Most Overrated / Most Underrated

People who think crick is Overrated make me lol...

2-gap anyone?

What is this '2-gap' you speak of? Clearly you know more than anyone here.

I don't expect Crick and Steinkuhler to be racking up sacks. What I do expect is for them to hold their ground in the run game. Instead, particularly against Fresno St., I could tell from the minute the ball was handed off that the play was going to go for 10+ right up the middle because the middle of our DLine was moved off the ball.

If we can agree that Nebraska has been fairly inept against the run AND if we can agree that LaVonte David is a pretty good player, then we'd also have to agree that some of that responsibility falls on the interior DLineman. We can't blame Fisher for everything.

I think it's the other way around. We need the DL to step up to see the secondary do better. Not that the secondary hasn't had its share of struggles, but the DL has just been underwhelming. I think our DL will get better though, they have the ability - just not the fire under their asses.

It definatly goes both ways. I'm consistantly seeing our linemen in the backfield. QB's have just been able to move around a little and make a play because WRs are running wide open. Watch that huge hit Crick had on Price. That's a perfect example of what's going to happen when there's decent coverage down field. Crick sliced through the double team like a hot knife through butter, Price stepped up in the pocket to avoid the rush but had nowhere to go with the ball. Crick would have broken a lesser man on that play.

I guess defensive ends being a non-factor is a trademark of Pelini defenses?? It's been a long time since a defensive end has made any noise around here.

Underrated: Rex Burkhead. Did anyone expect him to bust out runs like he was Helu the 3rd? Underrated: Our receivers. They're making plays that weren't being completed a year ago at this time. Underrated: Our offensive line. They're finally realizing their potential, and they're *damn* young to boot. Underrated: Our special teams. Wisky has a kicker that's gone OoB three times this year on kickoffs, and they aren't the best at the return game. Overrated: Our secondary. Again, don't know if it's the youth, that Marvin Sanders was *that* good, or a mixture thereof, but we're getting burned by Wyoming out there, despite Fonz locking down his side of the field. Unknown: Our D-Line. Think they're a victim of a lack of quality secondary play and vanilla playcalling. We'll see this week for sure. Overblown: Nebraska fan's abhorrence to wearing black at Camp Randall. Really, folks? VA Husker Fan--Fixed name

This has got me concerned. Pelini has come out saying that the DBs are playing soft. He wants them to be aggressive, 'get their hands on receivers'. It seems I remember in Fall camp hearing Corey Raymond talk about how the technique has got to change. That you've got to keep your hands off the receivers or you'll get flagged. I remember thinking 'oh great. Out of all the things we need to address, the last thing on the list should be how our DBs cover.' We came out of a pass happy conference and pretty much changed the way that teams scheme against the spread. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, and I know that we also replaced 3 really good secondary guys this year, but I just couldn't help but think it as I watched Cooper try and dance with receivers all day against Wyoming instead of getting in their grill and taking away their position.

2-gap anyone?

Part of the "overrated feeling" has to do with all the preseason hype. I don't think Crick is terrible or even close to being bad, just overrated. Wasn't there a recent poll that had Crick as the #1 player to have an impact in the Big 10? He's been made out to be the next Suh, which will not happen, not a slight to Crick either. I understand the 2 gap responsibility, but if that was happening perfectly, the LB's would be making every tackle, which they are not. Does that make David overrated at LB since teams have had success rushing? I definately don't think so, but I guess I was fooled by all the hype.

Overrated: the "Black Jersey?" thread

Underrated: "The Clever Quips About Shawn Watson Thread"

Where is the clever quips thread?

It's in the Shed.

Damn it....I've refused to get a password for that because I have a hard enough time reading crap in this forum. As it is I only make it to other sports like once every 2 months.

Overrated: the "Black Jersey?" thread

Underrated: "The Clever Quips About Shawn Watson Thread"

Where is the clever quips thread?

It's in the Shed.

Damn it....I've refused to get a password for that because I have a hard enough time reading crap in this forum. As it is I only make it to other sports like once every 2 months.

What exactly are these "other sports" you speak of? :huh:

2-gap anyone?

What is this '2-gap' you speak of? Clearly you know more than anyone here.

I don't expect Crick and Steinkuhler to be racking up sacks. What I do expect is for them to hold their ground in the run game. Instead, particularly against Fresno St., I could tell from the minute the ball was handed off that the play was going to go for 10+ right up the middle because the middle of our DLine was moved off the ball.

