Scary stats for Bo, but interesting

Robsker, I won't say your right or wrong time will tell, but I still see this team with all its trouble at this time, still winning 9 to 10 games this season. Michigan being the next lose if the defense isn't righted by then.

GBR!!!

Huskerred:

I hope my friend that you are right! And I agree with the GBR!!!

And... if I am wrong, I will be among the first to admit it and smile and tell everyone that I am glad I'm wrong... because that means our beloved Big Red is doing better.

I do not think though that I am wrong..

You are thinking that Ohio State is a win... why?

I watched the Mich st and Ohio st game and, Ohio st doesn't have a qb that can pass or run, and they seem to be playing not to get beat bad. Kind of like when Callahan took the Huskers to USC. Don't see having any problem with Mich st either, as they didn't show much against Ohio st. Of course having both these games at home helps.

GBR!!!

Robsker, I won't say your right or wrong time will tell, but I still see this team with all its trouble at this time, still winning 9 to 10 games this season. Michigan being the next lose if the defense isn't righted by then.

GBR!!!

Huskerred:

I hope my friend that you are right! And I agree with the GBR!!!

And... if I am wrong, I will be among the first to admit it and smile and tell everyone that I am glad I'm wrong... because that means our beloved Big Red is doing better.

I do not think though that I am wrong..

You are thinking that Ohio State is a win... why?

I watched the Mich st and Ohio st game and, Ohio st doesn't have a qb that can pass or run, and they seem to be playing not to get beat bad. Kind of like when Callahan took the Huskers to USC. Don't see having any problem with Mich st either, as they didn't show much against Ohio st. Of course having both these games at home helps.

GBR!!!

Glad to hear that. They are talented to be sure but, according to your testimony --- and I guess it is also clear from their record --- they are really struggling. So good... maybe we can get past them. That would certainly be nice.

When Bo goes down, he goes down in flames.

And when he wins it is against poor teams and it is ugly.

Bo has simply done a very poor job as a head coach.

Poor preparation. Teams fielded w/o heart or passion. Teams unprepared, poor assignment football --- worse than any team I have seen.

They play flat, lifeless against weak competition. And freak out against good competition --- imploding and killing themselves.

Poor offensive game plans. And now, oddly, even the defense is not fundamentally sound.

I think that Bo has to be viewed now as coaching for his job --- that is, from here on out this season, he better improve a great, great deal or he will be on the hot seat.

This game did not at all surprise me. I predicted a big loss and even stated that the potential for a blow out was there --- I went on record and said Wisconsin by 21-35 pts. Why? Because of our poor coaching (and the resulting play of under-prepared players who are not focused). Thus, my stating that Bo has been doing a poor job as a head coach is not an over reaction to one game. I cannot over-react to a game that I predicted, essentially would go precisely as it went. I have been softly posting for the past year that Bo is wildly over-rated by most posters here --- and that he has done well, well below average as a head coach. He is seemingly not getting better. I now fear that he has lost this team... or... at the very least, is losing the team.

I predicted before the season began that NU would lose 4 games in conference. That again was predicated upon the past inability of Bo to ready his teams. We will lose 3 more times in conference --- maybe 4 more.

That Bo has not played Carnes for at least 1 quarter of each of the first four games against the cream puffs is inexcusable. the kid needs reps. He may not be a D1 QB either... but the one starting is CERTAINLY not. As much as I wish it was not the case, Martinez is no D1 QB. That is clear now and it was clear long ago. An... he is not really that good of a runner either -- check his stats against conference competition. Last night, Martinez needed to sit some and get unrattled --- but Bo did not provide a context for such as he did not prepare his back-up earlier in the season.

None of this is a surprise. It all plots as a pretty straight line --- Bo has been consistent from the start --- over his time here the NU team has game in and game out under-performed --- always weak on fundamentals, passion, drive, physicality, and focus --- almost always with poor coaching on offense, poor roster management from the start, and now even (and this is both new and odd) coaching problems on defense.

Buckle up folks... this season is set for much of the same. The past always is the best predictor of the future.

