*** Offiical Huskerboard Fantasy Football Thread ***

Wes Welker bailed me out this week. I had a crummy draft in a league I forgot I was in and ended up loading a bunch of players into Autodraft and hoping for the best. Ended up with some WRs I've never heard of aside from Welker, two PK, three or four QB, one of whom is Aaron Rodgers, and Benjarvis Green Ellis or whatever his name is. I don't even know who my other RB is. I got the Chefs as my defense, and they got lit up, but because Welker had a fantastic game, I ended up winning.

This is exactly why I don't play - intentionally - fantasy football anymore. Way too erratic. With a draft like that I should have gotten trounced.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantasy football sucks. I played for years and vowed never again a few years back. It took me a while to quit all of my leagues, though - I kept getting pulled back in.

I was the Commish of my main league back in the day. Had Tomlinson from his rookie year through the rest of the decade, had the best WR corps in my league, had a top defense every year, and always scored a ton of points. I had a three-year stretch where I set the season scoring record in my league in back-to-back-to-back years, and only made the playoffs once in those three years. And this was in a league that has been in existence since the late 80s, when the former Commish used to compile the stats from the box scores on a spreadsheet on Tuesdays and let us know who won that way.

So anyway, after years of frustration and losses due to stupid crazy flukes, I gave up. But I forgot about one league, this ESPN free league I'm in, and I didn't bail on it early enough this year to let them find someone, so I figured I'd do it one more year.

I completely half-assed the draft. I was 8th out of 12 teams, and I didn't do a lick of research prior to the draft. I used ESPN's rankings and I put a bunch of guys on my queue and let the computer autodraft for me.

I'm currently 4-1 and I'm the top-scoring team in my league. I drafted a QB and a WR in my first two picks, ended up with three QBs (Rogers, Stafford and Sanchez), three place-kickers(one of whom is Henery), two defenses and two TEs.

That's why fantasy football sucks. It is so completely, totally random that it's nearly impossible to win consistently. When a guy can completely punt the draft like I did and still win, that's a problem. In that league where I set all the scoring records, one of the years I had (again) a top-scoring team a buddy just quit on his team in mid-October. He didn't change his lineup from about the middle of October until the season ended.

He won the championship. And he had a mediocre team, too. He just lucked out that his opponents had bad games, and he kept winning. What fun is that?