If we can agree that Nebraska has been fairly inept against the run AND if we can agree that LaVonte David is a pretty good player, then we'd also have to agree that some of that responsibility falls on the interior DLineman. We can't blame Fisher for everything.

See my above post. But, clearly you know more than Bo and Carl, so I guess there's no need to. They' haven't been amazing that's for sure, but they're far from terrible. I also expect us to actually play on the ball this week, not 1 yard back like we have been.

2-gap anyone?

Part of the "overrated feeling" has to do with all the preseason hype. I don't think Crick is terrible or even close to being bad, just overrated. Wasn't there a recent poll that had Crick as the #1 player to have an impact in the Big 10? He's been made out to be the next Suh, which will not happen, not a slight to Crick either. I understand the 2 gap responsibility, but if that was happening perfectly, the LB's would be making every tackle, which they are not. Does that make David overrated at LB since teams have had success rushing? I definately don't think so, but I guess I was fooled by all the hype.

Is Crick overrated in the sense that he's not Suh 2.0? Sure, I guess. But that's the fault of fans, not Crick. Crick is a very good DT. But to call him overrated because some people proclaimed he was going to be better than the best defensive player to wear a blackshirt is beyond dumb.

Underrated: Rex Burkhead. Did anyone expect him to bust out runs like he was Helu the 3rd?

Underrated: Our receivers. They're making plays that weren't being completed a year ago at this time.

Underrated: Our offensive line. They're finally realizing their potential, and they're *damn* young to boot.

Underrated: Our special teams. Wisky has a kicker that's gone OoB three times this year on kickoffs, and they aren't the best at the return game.

Overrated: Our secondary. Again, don't know if it's the youth, that Marvin Sanders was *that* good, or a mixture thereof, but we're getting burned by Wyoming out there, despite Fonz locking down his side of the field.

Unknown: Our D-Line. Think they're a victim of a lack of quality secondary play and vanilla playcalling. We'll see this week for sure.

Overblown: Nebraska fan's abhorrence to wearing black at Camp Randall. Really, folks?

VA Husker Fan--Fixed name

Not sure about the o line yet. They looked pretty good early in the year last year too, yet fell apart as the season went on.

As for the d line, I dont think that we ve been as vanilla as some want to think we have. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

People who think crick is Overrated make me lol... 2-gap anyone?
What is this '2-gap' you speak of? Clearly you know more than anyone here. I don't expect Crick and Steinkuhler to be racking up sacks. What I do expect is for them to hold their ground in the run game. Instead, particularly against Fresno St., I could tell from the minute the ball was handed off that the play was going to go for 10+ right up the middle because the middle of our DLine was moved off the ball. If we can agree that Nebraska has been fairly inept against the run AND if we can agree that LaVonte David is a pretty good player, then we'd also have to agree that some of that responsibility falls on the interior DLineman. We can't blame Fisher for everything.
See my above post. But, clearly you know more than Bo and Carl, so I guess there's no need to. They' haven't been amazing that's for sure, but they're far from terrible. I also expect us to actually play on the ball this week, not 1 yard back like we have been.

This isn't a 'terrible, amazing' thread. It's an overrated, underrated. Opposing offenses have not shied away from running at his side, and they've gotten some pretty decent production out of it. I think that is reason to believe that he isn't quite meeting expectations (fair or unfair).

And no, I do not know more than the NU coaching staff about football. I guess I have no right to observe and rightly criticize what I see. Brilliant.

• Fire 1

I think there is confusion going on. Just because a player is viewed as "overrated" by some does not make that player terrible by any stretch. I guess my view of Crick is a result of what my expectations were. Such as, opponents not being able to rush through his gap, not getting pushed off the ball, being more disruptive in the passing game, etc. Perhaps a better question is, "is Crick's play what you expected thus far this season. Is it better? Is it worse?" For the record, I agree that Crick is a very good DT, i just felt he was overrated purely because of all the preseason hype that was placed on him.

Most overrated: This thread

Most underrated: The overwhelming anxiety of Husker fans.

There is nothing overrated about Jared Crick. This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. He will go on to have a long career as a pass rushing D-End out of the 3-4 defense in the NFL.

Most underrated: people's rights to individual opinions without people declaring stuff like the bold above.

For the record I agree with the above post if the bold were to be left out. (really there's been a lot of stuff on Huskerboard that would trump someone saying Crick is overrated.)

Well actually I don't know about a 3-4 defensive End either...