ND & Texass lifting their skirts for Delaney

notgoodatmath

Like Judoka, I too think this would be a good thing and like everyone here, I too despise TexA$$ and the fan base but that doesn't change the facts. Adding TexA$$ and ND would instantly change the college landscape in athletics while not infringing on the B1G's academia. Time to accept change. The NCAA is moving into Super Conferences and I'd prefer to be in the best of best myself.

GBR!!!!

and....

B1G for the win!

Texass won't come because they don't want to leave their last rivalry game which is OU. A&M isn't as big as RRR. OU isn't coming to the Big Ten. So either Pac or SEC for Texass. Plus if Texass leaves Baylor will just sue and have a much better case.

Interesting, in a thread you started, you said that Texas would probably destroy the rivalry. link

Like Judoka, I too think this would be a good thing and like everyone here, I too despise TexA$$ and the fan base but that doesn't change the facts. Adding TexA$$ and ND would instantly change the college landscape in athletics while not infringing on the B1G's academia. Time to accept change. The NCAA is moving into Super Conferences and I'd prefer to be in the best of best myself.

GBR!!!!

and....

B1G for the win!

Texass won't come because they don't want to leave their last rivalry game which is OU. A&M isn't as big as RRR. OU isn't coming to the Big Ten. So either Pac or SEC for Texass. Plus if Texass leaves Baylor will just sue and have a much better case.

I see where you're coming from, but I honestly think a historic rival takes a backseat to being left out in the cold when the super conference pieces start moving.

Texas is not going to structure their plan of action on what Oklahoma decides to do. Texas will do what they always do, which is to look out for their own best interests regardless of anything else. If that means going B1G while Oklahoma smokes trees on the west coast, they'll do it.

I for one am conflicted. I despise Texas, I truly do. But I want to see the B1G emerge from the conference realignment dust as one of the top conferences in the nation every single year. Texas and Notre Dame bring some (sickeningly obnoxious) weight and cache with them. God...I can't even believe I'd entertain the thought of having the Longhorns joining the B1G as a potentially good thing. I don't even know who I am anymore.

GBR!!!!

and....

B1G for the win!

Interesting, in a thread you started, you said that Texas would probably destroy the rivalry. link

Well i meant that Texass wanted to destroy other rivalries as long they kept theirs. You know indirectly. But that article linked says thst Stoops wouldn't be as sad not to play Texass anymore if that's the way it went.

GBR!!!!

and....

B1G for the win!

I see where you're coming from, but I honestly think a historic rival takes a backseat to being left out in the cold when the super conference pieces start moving.

Texas is not going to structure their plan of action on what Oklahoma decides to do. Texas will do what they always do, which is to look out for their own best interests regardless of anything else. If that means going B1G while Oklahoma smokes trees on the west coast, they'll do it.

I for one am conflicted. I despise Texas, I truly do. But I want to see the B1G emerge from the conference realignment dust as one of the top conferences in the nation every single year. Texas and Notre Dame bring some (sickeningly obnoxious) weight and cache with them. God...I can't even believe I'd entertain the thought of having the Longhorns joining the B1G as a potentially good thing. I don't even know who I am anymore.

I do think that the Big Ten will let another conference be a guinea pig for 16 members. It might not even be feasable. Super conferences have kinda cooled down and now they would be more afraid of more changes and probably just let the dust settle. To be a top conference you have to beat other conferences continually. Big Ten can't beat SEC. Plus i think that Texass wants to keep their network intact so probably find another conference willing to let them keep it. ACC and SEC are willing.

Well i meant that Texass wanted to destroy other rivalries as long they kept theirs. You know indirectly. But that article linked says thst Stoops wouldn't be as sad not to play Texass anymore if that's the way it went.

I do think that the Big Ten will let another conference be a guinea pig for 16 members. It might not even be feasable. Super conferences have kinda cooled down and now they would be more afraid of more changes and probably just let the dust settle. To be a top conference you have to beat other conferences continually. Big Ten can't beat SEC. Plus i think that Texass wants to keep their network intact so probably find another conference willing to let them keep it. ACC and SEC are willing.

1. Thanks for the clarification.

2. I also agree that the Conference expansion bug may be waning, but if Texas and ND are available, Delaney takes them. There could also be another reason for rumor. link

If you scroll down to post #417 this explanation seems reasonable. From what I remember Delaney is against a playoff and a league with 4 super conferences puts that reality much closer to being.

Conference officials believe that significant potential synergies exist between the Longhorn Network and the Big Ten Network. The officials expressed the belief that all of the expanded conference's stakeholders can achieve this potential with greatly reduced third party network involvement. Each network would gain significant opportunities to independently grow and expand together, under the control of the Big Ten Conference and its expanded institutional membership (and specifically NOT through control delegated to third party television networks). The super network that would result from this affiliation could dictate the terms of viewership in a way that ultimately benefits the mission of the expanded conference and its schools, along with their supporters. The Big Ten will remain open to any arrangement, including the formation of regionalized "Big Ten Networks," that ultimately achieve this goal.

