Most Overrated / Most Underrated

And no, I do not know more than the NU coaching staff about football. I guess I have no right to observe and rightly criticize what I see. Brilliant.

Apparently, neither do I. I observed people saying Crick was underrated, based on stats. I then criticized those the assumption made by those, based on understanding how we use a 2 gap scheme, and understanding that what the Crick/Suh combo did was abnormal. Then, the assertion was made that I was pulling it out of my ass.

And here we are.

• Fire 1

And no, I do not know more than the NU coaching staff about football. I guess I have no right to observe and rightly criticize what I see. Brilliant.

Apparently, neither do I. I observed people saying Crick was underrated, based on stats. I then criticized those the assumption made by those, based on understanding how we use a 2 gap scheme, and understanding that what the Crick/Suh combo did was abnormal. Then, the assertion was made that I was pulling it out of my ass.

And here we are.

Your completly right, and its not an opinion.. its fact. The coaches have said it over and over again, its the scheme we run. Bo decides when to let loose the D line and when not too. Its more about containment and holding up blockers so they cant get to the second level which allows our LBers to run free.

I initally thought he was being sarcastic when he said... whats a 2 gap? but apparently not.

I dont know why people dont get it, we have never had emense pressure on the QB under Pelini, we have gotten all our pressure in the past from our secondary in coverage. This year 3-5 steps and out, last couple of years 3-5 steps...covered covered covered, sack or thrown away, incomplete. The defense is designed to take away the big play, not go crazy bowl over a double team, rip the QBS facemask off (sometime when necessary) but not every play. Pelini makes them earn it 5 yards at a time, they drive 10-12 plays kick a field goal or score a touchdown, have fun doing that all game. A dropped pass or a TFL and you fall right into our defensive strategy....and your done. Seems like only a few on here have picked up on this. I guess ive read alot of articles about pelinis D strategy, but still its pretty evident if you watch the game and not look at the stats sheet. We have seen this for 4 years afterall.

once our secondary gets better in coverage the Dline will get more time to get sacks....simple as that.

Apparently, neither do I. I observed people saying Crick was underrated, based on stats. I then criticized those the assumption made by those, based on understanding how we use a 2 gap scheme, and understanding that what the Crick/Suh combo did was abnormal. Then, the assertion was made that I was pulling it out of my ass. And here we are.
Your completly right, and its not an opinion.. its fact. The coaches have said it over and over again, its the scheme we run. Bo decides when to let loose the D line and when not too. Its more about containment and holding up blockers so they cant get to the second level which allows our LBers to run free. I initally thought he was being sarcastic when he said... whats a 2 gap? but apparently not. I dont know why people dont get it, we have never had emense pressure on the QB under Pelini, we have gotten all our pressure in the past from our secondary in coverage. This year 3-5 steps and out, last couple of years 3-5 steps...covered covered covered, sack or thrown away, incomplete. The defense is designed to take away the big play, not go crazy bowl over a double team, rip the QBS facemask off (sometime when necessary) but not every play. Pelini makes them earn it 5 yards at a time, they drive 10-12 plays kick a field goal or score a touchdown, have fun doing that all game. A dropped pass or a TFL and you fall right into our defensive strategy....and your done. Seems like only a few on here have picked up on this. I guess ive read alot of articles about pelinis D strategy, but still its pretty evident if you watch the game and not look at the stats sheet. We have seen this for 4 years afterall. once our secondary gets better in coverage the Dline will get more time to get sacks....simple as that.

He was being sarcastic. Notice that he never said anything about the pass rush.

As far as I understand, 2 gap responsibility means that each D lineman is responsible for playing 2 GAPS. Which means they can't just shoot through like in a single gap D like the Tampa 2 and get in the backfield. In this scheme, however, the DTs are supposed to be responsible playing the run and hold their position. I don't feel they've done that very effectively.

So I say 'Crick has underperformed' and you say '2-Gap', and that's checkmate, I guess. Interesting.

Apparently, neither do I. I observed people saying Crick was underrated, based on stats. I then criticized those the assumption made by those, based on understanding how we use a 2 gap scheme, and understanding that what the Crick/Suh combo did was abnormal. Then, the assertion was made that I was pulling it out of my ass. And here we are.
Your completly right, and its not an opinion.. its fact. The coaches have said it over and over again, its the scheme we run. Bo decides when to let loose the D line and when not too. Its more about containment and holding up blockers so they cant get to the second level which allows our LBers to run free. I initally thought he was being sarcastic when he said... whats a 2 gap? but apparently not. I dont know why people dont get it, we have never had emense pressure on the QB under Pelini, we have gotten all our pressure in the past from our secondary in coverage. This year 3-5 steps and out, last couple of years 3-5 steps...covered covered covered, sack or thrown away, incomplete. The defense is designed to take away the big play, not go crazy bowl over a double team, rip the QBS facemask off (sometime when necessary) but not every play. Pelini makes them earn it 5 yards at a time, they drive 10-12 plays kick a field goal or score a touchdown, have fun doing that all game. A dropped pass or a TFL and you fall right into our defensive strategy....and your done. Seems like only a few on here have picked up on this. I guess ive read alot of articles about pelinis D strategy, but still its pretty evident if you watch the game and not look at the stats sheet. We have seen this for 4 years afterall. once our secondary gets better in coverage the Dline will get more time to get sacks....simple as that.

