Taylor Martinez throwing motion

carlfense

Your right Napp, because all I want to do is talk more about interceptions.

Interceptions are a product of decision-making more than mechanics.

But mechanics can do make a big difference, thats why the NFL tries to work over many young QBs. Why not attempt to make them better.

And as to Husker QB's with good mechanics, remember Vince Feraggamo and David Humm, they both threw it beautifully.

How about Turner Gill or Gerry Gdowski or that Brooke Berrigner dude. Actually Gerry was probably one of the best passers we had.

Yeah I remember bashing Gerry's passing up through his junior year because he didn't have a very strong arm. Then he went on to have a fantastic year throwing and passing his last year. That's a lesson I won't forget.

Who's your guy to replace Martinez?

This year? Nobody he's our guy for better or worse. Going forward I would like to see Bo pound the JUCO's for a guy that can bridge between now and getting Armstrong or Fuller ready.

That makes sense. Move a Heisman candidate from QB to WR (or wherever) in favor of an incoming Freshman or Player X from JUCO. I can totally see Bo doing that.

• Fire 1
I think Martinez is a tremendous athlete with loads of potential, just not at QB. Nobody is rooting for the young man as hard as I am, but I gotta call 'em like I see 'em, and I think we can do better at the QB position.

Who's your guy to replace Martinez?

This year? Nobody he's our guy for better or worse. Going forward I would like to see Bo pound the JUCO's for a guy that can bridge between now and getting Armstrong or Fuller ready.

Really? you really want a juco 1st year in the program playing over Martinez? Who's to say they'd even win that job... You're not going to find Cam Newton's second coming and even if you did they wouldn't be getting their price met here.

That's just silly. Not only is Martinez's throwing motion overblown (its not the NFL), but they guy does a lot of things great... Like running, ball fakes, decision making has taken a large jump since last year, he's spreading it around more and he does complete passes even with the awkward motion. It would also undermine the entire culture they are building on offense.

It won't happen anyways, it's probably time to get used to the idea of Martinez under center for a few more years. He's pretty good already and he's got a couple more years to grow.

Exactly, Herc. I just heard Gerry DiNardo from BTN on the radio saying he doesn't think anyone can win a championship, Big Ten or National, throwing like Martinez throws now. Apparently Martinez' percentage is about 48% right now. People forget that Frazier won two titles and was a career 49% passer.

The difference being that Frazier only had to throw the ball 5-10 times a game a lot of times. Martinez is required to throw 15-30 times. Martinez is no where near the runner that Frazier was either. Martinez can explode in the open field, but Frazier could slice apart defenses and run through traffic.

It's about 10,000 times easier to "slice apart" defenses when you have one of the best Olines in the history of cfb. LP was arguably the best rb we've ever had too. TO the best OC we've ever had.......ah, never mind.

After reading through everything that was said, I know I underestimate him, but come on guys. Heisman Candidate? lol put down the kool-aid.

Healthy T-Mart stats (last year through Missouri and the three games this year):

Passing-- 91 of 184 for 1551 yards. 12 tds and 7 ints. 49.4 comp. pct.

Rushing: 160 Att. for 1270 yards. 8.0 yards a carry for 18 td's.

An overall record of 10-1. In eleven games he has 2821 yards and 30 touchdowns.

I wonder what numbers you require for him to be a "real" qb? Even with all the BK & NP drops and a marginal at best Oline those numbers look pretty good to me.

GBR!!

At the end of the first half against Washington, Taylor was throwing very well. The offense went into a high gear and I think he looked more comfortable at that pace. I think that's what Beck was talking about during Spring and Fall camps when he said Taylor was looking more comfortable throwing the ball.

Since when have we taken award watch lists seriously though? This is not a bash on Taylor but those are some of the most ridiculous, meaningless fluff pieces put together for one of the most overrated awards in sports. It should not be used as justification of any player's skill, as any statistically productive quarterback, running back, or receiver from high ranked team is liable to be on one watch list or another.

yeah but nor should a message board post criticizing a college quarterbacks throwing motion be taken seriously. What counts is wins, and in some cases teary eyed speeches forecasting wins. If you've already one a Heisman before.

Taylor is a weapon when healthy, how far he goes toward the hypesman is really up to him. Winning is all it really takes. Garenteed if he runs a touchdown or two and Nebraska beats Wisconsin, he'll be plastered all over as a Heisman candidate. Follows it up with Ohio State and Michigan and we're in full blown Heisman finalist territory. Don't discount the media attention this conference gets. How do you think Eddie George hoisted that statue in 1995?