So, in short, ESPN is either kicked to the curb or neutered to a minority share holder in the channel (not unlike how Fox is a minority holder in the BTN), and the LHN becomes BTN2.

Dunno if ESPN is going to go for that--they put a lot of money and effort into that channel to start it up. Getting ESPN to give it up to Fox may cost the Big 10 a lot...assuming that ESPN's ego won't let them become a minority shareholder in the network. And now the BTN has not one, but two channels they are expanding with nationally--it was like pulling teeth to get the BTN on Lincoln and Omaha carriers--image trying to get a second BTN channel set up locally all through the Big 10 footprint.

Plus, remember all of the hand-wringing that took place about our baseball program going to the Big 10? Multiply that by x100 with Texas.

This may have legs, but Texas will really have to prostate themselves before the Big 10. Texas is *finally* aware of the negative image they've given themselves, and while I'm sure Delaney wouldn't have a problem admitting them, the shenanigans Texas made means there will need to be certain assurances.

Plus, I'm sure Dr. Tom will make sure that Delaney pushes for certain stipulations to avoid the problems experienced in the Big XII. Namely, that the offices of the Big 10 stay in Chicago, the title game either rotates between the JerryDome and Indy or stays in Indy...

Texass football is in serious decline, they need to cash in before they go completely belly up. This would open up Texass recruiting to the entire B1G, especially Nebraska since we already have that pipeline in place. plus the backs of all the other texas bottom feeders would be broken. This is about the only way the B1G can expand and increase revenue.

I wouldn't say that. They're still one of the most valuable college sports properties out there, their merch still sells (lots of t-shirt alums in Texas), and they sell at least 75% of their stadium (though for how much longer?)

Plus, remember that the SEC will now be raiding Texas thanks to A&M. The Big 10, IMO, is the only conference that could counter any sort of cultural shift in Texas recruiting--fighting fire with fire, if you will. I don't see the Pac-12 as being able to go in and fight off SEC culture--at least until their TV network is up and running.

Frankly, if Texas doesn't fight what A&M has done, their recruiting will ultimately suffer and they will be perennially what they have been in the past--a has been.

I don't think ESPN has a lot of say overall in the network when it comes to anyone other then Texas and Texas can basically tear up the contract in the event of realignment from my understanding. Sure you probably don't want to piss ESPN off totally, but really aside from suing to recoup sunk costs related to network startup and throwing the spin machine into reverse to bash Texas rather then try and promote them there really isn't a whole lot they can do.

I also don't think they are going to try and punish the big ten. These regional conference networks are direct competitors. If they push these conferences are going to take the inventory that pays the ESPN bills in the fall and sell to fox/cbs/comcast or simply broadcast the games themselves. Imagine ESPN with half their CFB game inventory gone... What are they going to replace it with? more sports talking heads 'debating'? The Ochocinco's?

Playing hardball like ESPN tried before the Big Ten created the BTN led them to this point. Now that the rest of the networks have figured out the value of live sporting events in the DVR era, they won't be trying that again.

1. Thanks for the clarification.

2. I also agree that the Conference expansion bug may be waning, but if Texas and ND are available, Delaney takes them. There could also be another reason for rumor. link

If you scroll down to post #417 this explanation seems reasonable. From what I remember Delaney is against a playoff and a league with 4 super conferences puts that reality much closer to being.

Texas is a big state and even in the dfw have a lot of sooner fans. Also when A&M goes to the SEC who would want to play in the Big Ten when the SEC is a much superior conference? If anything it hurts Texass even more. Either go play in a conference that doesn't make any sense or play in a much local conference against the best talent. The SEC is gonna be all over Texas getting the best recruits. Texass would stick out like a sore thumb in the Big Ten. The Pac makes more sense if paired with OU, OSU, and TT.

The SEC is gonna be all over Texas getting the best recruits.

I think if that were the case, they would be getting the best from Texas already. I don't think Texas recruiting will take a hit just because A&M is going SEC. Why play at a mid/upper tier SEC team when a kid can go to Texas (B1G, PACxx, BigACC) and compete for conference championships/national titles? If anything, Texas A&M and Oklahoma's (If UT and OK part ways) recruiting may take a hit because they no longer play against Texas, no more Red River Rivalry or Lonestar Showdown.

I keep thinking I wouldn't mind them joining, but then realize, they're always going to want to do things their own way, despite the fact they'll sign on the dotted line to the contrary. They're like snake-oil salesmen, and I would never ever EVER trust them. If they are permitted to join the B1G, I would put everyone on notice right now that they need to be FIRM for what is best and right for the conference, and not be blinded by $$$.