Holy cow- is this a joke? We have to be the most short-sighted, spoiled fans of all time. Sorry that Bo has only won 9, 10, and 10 games his first three seasons. Sorry that we haven't had a bad, beatdown loss since 2008. Looks like you've forgotten how to take it it's been so long.

You're right, we're always under-prepared, play with no passion. That 2009 Big XII CCG, man I wish those guys had played harder. Same with Mizzou the last two years, or at TTU in 2008.

I will take on your prediction right now that we'll lose 4 in conference. Not sure you follow B1G football, but the rest of the teams we're playing are not good.

Thanks for the laughs though- Bo on the hot seat. Please just cool down and come back in a few days.

• Fire 1

From ESPN

Since 2000, Nebraska is 2-16 against top-10 teams (1-6 under Bo Pelini), allowing more than 33 PPG, while scoring fewer than 20. Eleven of those 16 losses have come by double digits including six by at least 20 points.

They haven't won a road game against a top-10 team since beating Washington 27-14 on September 20, 1997

But Bo has only been here since 2008, and most of those stats include the Callahan/Cosgrove era and the worst of the Solich era. Pretty much nothing to do with Pelini in the big picture.

Poor preparation. Teams fielded w/o heart or passion. Teams unprepared, poor assignment football --- worse than any team I have seen.

They play flat, lifeless against weak competition. And freak out against good competition --- imploding and killing themselves.

Poor offensive game plans. And now, oddly, even the defense is not fundamentally sound.

I think that Bo has to be viewed now as coaching for his job --- that is, from here on out this season, he better improve a great, great deal or he will be on the hot seat.

This game did not at all surprise me. I predicted a big loss and even stated that the potential for a blow out was there --- I went on record and said Wisconsin by 21-35 pts. Why? Because of our poor coaching (and the resulting play of under-prepared players who are not focused). Thus, my stating that Bo has been doing a poor job as a head coach is not an over reaction to one game. I cannot over-react to a game that I predicted, essentially would go precisely as it went. I have been softly posting for the past year that Bo is wildly over-rated by most posters here --- and that he has done well, well below average as a head coach. He is seemingly not getting better. I now fear that he has lost this team... or... at the very least, is losing the team.

I predicted before the season began that NU would lose 4 games in conference. That again was predicated upon the past inability of Bo to ready his teams. We will lose 3 more times in conference --- maybe 4 more.

That Bo has not played Carnes for at least 1 quarter of each of the first four games against the cream puffs is inexcusable. the kid needs reps. He may not be a D1 QB either... but the one starting is CERTAINLY not. As much as I wish it was not the case, Martinez is no D1 QB. That is clear now and it was clear long ago. An... he is not really that good of a runner either -- check his stats against conference competition. Last night, Martinez needed to sit some and get unrattled --- but Bo did not provide a context for such as he did not prepare his back-up earlier in the season.

None of this is a surprise. It all plots as a pretty straight line --- Bo has been consistent from the start --- over his time here the NU team has game in and game out under-performed --- always weak on fundamentals, passion, drive, physicality, and focus --- almost always with poor coaching on offense, poor roster management from the start, and now even (and this is both new and odd) coaching problems on defense.

Buckle up folks... this season is set for much of the same. The past always is the best predictor of the future.

Holy cow- is this a joke? We have to be the most short-sighted, spoiled fans of all time. Sorry that Bo has only won 9, 10, and 10 games his first three seasons. Sorry that we haven't had a bad, beatdown loss since 2008. Looks like you've forgotten how to take it it's been so long.

You're right, we're always under-prepared, play with no passion. That 2009 Big XII CCG, man I wish those guys had played harder. Same with Mizzou the last two years, or at TTU in 2008.

I will take on your prediction right now that we'll lose 4 in conference. Not sure you follow B1G football, but the rest of the teams we're playing are not good.

Thanks for the laughs though- Bo on the hot seat. Please just cool down and come back in a few days.

Not sure you read the post. He doesn't need to 'cool down' and come back later because he thought it would happen in advance and is unsurprised that it happened as predicted. And his opinion that we should expect more of the same in the future under Bo is one that is steadily gaining the weight of facts and evidence to back it up. Nobody called for Pelini's head, but I'll reiterate something I said last year when we were hiring coordinators. I won't blame Tim Beck for the offensive meltdown. Pelini had the chance to go out and get basically anyone he wanted. He chose his buddy from a failed staff. From here on, our success or failure is on Pelini, and if we drop four conference games, you better believe lighters are flicking under his seat.

