Taylor Martinez throwing motion

carlfense

Your right Napp, because all I want to do is talk more about interceptions.

Interceptions are a product of decision-making more than mechanics.

But mechanics can do make a big difference, thats why the NFL tries to work over many young QBs. Why not attempt to make them better.

And as to Husker QB's with good mechanics, remember Vince Feraggamo and David Humm, they both threw it beautifully.

How about Turner Gill or Gerry Gdowski or that Brooke Berrigner dude. Actually Gerry was probably one of the best passers we had.

I've been on of Martinez's biggest defenders, but honestly, he is not a QB. He shotputs the football when he throws it. He is the guy for this year because we don't have anyone else. Brion and Kellogg are not ready or any better. If Starling had chosen to stay, we would have a full blown controversy on our hands.

If I were Bo, I would go to the JUCO ranks for the next 1-3 years until they can get Armstrong or another incoming freshmen ready. We need to bring in a dedicated QB coach as well.

Really? He seems to be doing quite well if you ask me. He is improving on ball security, decision making and his passing accuracy. There is still much work to be done of course. I don't think Frazier, Frost or Crouch were as good as Martinez at this point, but still people complain about him. Please go back and watch some video of Frazier during his Fresh and Soph years...did you forget all of those low passes into the ground? How was Frazier's long passing game? Martinez will be mentioned as one of Nebraska's great QB's when all is said and done.

• Fire 3
He seems to be doing quite well if you ask me. He is improving on ball security, decision making and his passing accuracy. There is still much work to be done of course. I don't think Frazier, Frost or Crouch were as good as Martinez at this point, but still people complain about him. Please go back and watch some video of Frazier during his Fresh and Soph years...did you forget all of those low passes into the ground? How was Frazier's long passing game? Martinez will be mentioned as one of Nebraska's great QB's when all is said and done.

This cannot be repeated enough. Marty is still a sophomore, and while we all want him to be the best he's going to be today, he's just not. Some guys are GREAT as freshmen or sophomores. Our guy isn't, but he's really pretty good. And if he continues to improve at all, he'll be fantastic in the next two years.

Patience is definitely in order.

• Fire 1

I've been on of Martinez's biggest defenders, but honestly, he is not a QB. He shotputs the football when he throws it. He is the guy for this year because we don't have anyone else. Brion and Kellogg are not ready or any better. If Starling had chosen to stay, we would have a full blown controversy on our hands.

If I were Bo, I would go to the JUCO ranks for the next 1-3 years until they can get Armstrong or another incoming freshmen ready. We need to bring in a dedicated QB coach as well.

Really? He seems to be doing quite well if you ask me. He is improving on ball security, decision making and his passing accuracy. There is still much work to be done of course. I don't think Frazier, Frost or Crouch were as good as Martinez at this point, but still people complain about him. Please go back and watch some video of Frazier during his Fresh and Soph years...did you forget all of those low passes into the ground? How was Frazier's long passing game? Martinez will be mentioned as one of Nebraska's great QB's when all is said and done.

I'm not trying to bash Martinez, I'll cheer for the guy as much as anyone, but I agree with Blackshirt, he isn't really a QB. He's doing the best with what he has, but his real talent is his raw speed. You guys keep bringing up Frazier and Frost etc., but we need to remember what we're trying to do with our offense. Martinez would have been amazing in TO's offense. Great shot at winning a Heisman. Hell, he may still. But Beck quite clearly wants to run a spread option attack. That requires passing. Not a ton, but you've got to be able to stretch the field accurately and hit your men in open space in stride. Look at the guys we're recruiting at QB: Tommy Armstrong has a cannon for an arm, with good mechanics and pocket presence. He'll need to work on his accuracy, but he's starting from a much better base than Martinez did. Devin Fuller, an astounding runner in his own right, can throw a much better deep ball than Martinez.

Between Carnes, Armstrong, and (hopefully) Fuller, I don't see Martinez finishing his Nebraska career at QB. And you know what? That'd be best for both parties. Martinez will never be a pro QB. Anyone can admit that. His mechanics need a lot of work, and he's in that height range that the NFL hates (conveniently ignoring that Brees is probably 5'11"). But if he learns the position in college, he could make a roster at WR.

• Fire 1

Weren't alive, or were quite young when they played. I barely remember Ferragamo, and I was eight when he was here. There's a lot to be said for being there in the moment and experiencing what Scott Frost as a quarterback actually was, or what Tommie Frazier actually was.

Yeah... I get the feeling sometimes that people have seen the highlights of Tommie Frazier and Scott Frost, but those people didn't have the whole experience. Those guys were not Pro QBs either, by any stretch of the imagination. At least 2 or 3 times a game, even as a senior, Frazier would throw a ball straight to an opposing DB, or straight into triple coverage. He still managed to be the only player ever to be MVP in three consecutive national championship games, despite making the same kind of mistakes that everyone rides Martinez for.

I don't think Frazier, Frost or Crouch were as good as Martinez at this point, but still people complain about him. Please go back and watch some video of Frazier during his Fresh and Soph years...did you forget all of those low passes into the ground? How was Frazier's long passing game?

Yes, in fact you can watch a lot of Frazier's freshman year on YouTube. He was always a pretty damn good COLLEGE quarterback. Which is exactly what Martinez is expected to be eventually. Sometimes he annoys the hell out of me with his forced throws and poor pocket presence, but he also brings some elements to the game that a defense has to plan for. He doesn't need to be polished, just smart and effective. I think he'll get there.

Exactly, Herc. I just heard Gerry DiNardo from BTN on the radio saying he doesn't think anyone can win a championship, Big Ten or National, throwing like Martinez throws now. Apparently Martinez' percentage is about 48% right now. People forget that Frazier won two titles and was a career 49% passer.

The difference being that Frazier only had to throw the ball 5-10 times a game a lot of times. Martinez is required to throw 15-30 times. Martinez is no where near the runner that Frazier was either. Martinez can explode in the open field, but Frazier could slice apart defenses and run through traffic.

I would take 100 Frazier passes thrown low into the ground before one of Martinez's up for grabs rainbows. There was a reason Frazier threw low, so only one man could get it. Now with that said, lets (including me) stop comparing Martinez to Frazier, Frost, and Crouch. It's a totally different game today. I think Martinez is a tremendous athlete with loads of potential, just not at QB. Nobody is rooting for the young man as hard as I am, but I gotta call 'em like I see 'em, and I think we can do better at the QB position.

I think Martinez is a tremendous athlete with loads of potential, just not at QB. Nobody is rooting for the young man as hard as I am, but I gotta call 'em like I see 'em, and I think we can do better at the QB position.

Who's your guy to replace Martinez?

This year? Nobody he's our guy for better or worse. Going forward I would like to see Bo pound the JUCO's for a guy that can bridge between now and getting Armstrong or Fuller ready.