What did we learn???

I learned that Taylor Martinez wants to be a running back. Did you see how he tried to run through a LB?

I liked that. Even if he didn't play well, he played with fire all the way to the end of the game. Same with Burkhead. I thought the whole offense kept fighting, frankly, they just aren't quite ready yet.

And I really don't understand this. What are going to accomplish by maybe scoring one more TD, what if Burkhead gets hurt on that last drive? Get him out of the game, and give Carnes the snaps in that last series.

What are we going to accomplish by putting Carnes in the game? Why would we give him or any of our other backups reps when our starters obviously need all the practice they can get.

You can't worry about injuries. They might happen, they might not. There's nothing you can do about them. Right now, we just need to focus on getting better.

I learned that Taylor Martinez wants to be a running back. Did you see how he tried to run through a LB?

I liked that. Even if he didn't play well, he played with fire all the way to the end of the game. Same with Burkhead. I thought the whole offense kept fighting, frankly, they just aren't quite ready yet.

And I really don't understand this. What are going to accomplish by maybe scoring one more TD, what if Burkhead gets hurt on that last drive? Get him out of the game, and give Carnes the snaps in that last series.

What are we going to accomplish by putting Carnes in the game? Why would we give him or any of our other backups reps when our starters obviously need all the practice they can get.

You can't worry about injuries. They might happen, they might not. There's nothing you can do about them. Right now, we just need to focus on getting better.

Yes, I think you do take injuries into account. Rex doesn't need any additional practice. But if he goes down we're in even more trouble. Why have him out there then. So what did TM practice on the last series, he pitched the ball to rex until we got close to the goal line. Carnes needs any reps he can get in game time, although maybe he doesn't, they showed last year that TM won't come out of the game even when he's injured.

I guarantee if Rex would have suffered an injury on that last series, this board would be buzzing about why he was still in.

1. Taylor Martinez is not a QB, certainly not a QB that is gonna lead this team to any sort of championships. I think a good % of people already knew this, but on this board it was blasphemy to speak that opinion. I have so much more to say on this subject but will leave it be for now. Pry get crucified by you magic lovers.

2. Beck deserves a ton of blame for that 2nd quarter. After that big pass to Turner with 2ish minutes left and we go with 3 straight passes? Raise your hand if you saw a pick coming? Thought so.

3. Sean Fischer is a total liability. Remember the hype when he went down with an injury in fall camp last year? Everyone thought it was a big deal that he went down? Yeah... we lack depth at LB.

4. We absolutely don't have a #2 CB. Or a #3 CB/nickel for that matter.

5. Rex Burkhead is being wasted. If we ran the Rexcat all game, we put up at least 17 points. 6 carries in the first half? What a joke. Don't give me his stat line in the first half, 2 of his carries were for a huge 3 yards. One a big first down on 3rd and 1 where he as usual fights through contact in the backfield to get the first and his other a 1 yard TD that you can't convince me any other back on our team gets into the endzone on.

6. Martinez isn't a QB, but again anyone who watches this team that isn't blind has known that since last year.

7. Speed. Another one of those terms people on this board love to throw around. "Our offense is so fast look at our freshman and Reed!!" Why does anyone think we have any sort of significant speed advantage? Martinez in a straight line I'll give you that. No lateral movement, no shake and certainly no bake. The freshman I-backs? At best mixed results in the non-con and a no show with no opportunity in this game. Kenny Bell? "Oh he was so wide open on that play action pass that completely sucked up the safety so all he had to do was run right by him." (Bold is stuck on, its outta my control at this point) I don't get this board. Its the same board that says Zach Lee was garbage because he only lit up non-conf opponents but when our young guys make plays against the same crappy non-conf opponents there labeled as future stars. Basically, stop proclaiming anybody to be future studs until they put up meaningful performances against similar level of competition.

8. (Bold magically un-locks itself) I cannot get over the terrible decisions Martinez continues to make on a weekly basis. One read and he gets happy feet. Just imagine if Martinez would lose a meager 35% of his fumbles over his starting tenure the past year and a month. There is NO WAY any coach in America keeps him as a starting QB. The ball does not normally bounce your way the way Martinez's 30ish fumbles have the past 2 seasons. And his decisions throwing the ball are just awful. Awful. There's no way to defend it but Martinez backers go ahead and give it your best. Maybe we have nobody else, but if he's the future then were in for a crappy few years.

I learned that Martinez isn't and never will be a passing quarterback, and Beck needs to finally come to terms with this and start running plays with him that work with his strengths.

The problem is....as a QB he doen't really have any strengths. He has no pocket presence, he has a horrible delivery, he makes bad decisions when he is under presure (whether real or perceived), he can't really run the option very well, and he seems to run right into the strength of the D instead of finding running lanes....the plays that work for him are the ones where the opposing defense breaks down....Beck just needs a lot more cooperation from the opposing team.

