Taylor Martinez throwing motion

carlfense

I don't really get people, I guess. Here you have a QB for 4 years (when is the last time we have had that?). Here you have a QB who accounts for quite a few yards on the ground and through the air. He has made some really good decisions this year and during our hurry up offense he looks in complete control. And people are STILL complaining? Martinez does throw it like a shot put...he will never be a great passer, but so what? He is effective and teams have to account for his running which puts them in bad coverages, plus we now have an offensive coordinator that plays to Taylor's strengths and just doesn't call random plays. It is IMPOSSIBLE to make some people happy and I just don't get that. I am even tough on Taylor as a QB, but even I can see that Martinez has grown so much into the QB role that I am no longer calling him an athlete playing QB...he is now a QB that is a heck of an athlete. If we go undefeated and win a NC with Taylor, I promise you all that we will be hearing nothing but praise for him from these same people that are bashing him.

I think a lot of people are misconstruing what a lot of other people are saying. Just because some (I'm one of them) have some critical things to say about certain aspects of his game doesn't automatcally mean we don't like him or want him replaced (I realize some probably do, but they are in the minority). You can note weaknesses in a player without it being bashing.

Is he our best QB, almost certainly, does he do some incredible things on the field...absolutely. But he does have some issues that DO need to be addresed to make him better? Yes. Anyone who thinks that is not true has their head stuck in the sand. I think he has a weak throwing motion and at some point that will manifest itself on the field, but I'm yelling as loud as anyone else when he breaks another long one.

An intersting analgy is a golf forum when Tiger Woods is discussed. If you say anything negative about him, you are automatically labeled a "hater" by his fans, and I see a lot of that here. I see a strong possibility of him being a four year QB and putting up astounding career numbers, but I also think those numbers can become truely mind blowing if he can improve in certain areas.

For what it's worth, I would imagine we would have had the same discussions about Tommy and Frost if the internet had been available then.

• Fire 1

I think a lot of people are misconstruing what a lot of other people are saying. Just because some (I'm one of them) have some critical things to say about certain aspects of his game doesn't automatcally mean we don't like him or want him replaced (I realize some probably do, but they are in the minority). You can note weaknesses in a player without it being bashing.

Is he our best QB, almost certainly, does he do some incredible things on the field...absolutely. But he does have some issues that DO need to be addresed to make him better? Yes. Anyone who thinks that is not true has their head stuck in the sand. I think he has a weak throwing motion and at some point that will manifest itself on the field, but I'm yelling as loud as anyone else when he breaks another long one.

An intersting analgy is a golf forum when Tiger Woods is discussed. If you say anything negative about him, you are automatically labeled a "hater" by his fans, and I see a lot of that here. I see a strong possibility of him being a four year QB and putting up astounding career numbers, but I also think those numbers can become truely mind blowing if he can improve in certain areas.

For what it's worth, I would imagine we would have had the same discussions about Tommy and Frost if the internet had been available then.

I don't think anyone's posts are being misconstrued. There are two kinds of posts about him on this topic. The ones pointing out his weaknesses in a semi-polite way, and the ones saying that Beck has a plan to replace him as the QB and that it's only a matter of time before that happens. The people getting annoyed are annoyed by the latter, not the former.

• Fire 1

I think a lot of people are misconstruing what a lot of other people are saying. Just because some (I'm one of them) have some critical things to say about certain aspects of his game doesn't automatcally mean we don't like him or want him replaced (I realize some probably do, but they are in the minority).

It's definately the minority, but it's much, much more plevalent than:

...he does have some issues that DO need to be addresed to make him better? Yes. Anyone who thinks that is not true has their head stuck in the sand.

Who has suggested that?

So I agree, things are being misconstrued.

• Fire 1

I think a lot of people are misconstruing what a lot of other people are saying. Just because some (I'm one of them) have some critical things to say about certain aspects of his game doesn't automatcally mean we don't like him or want him replaced (I realize some probably do, but they are in the minority).

It's definately the minority, but it's much, much more plevalent than:

...he does have some issues that DO need to be addresed to make him better? Yes. Anyone who thinks that is not true has their head stuck in the sand.

Who has suggested that?

So I agree, things are being misconstrued.

Exactly.

Well said, Dude. Absolutely "nobody" has said he has no need to improve. "Nobody". Heck, show me "any" qb in cfb that doesn't need to improve. There is no such animal.

But the haters keep setting up the same old strawman.....over & over.....

I think the positions of those pointing out Martinez' flaws and those of us pointing out his positives are getting polarized beyond actual intent in this conversation. Those of us in the "pro" Martinez camp don't think he's flawless, nor do we really think he's a viable Heisman candidate, nor do we think he doesn't need to improve. Those in the "con" camp don't think he's utterly without hope, or that he really, truly needs to be benched.