As far as I understand, 2 gap responsibility means that each D lineman is responsible for playing 2 GAPS. Which means they can't just shoot through like in a single gap D like the Tampa 2 and get in the backfield. In this scheme, however, the DTs are supposed to be responsible playing the run and hold their position. I don't feel they've done that very effectively.

So I say 'Crick has underperformed' and you say '2-Gap', and that's checkmate, I guess. Interesting.

You are right, but have you noticed all the tinkering that Bo is doing? Look at how far off the ball the DL is lining up, game by game, and even versus last year. Look at the different looks and alignments he's been putting the D in. It's not fair (or smart) to sum up someones carrer in 3 early games of the season. Crick has been damn good the last 2 years. Last year, he had comparable stats to Suh's Junior year. Calling him underrated, IMO, is incorrect. Let's see how he plays Saturday.

You are right, but have you noticed all the tinkering that Bo is doing? Look at how far off the ball the DL is lining up, game by game, and even versus last year. Look at the different looks and alignments he's been putting the D in. It's not fair (or smart) to sum up someones carrer in 3 early games of the season. Crick has been damn good the last 2 years. Last year, he had comparable stats to Suh's Junior year. Calling him overrrated, IMO, is incorrect. Let's see how he plays Saturday.

Most overrated: This thread

Most underrated: The overwhelming anxiety of Husker fans.

There is nothing overrated about Jared Crick. This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. He will go on to have a long career as a pass rushing D-End out of the 3-4 defense in the NFL.

Most underrated: people's rights to individual opinions without people declaring stuff like the bold above.

For the record I agree with the above post if the bold were to be left out. (really there's been a lot of stuff on Huskerboard that would trump someone saying Crick is overrated.)

Well actually I don't know about a 3-4 defensive End either...

You certainly have the right to your opinon. However, we Husker fans have been spoiled by the likes of SUH and Cricks production the last two seasons. Do you know how rare it is for a D-tackle to produce more than 4 or 5 sacks in a season? 5 sacks is monster production for interior D-lineman. What Suh and Crick have done the last few seasons is really unprecedented.

21 career sacks in three seasons for a D-tackle is unbelievable. There is nothing Overrated by that guy. I will agree Crick isn't great in run support. Part of that is due to him being undersized as an interior D-tackle. He will undoubtedly be moved outside in the NFL because he has an outstanding first step as a pass rusher.

He has 1 sack in 3 games so far this season. I bet you anything he still ends up with at least 8 or 9 total sacks and still finds his way as a first round pick in the April draft.

You are right, but have you noticed all the tinkering that Bo is doing? Look at how far off the ball the DL is lining up, game by game, and even versus last year. Look at the different looks and alignments he's been putting the D in. It's not fair (or smart) to sum up someones carrer in 3 early games of the season. Crick has been damn good the last 2 years. Last year, he had comparable stats to Suh's Junior year. Calling him underrated, IMO, is incorrect. Let's see how he plays Saturday.

That's fine, but once again, I'm not summing up anyone's career. I simply said he's underperformed IMO, and I made the assumption that we were speaking of what we've seen so far this year. I'm really not even saying he's overrated. I think he's a dynamic player. Big, strong, agile, fast. However, I expected to see him handle the run better as a whole, and have not seen that.

Overrated: Can't really say, since it's a function of the media more than anything. It's not like the players are writing articles pumping themselves up.

Underrated: Ben Cotton. For some reason it seems like people like to bag on this guy. Just watch him play though. He throws a lot of key blocks out there. He's a big part of our running game.

Most overrated: This thread

Most underrated: The overwhelming anxiety of Husker fans.

There is nothing overrated about Jared Crick. This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. He will go on to have a long career as a pass rushing D-End out of the 3-4 defense in the NFL.

Most underrated: people's rights to individual opinions without people declaring stuff like the bold above.

For the record I agree with the above post if the bold were to be left out. (really there's been a lot of stuff on Huskerboard that would trump someone saying Crick is overrated.)

Well actually I don't know about a 3-4 defensive End either...

You certainly have the right to your opinon. However, we Husker fans have been spoiled by the likes of SUH and Cricks production the last two seasons. Do you know how rare it is for a D-tackle to produce more than 4 or 5 sacks in a season? 5 sacks is monster production for interior D-lineman. What Suh and Crick have done the last few seasons is really unprecedented.

21 career sacks in three seasons for a D-tackle is unbelievable. There is nothing Overrated by that guy. I will agree Crick isn't great in run support. Part of that is due to him being undersized as an interior D-tackle. He will undoubtedly be moved outside in the NFL because he has an outstanding first step as a pass rusher.

He has 1 sack in 3 games so far this season. I bet you anything he still ends up with at least 8 or 9 total sacks and still finds his way as a first round pick in the April draft.

I'm confused. I was agreeing that Crick is playing just fine.