Not sure you read the post. He doesn't need to 'cool down' and come back later because he thought it would happen in advance and is unsurprised that it happened as predicted. And his opinion that we should expect more of the same in the future under Bo is one that is steadily gaining the weight of facts and evidence to back it up. Nobody called for Pelini's head, but I'll reiterate something I said last year when we were hiring coordinators. I won't blame Tim Beck for the offensive meltdown. Pelini had the chance to go out and get basically anyone he wanted. He chose his buddy from a failed staff. From here on, our success or failure is on Pelini, and if we drop four conference games, you better believe lighters are flicking under his seat.

I'll be sure to come back when we go 6-2 in conference.

Hey Rob,

There's an unfortunate side effect of being dedicated to reason--we get honest, hard posts like these. I can't jump on the fire Pelini bandwagon, which I don't think is what you're suggesting anyway, but his miraculous defensive turnaround in two years speaks volumes about his potential abilities, and I'm as surprised as anyone about his defense this year. Part of me thinks if it were even playing something like on par with last year we wouldn't be having this conversation, but we are. I'm sure you're about to get jumped on big time, so let me be the first to back you up, sir.

What I see right now in this team is what we've been seeing for years. We're a team living in the shadow of Osborne, and while no serious person expects in this day and age to legitimately compete for a national championship every single year, the fact that we can't transcend surviving games we should dominate and occasionally knocking off teams of comparable or greater talent is frustrating. We're a program feeding off an image of days long gone by, expectations always surpassing performance by a considerable margin.

I wasn't a fan of Pelini's timidity in his offseason hires and nothing between then and now has forced me to rethink that skepticism. For the third straight year we witnessed an offensive implosion when the lights came on. Not a bad play, a bad break--a complete and utter breakdown at every level. The penalty flags were flying as were the errant passes. You would ask someone what happened, but who has a clue? They haven't for three years and they won't tomorrow. We've heard plenty of guff about Nebraska 'finding an identity' on offense, but the gag is they've had an identity all along, and it's been right in front of our faces. Like you, I'm willing to call a spade a spade.

I said the real criticism of Martinez would begin when his athleticism against weak opponents no longer outweighed his mistakes against better ones. Well, it has begun. I thought he had grown a bit since last year. I hoped by game 5 we would have seen it. I think we've all seen enough of Martinez. the results speak for themselves.

I'm with you on Bo as far as this: the "I trust Bo" and "Don't underestimate Beck" crowd can sit down now. We've heard enough. Trust is earned. You want it, earn it. If the season goes as you predict--and I conceded it may well do just that--we'll be having this conversation as fans with a lot more edge in our voices. One terrible game into the season isn't the time, but that time could show up soon, which is a sad enough story as it stands.

You said it all. I was going to post my opinion, but little did i know that you were thinking the same exact thing.

I hope we do and I hope you do. Unfortunately, Taylor Martinez is going to see defenses comparable to Wisconsin just about every week. First reality taps, then knocks, and then pounds on the door. I can hear it loud and clear. Hopefully it's only here to deliver a plate of crow for me to eat.

Man I hope you do. If we go 6-2 in conference I would be most pleased and I would join you in celebrating.

I really hope you are right about that prediction. That said, I hedge towards the 4-4 conference record --- again not because I want such a thing -- man, no way... I have followed NU football for 25 years non stop and want nothing more than to see NU do well --- but because I do not see the coaching staff here at present getting these kids prepared. Now... a thought. Maybe this beatdown is what this team needed to get on track. maybe the staff can parlay this into something forward moving. But the past has shown that this staff has not done a good job getting the team to play up to its potential. So a 4-4 record (4-3 in our remaining games) is pretty reasonable --- it is, after all, precisely what I predicted before the season began... and nothing I have seen so far inclines me to change that prediction. But... I hope I am wrong and you are right.

