The Field Goal

zoogs

I think that the posts are short, so the POV of the camera in the center of the goalposts made the perspective screwy. You can probably easily imagine a straight line going from the center of the posts upward and to the left such that it would look like it was inside in a 2d projection. . We're just used to seeing much longer posts that FGs don't clear by a mile. I'm sure that the refs didn't blow the call, it just looked really whacky. |_/_| Imagine that's the goalpost and the virgule is the line of sight (stretched to infinity). You could easily have a clear view of the ball not being obscured by the goalposts but still outside of them . I'm pretty sure that's what happened. What we needed was a blimp view... I just have a hard time thinking that the call was totally blown (in other words, I don't trust my lyin' eyes :) )

I honestly thought at first that it was no good. The ball just had such a push that usually those scenarios are no good. I told my wife before the officials signaled it was no good an she said it was good. Then they showed the replay and it was obvious it was good and I threw a fit. I do know that officials look up the outside of the posts and if they see any of the ball as doing so it's no good, but man, from the camera view below the middle of the goalpost it looked pretty obvious. I also read somewhere thats kicks above the uprights are not reviewable.

They have shorter uprights in War Memorial than we have at Memorial Stadium, unless my eyes were batty.

I read some commentary that the whole ball has to be inside the upright, and the ref determined that part of the ball wasn't inside. It was terribly, terribly close. There was no perfect camera angle that showed it was in. Hard to say the ref was wrong, when he had the best angle.

• Fire 1