Everyone sees the same game. The filters we use may be a little different, but even the "supporters" cringe when Taylor drills the opponent's LB in the chest with a pass, and even the "haters" stand up and holler when he bursts through the line and finds open field.

No matter which side of the aisle you fall on, you know he needs to improve. You know he has strong qualities in his favor. You know he will never be a great passer, you know he has potential to be an all-time great runner. You know he's not a traditional QB and no amount of work will get him remotely close.

Where we differ is in how we phrase what we all know, and whether we appear to be looking at the glass half-full or half-empty. The longer this conversation has gone on, the more polarized it's gotten as people strive to make their points, until at one point last year we had downright bickering over minutiae that really didn't get us anywhere. I've tried to step back from that bickering after making a conscious effort to recognize that people are really seeing and saying the same things.

Hey, finally got my password to work here at work so I can post again.

Dude and Bshirt, I'm sorry, I should have written that the feeling (I get) from some posters is that he is virtually infallable and going to be a front runner for the heisman (which he might end up being). Obvioulsy no one has come out and written that he has nothing to work on, but many, many posts gloss over what needs to done in favor of the numbers he puts up.

My main point, which maybe I didn't get across very well was that you cannot criticize him on this board without someone really taking you to task about it.

I think I've voiced my opinion on him enough, and it obviously is not in agreement with some. I'll go with Knapplc's previous post in that we really all are rooting for the same guy and the same team and leave it at that.

Dude and Bshirt, I'm sorry, I should have written that the feeling (I get) from some posters is that he is virtually infallable and going to be a front runner for the heisman (which he might end up being). Obvioulsy no one has come out and written that he has nothing to work on, but many, many posts gloss over what needs to done in favor of the numbers he puts up.

My main point, which maybe I didn't get across very well was that you cannot criticize him on this board without someone really taking you to task about it.

I think I've voiced my opinion on him enough, and it obviously is not in agreement with some. I'll go with Knapplc's previous post in that we really all are rooting for the same guy and the same team and leave it at that.

Fair enough my friend! Damn straight we're on the same team. Knapplc's point is a good one.

GBR!!

Agreed, Blackshirt!

That's just silly. Not only is Martinez's throwing motion overblown (its not the NFL), but they guy does a lot of things great... Like running, ball fakes, decision making has taken a large jump since last year, he's spreading it around more and he does complete passes even with the awkward motion. It would also undermine the entire culture they are building on offense.

I do want to reiterate a few points though. Taylor's passing mechanics are not that overblown. It's not the NFL but he isn't your typical college QB with kinda quirky throwing either. I think that evens it out a bit. Also, the connotation to "spreading it around" is that he is not locking onto his favorite target and throwing it to the guy who is open. That isn't the case, because Taylor seems to always lock on to his primary read, and failing that, either makes a poor decision via the air or takes of running. He isn't going to secondaries or even checkdowns I think.

Apology accepted.

I don't get it. husker fans should talk about Martinez like a CBS announcer talks about Tebow. I wonder if the internet were around back in the day, would we have had one of these about Frazier?

The internet WAS AROUND in 1995!!! Some of you are too young to know that. Funny...

Meh. That's like talking about today's LA traffic and comparing it to 100 years ago. Sure, there were cars back then, but it is not analogous.

After reading through everything that was said, I know I underestimate him, but come on guys. Heisman Candidate? lol put down the kool-aid.

This.

This? Reading comprehension not a strong suit?

I understand that he was on a few heismen watch lists, but let's be honest, Taylor is LONG shot. There's no debating that he can hit the home run, but he has yet to prove that he can consistently make good decisions. Personally, I do not consider him to be a heismen candidate, based solely on his ability to throw the ball consistently and his knack for spilling the ball on the turf.

After reading through everything that was said, I know I underestimate him, but come on guys. Heisman Candidate? lol put down the kool-aid.

This.

This? Reading comprehension not a strong suit?

I understand that he was on a few heismen watch lists, but let's be honest, Taylor is LONG shot. There's no debating that he can hit the home run, but he has yet to prove that he can consistently make good decisions. Personally, I do not consider him to be a heismen candidate, based solely on his ability to throw the ball consistently and his knack for spilling the ball on the turf.

Completely agree that he's a long shot. I wouldn't even consider him this year, based on his first three games. He is making WAY too many errors, and etc. etc. etc.

That said, he's on some lists, so somebody somewhere thinks he's worthy, meaning saying he's a Heisman candidate is not outrageous. And in the context of the conversation, which was that we should bench Martinez or put him in another position in favor of a JUCO or some Freshman phenom, if Martinez is on Heisman watch lists this year and he improves on what he did last year, it's not unreasonable to think he'd be on the same lists next year and the year after. That's all I was saying, and it seems pretty reasonable to me, no matter how far-fetched those lists are.