HuskerX... thanks for backing me... I agree with you on the hiring of an O coordinator from a failed staff... very questionable move... Bo will, potentially, live or die on that one.

One last point --- I am not calling for a fire Bo campaign --- but to assert that Bo is not hedging toward a hot seat (defined as buck up and improve you are on probation for now) based upon his performance to date is ... well a very kool-aid induced perspective not grounded in the facts.

**Be Careful with Statistics**

I agree that the 2-16 stat is not good. Not good at all. That said, I wonder how many of those games came against Oklahoma and Texas while they were winning national championships, or at least making serious runs at national championships? How many of the remainder came during the Clownihan era?

Let's not forget that one of those wins came just last year against a #7 ranked Missouri team. We came out fired up and prepared and we kicked their butts.

In 2009 we missed beating #3 ranked Texas in the big 12 championship by 1 friggin' point and 1 second. It hurt bad, but we were *in* that game despite having a ridiculously incompetent offense.

Bo's three other losses (last night aside for the moment) came against two top 5 teams and a #7 Texas Tech team (in OT). In 2008 when he had just taken the reins of one of the worst coached, most defensively hopeless squads in all of D1. I can only barely count those against him.

Let's not forget that Tom Osborne was 2-5 against top ten teams in his first four years at NU. Yes, Osborne was 2-5. And he inherited a squad only one year removed from back-to-back national championship winning squad when he took the reins in 1973. This was a far cry from the mess Bo inherited.

**The Real Story**

Moving on, I agree that this team has a long way to go. Obviously. And that Bo's teams have had a surprising lack of focus often times. And the penalty / turnover phenomenon is killing us. Bo, by his own admission, doesn't seem to have an answer to this. I was feeling better about the penalties this year, but that's right out the window after last night.

Still, Bo delivered 9 wins somehow in 2008, and 10 wins each of the last two years. I'm still mad about UW last year -- We were that close to 9, 10, and then 11 wins.

Despite the horrific play of our team last night, I still don't think 10 or even 11 wins is out of the realm of possibility this year. We could drop one more in league play, lose round 2 to Wisconsin, and beat some shmoe in a bowl and end up 11-3. Or drop two more in league play and win that rematch with Wisconsin. Man, that would be sweet.

I know I've wearing my scarlet colored glasses here. But one game should not, and indeed does not, sink a career. Who really thinks we'll end the year with fewer than 9 or 10 wins? Patience Husker Nation. We've still got a lot of football left this year and Bo has a long and promising career ahead of him here (if I have my way). Hopefully our guys come out fired up and pissed off from here on out.

Robsker where was the Rexcat? I agree with everything you posted. Taylor should've been sat and we could've let Rex run the offense. We showed it for Wyoming but didn't play our hand. The big passes we hit early on was because of confusion we created with our formations. Rexcat gives them one more formation to start defending. We got out of our gameplan and for no clear reason we refused to go back to it.

Bo needs to be held accountable. I love him and think he's a good coach. I was happy to see him start to go after the players because something's not working. If this secondary doesn't improve over the year he has got to cut ties with the new guy. They are by far the most disappointing unit on the field.

robsker,

Can I ask you a question, and I am not trying to start a pissing match here. Have you ever coached any sport at a high level (Large High School or up)?

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but what difference would that make? Results are results (or lack there-of) and Bo's team laid an absolute egg last night.

Ok, you be happy with a 6-2 conference record. That will just confirm what Rob was saying, We beat (sometimes barely) inferior opponents and fall apart against the quality ones. This conference is bad enough that there a multitude of teams that would go 6-2. Some of the lower level SEC teams would have just a Wisconsin loss. I don't think we should be looking at that record as somthing to crow about. We haven't had a bad beatdown loss since 2008? Did you forget the bowl game last year.

I'm concerned. This year is looking eerily similar to last year, and that didn't end well. Like Rob, I hope I am completely wrong and things get turned around quickly....but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree that this isn't the year that we return to glory. No way, no chance. But who would have predicted that we would this year? 10 wins is doable and that ain't all bad. Is it what we want? Hell no. But I'm not giving up on this team because the new OC lost his head for a quarter.

(I have to assume that the defense will improve. Bo has a great track record there no matter his other faults.)