I learned that a defense that is forced into a situation that our team was put into tonight, will eventually break, no matter how good they are.

You've also got to take TOP into consideration as well. When your offense is constantly leaving the field early, you will get tired. The defense was doing well the first few possessions, but then had to start making up for the mistakes of the offense and it just snowballed from there. Give the defense credit, they tried their hardest with what they had. Yes they made mistakes, but those are corrected with time. Give these players a few years to get situated. We'll be playing for a B1G Championship.

Taylor Martinez I would LOVE to see as a slot receiver or maybe our go to speed receiver. I think he could do it. And we don't need Peyton Manning, just a QB who makes smart decisions and can consistently get the ball to the WRs. What I wouldn't give for Zac Taylor or Joey Ganz right now. Even Cody Green I think, if he had been allowed to develop, would be a better QB then Martinez.

We learned that this game turned out exactly as it should have. We got slapped around like the redheaded step child we are. We are officially the little red of the B1G. Out coached and out played down to the last person. Wiscy is exactly what the Huskers were before the Callahan debacle. If the team doesn't get over this one quick, we may just get rolled by an inferior OSU next week. Sorry folks, we ain't back yet.

In December 2009 after blanking Arizona in the Holiday Bowl, Coach Bo announced "Nebraska is back!". Since then, we failed against Texas, A&M, and OU in the Big XII championship game, not to mention the debacle in the bowl last year. Now we are in an 'in your face' black and blue conference that plays ball the way Nebraska used to. How many times did I hear Musberger saying how Alvarez fashioned the Wisconsin program after what he experienced under Devaney? I've always considered Wisky a 'twin' program of ours, and that is more evident now that we just watched a mirror image of Husker football 10 years ago and beyond march up and down the field on us.

Sorry, Bo, we are not 'back' yet until you can put a team together that can win the big one, a big one, or any big one. And keep the Blackshirts in storage this year....

I was real excited about this game, only to be thoroughly disappointed once again on the big stage. Unfortunately, this has become Bo's calling card.

The Huskers had about a 50/50 shot to win this, and looked real good at the beginning of the game. Forcing Wisconsin to punt after calling some timely blitzes to stuff the run and also put pressure on Wilson. The offense looked great with lots of running and one or two passes mixed in.

What I don't understand is what happened to these offensive and defensive gameplans? We totally abandoned them. Beck must have watched Martinez go 5/7 passing in the early stages of the game and thought he had Peyton Manning out there. Martinez isn't the type of QB that can throw a team on his shoulders and drag them to victory. He's not a real good leader, not a good decision maker, and definitely not a good passer. If Martinez passes more than 10 (AT MOST 15) times per game, we are probably not going to win the game. He isn't a passing QB and I was under the impression we were a run-first offense. We were having alot of success running the ball, so why not stick with it? Burkhead had success in the limited carries he had and it was quite obvious we were faster than Wisconsin on the edges, yet we stopped exploiting that and instead tried to pass the ball with a below average passer. Sorry, but if that's what Beck is as a play caller, he is no better than Watson.

And it seemed like we abandoned our defensive gameplan too. We stopped blitzing and just sat back and let the offense attack us. Yeah, we have problems in the secondary and at linebacker, but in my opinion, that just means you can't give the QB a chance to sit back and have enough time to go through so many progressions. The d-line just isn't the type that will get pressure on the QB by just rushing four. Part of this may be because of the players, but I think most of it has to do with the two gap system the line uses.

Part of a coach's/coordinator's job is to put his players in the best position to succeed. Neither the offensive or defensive coordinators did this for the full game. It appeared both coordinators had a great gameplan coming in, but then didn't stick with it for whatever reason. I understand making changes as certain things stop working, but as far as I could see, the things we started the game doing were still working.

Alot of problems with the team that hopefully can be fixed. This could have been a breakthrough game for the program, but instead it fell flat on its face in the spotlight again. Unfortunately, this has been a trend under Pelini and this will most likely be just another one of those seasons similar to 2009 & 2010: the team does okay, but doesn't really do anything that shows they have broken through to the next level.

Martinez will NEVER be a good passer. Or a good quarterback. Everyone was so enthralled because last year, he opened up and showed great acceleration against mediocre teams. Yet we all thought this somehow made him a good quarterback. His passing has not improved in the least and never will. His running threat is no longer a threat because teams are not surprised by it anymore. He has extremely poor decision making and poor mechanics. He needs to be a slot receiver, not a signal caller. I would love to hear anyone defend him after this shitfest of a game. Good quarterbacks do not make the mistakes he made tonight. Period. And it's not even so much the mistakes, it's the complete lack of improvement in every facet. Mechanics, interceptions, motion, putting the ball on the ground. What exactly does he do well besides burst through a huge gap?

This is probably what will keep me on Huskerboard for the next few days. I'm really looking forward to this.

Yea me too, cant wait.