the Big 10 into the South--what better way to do it than grab Texas?

And yes, Texas is the hawt, yet bat feces crazy chick that you can't stand to wake up next to in bed. But if you take away some of her toys, put her on Prozac, and use a firm hand when necessary, then she can actually change her mannerisms.

I think our AD will kindly point out reasons why Texass should not be invited. Texass may be hot but no one puts up with a headache for long. Delaney may want to expand into the South but that doesn't mean it will happen. Plus Texass would have to give up a lot of control which i don't see happening.

Don't kid yourself, Delaney would jump at the chance to add Texas to the Big Ten, even if Notre Dame wasn't a moving buddy. He would also be able to drum up support for such a move among the other conference members. IF this does happen, I seriously doubt it would be a repeat of the Big 8/SWC merger. I don't think he or the conference would allow something like that to to take place.

Unlike most, I think this would be a good thing.

:lol:

Like Judoka, I too think this would be a good thing and like everyone here, I too despise TexA$$ and the fan base but that doesn't change the facts. Adding TexA$$ and ND would instantly change the college landscape in athletics while not infringing on the B1G's academia. Time to accept change. The NCAA is moving into Super Conferences and I'd prefer to be in the best of best myself.

GBR!!!!

and....

B1G for the win!

Like Judoka, I too think this would be a good thing and like everyone here, I too despise TexA$$ and the fan base but that doesn't change the facts. Adding TexA$$ and ND would instantly change the college landscape in athletics while not infringing on the B1G's academia. Time to accept change. The NCAA is moving into Super Conferences and I'd prefer to be in the best of best myself.

GBR!!!!

and....

B1G for the win!

Texass won't come because they don't want to leave their last rivalry game which is OU. A&M isn't as big as RRR. OU isn't coming to the Big Ten. So either Pac or SEC for Texass. Plus if Texass leaves Baylor will just sue and have a much better case.