Conference officials believe that significant potential synergies exist between the Longhorn Network and the Big Ten Network. The officials expressed the belief that all of the expanded conference's stakeholders can achieve this potential with greatly reduced third party network involvement. Each network would gain significant opportunities to independently grow and expand together, under the control of the Big Ten Conference and its expanded institutional membership (and specifically NOT through control delegated to third party television networks). The super network that would result from this affiliation could dictate the terms of viewership in a way that ultimately benefits the mission of the expanded conference and its schools, along with their supporters. The Big Ten will remain open to any arrangement, including the formation of regionalized "Big Ten Networks," that ultimately achieve this goal.

So, in short, ESPN is either kicked to the curb or neutered to a minority share holder in the channel (not unlike how Fox is a minority holder in the BTN), and the LHN becomes BTN2.

Dunno if ESPN is going to go for that--they put a lot of money and effort into that channel to start it up. Getting ESPN to give it up to Fox may cost the Big 10 a lot...assuming that ESPN's ego won't let them become a minority shareholder in the network. And now the BTN has not one, but two channels they are expanding with nationally--it was like pulling teeth to get the BTN on Lincoln and Omaha carriers--image trying to get a second BTN channel set up locally all through the Big 10 footprint.

Plus, remember all of the hand-wringing that took place about our baseball program going to the Big 10? Multiply that by x100 with Texas.

This may have legs, but Texas will really have to prostate themselves before the Big 10. Texas is *finally* aware of the negative image they've given themselves, and while I'm sure Delaney wouldn't have a problem admitting them, the shenanigans Texas made means there will need to be certain assurances.

Plus, I'm sure Dr. Tom will make sure that Delaney pushes for certain stipulations to avoid the problems experienced in the Big XII. Namely, that the offices of the Big 10 stay in Chicago, the title game either rotates between the JerryDome and Indy or stays in Indy...

Texass football is in serious decline, they need to cash in before they go completely belly up. This would open up Texass recruiting to the entire B1G, especially Nebraska since we already have that pipeline in place. plus the backs of all the other texas bottom feeders would be broken. This is about the only way the B1G can expand and increase revenue.

I wouldn't say that. They're still one of the most valuable college sports properties out there, their merch still sells (lots of t-shirt alums in Texas), and they sell at least 75% of their stadium (though for how much longer?)

Plus, remember that the SEC will now be raiding Texas thanks to A&M. The Big 10, IMO, is the only conference that could counter any sort of cultural shift in Texas recruiting--fighting fire with fire, if you will. I don't see the Pac-12 as being able to go in and fight off SEC culture--at least until their TV network is up and running.

Frankly, if Texas doesn't fight what A&M has done, their recruiting will ultimately suffer and they will be perennially what they have been in the past--a has been.

I don't think ESPN has a lot of say overall in the network when it comes to anyone other then Texas and Texas can basically tear up the contract in the event of realignment from my understanding. Sure you probably don't want to piss ESPN off totally, but really aside from suing to recoup sunk costs related to network startup and throwing the spin machine into reverse to bash Texas rather then try and promote them there really isn't a whole lot they can do.

I also don't think they are going to try and punish the big ten. These regional conference networks are direct competitors. If they push these conferences are going to take the inventory that pays the ESPN bills in the fall and sell to fox/cbs/comcast or simply broadcast the games themselves. Imagine ESPN with half their CFB game inventory gone... What are they going to replace it with? more sports talking heads 'debating'? The Ochocinco's?

Playing hardball like ESPN tried before the Big Ten created the BTN led them to this point. Now that the rest of the networks have figured out the value of live sporting events in the DVR era, they won't be trying that again.

I've been reading people saying this and it puzzles me.

http://themidnightyell.blogspot.com/2011/08/documents-reveal-intention-behind.html

If you read it says:

Spadilly5.jpg

I'd think that clearly means Texas would still be under contract if they switch conferences.

Lot of interesting dynamics to this...

I've been following conference realignment on two fronts. The first is the obvious of the major athletic conferences that cover all or most sports for schools. In that fashion, it's interesting to hear this story because of the dynamics it presents. I don't want Texa$ in our conference ever again, but if they were going to come in, I couldn't think of a better leader to watch over their entry and keep them in line than Delaney. Figures that Texas would weasel their way into making the plug with Notre Dame, which has been the plum B1G officials have wanted to pick for some time. I can't stand either school, but I can certainly see the marketing attraction from that point.

The other conference realignment I've been watching is for college hockey. I follow UNO's team when in season, and love to watch college hockey. College hockey conference alignment has been separate from other athletic alignment basically since it's inception. But that changed over the last year with the announcement that the B1G would form a six-team hockey conference under their banner when Penn State boosts their club team to NCAA Division I. With that came an announcement over the last six months that a different six schools would form a new power hockey school conference as well. One of the pieces yet to drop in that alignment has been where Notre Dame's hockey team would go. With this information, it appears that may have been why Notre Dame hasn't made an announcement yet. A few schools that had been waiting on that announcement really aren't any more. So probably behind the scenes, some notification was given of what might happen.

Again, interesting stuff. I'd say no to Texas, but then, it won't surprise me if it comes to fruition. I just hope Delaney and the rest know what they're in for.