Madison Experience

I think we're hearing about the worst-case stuff because that's basically what's being asked about. I've cruised through this thread and I've read several positive things about Wiscy fans. I glanced at some threads about the Madison Experience from some of our competitor boards (weak competitors, of course) and the response is overwhelmingly positive, both from Husker fans and Badger fans. My takeaway from this weekend is that there are pockets of fans that are abrasive, but not abusive (depending on your take on language) and overall they're pretty darned good.

EDIT - and even the Badgers that are posting in this thread are good eggs, as eggs go. We've had probably the best overall visitors from Wisconsin of any team we've had all year to HuskerBoard. What we're seeing here isn't indicative of a fanbase that's filled with A'holes. It's just a couple of folks here and there (and the students) and you won't find a fanbase anywhere without their share of A'holes, Nebraska included.

So can we put this to rest now? It's gotten way more "press" here than it deserves, in my opinion.

You are wrong, and its not worse case stuff, and i dont get offended eaisly. Ive been to every Big 12 stadium and ive heard everything under the sun, and its usually good natured ribbing by most. This was not comparable to anywhere else ive been, they werent doing it just for fun they were more serious then usual. The sheer amount of fans doing was astonishing. It wasnt every once in ahwile it was constant harassment. Calling a woman a whore because she has a Nebraska shirt on is unacceptable. By the way my reply was "good game guys" because im more respectful and classy then that. And i walked away shaking my head, until about 10 seconds later when i get called a f a g got to my face, about 2" from my face...again. Or get the middle finger shoved in my face. This happened to ALOT of people, so please dont pretend that this is normal, or it was only encountered by a few. It was not normal and Madison students are pathetic. The rest were very nice midwest type people. The students were asholes, or "younger crowd"

I would go back because the atmosphere INSIDE the stadium was fun, and Madison is a beautiful place.... and im a big boy and can handle myself just fine, i was never offended, and never got pissed, well calling my wife a whore got me pissed, but other then that i just laughed at how pathetic alot of fans were. In my college years i probably would have been in jail, thou. Im not overly sensitive, in fact i could really care less, just reporting what i saw, and mostly just got laughed off. But in all honesty it happend so much it was hard at times to have fun both Friday and Saturday nights. Luckily i had some seats around some good people otherwise i the game would have sucked even worse then it did. All the comments after the game was decided were pleasant with well see ya in December, and why did you guys think you could gpass the ball you were doing just fine running it.....nice people. So it wasnt all bad. Like i said just mostly the younger crowd.

And again it could be because i am younger and look even younger then i am, or i hung out in the wrong part of town too much...idk.

I always thought I wanted to attend a game at Camp Randall someday. I'm not so sure after reading through most of these home team accounts of the general behavior that one can expect to be subjected to. It's not my or any other Husker fans place to tell you what should be acceptable or unacceptable behavior in your house. I am simply astonished at the huge amount of justifying you guys do to explain the poor behavior of your students. Saying that's just the way it is, is no excuse. Saying you used to be terrible at football and therefore it is now simply a party first and throw respectable behavior out the window attitude is no excuse. Telling the guests that they need to get thicker skin and basically bow down and accept verbal insults and taunts without letting it bother them is only a wishful request. Somebody gets in my face hurling insults and I'm probably gonna drop em. But you make it sound like that would be my fault for not just bending over and taking it. This is the same type of mentality that places the blame for a rape on the cute girl. I can take a group A-hole chant and off color language but if it gets personal up in my grill, there's probably going to be a problem. One thing is for sure; the behavior at Camp Randall is all your baby. You can blame visitors all you want for being the real problem but that doesn't change the facts. I am reminded of an episode of the Sopranos where Tony and his son are in a very dilapidated crackhead neighborhood and a couple locals come up to them and tell them this is their neighborhood, Tony looks around and says "I can see that".

This diatribe is mostly directed at Panthers post on the previous page. I doubt things are that much different with the general fanbase but I do get the idea that your students might need to be brought in line with some acceptable social behavior norms.

THIS ISN'T NICE!! STOP READING NOW IF YOU WANT SUGAR AND SWEETNESS;

Thanks to the two Husker fans wearing Black colored sweat shirts who came to my wife's resuce in the restaurant in Madison yesterday when she was accosted and then assaulted by 3 drunken Pig Badger fans (is there any other kind?). I hope you read this board, as I know no other way to express my gratitude. It takes real tough guys to wait til I went to the rest room and then confront a middle age female trying to eat her meal and minding her own business, and attempt to tear off her Huker Sweatshirt. When she told them to get their f@#$&*g hands off her one grabbed her by the neck and lifted her up and slammed her back and head against the wall. It was at that point you guys intervened and man oh man, did you. Those guys faces are both seriously scarred and disfigured. It'll take major plastic surgery for them to look anything close to normal; otherwse, they'll spend their lives working the carnival circuit in the freak shows. I added to your work and inflicted some more damage to 2 of their heads and bodies. Hopefully, they'll be blind, and suffer from brain damage and internal bleeding along with your contributions.

I owe you guys big time and hope to find you so that I can express my gratitude personally. For the record--before the Manager rushed me out of there to avoid the Cops I asked him to shred you check so there'd be no record of who you are. He did this but without first taking your name and address for me. So your dinner and drinks are on me. Credit the debit in your checkbook. You also have a standing dinner for 4 (anything on the menu plus as many drinks as you and your guests can handle) whenever you want it. Ask for the Manager--he's the one who hustled you guys out via the service elevator to avoid the Cops (We made it out thru the kitchen). He and the family that owns the place are close friends of mine and they'll take care of you. If you want a friend for life you have one If you want to remain unknown to me that's up to you but I hope you guys can at least get that dinner, and more if you want it.

Also, the Badger Pukes somehow got off the floor and out of there seconds before the Cops came in so there was no report taken, though they did comment on the large amount of blood on the carpet. All things considered, I guess I'm thankful for the "Wild West" solution. I could have stayed and had them arrested, testified against them, and then sued them. But in this nitwit society in which we live you and I could have wound up being arrested and possibly sued too.

I don't usually condone this type of thing but when someone touches (let alone smashes) my wife There is no civilized response in my book. Lucky for them I didn't have a gun because I definitely would have used it (lucky for me too, I guess). My wife has a congenital back problem and could have wound up in a wheel chair. Fortunately she's OK. I took her to Urgent Care last night but she checks out fine. She was badly shaken though, and still is today.

So fellas, thanks for standing up and not just attempting to reason with these Red & White C@#$S*&$#@s, but doing something that saved an innocent person serious injiury. I'm indebted to you guys forever. I'm spending my Sunday fantasizing about hundreds upon hundreds of drunken Badger slob fans (is there any other kind?) flipping their cars and leaving their Red & White brains all over the freeways (their side of the border, of course). I may come away from that thought in a few days, but not yet!! My last thought on Badger fans are of the 2 other couples in the restaurant who were not with the perpetrators but made no effort to reign them in while there was still time. After I returned and was driving the leg of a chair into one of the eye sockets of one your victims a Badger bystander (the one who called the Cops on a cell phone) screamed at me "it's not fair what you're doing". Didn't have the time to deal with him but wish I could have. It'll be a long time before anybody involved forgets about this incident. Thanks guys for rescuing my beloved. Nothing more to say than if you ever need me, here I am. If you want to contact me go thru the restaurant, not here.

Thanks to the two Husker fans wearing Black colored sweat shirts who came to my wife's resuce in the restaurant in Madison yesterday when she was accosted and then assaulted by 3 drunken Pig Badger fans (is there any other kind?). I hope you read this board, as I know no other way to express my gratitude. It takes real tough guys to wait til I went to the rest room and then confront a middle age female trying to eat her meal and minding her own business, and attempt to tear off her Huker Sweatshirt. When she told them to get their f@#$&*g hands off her one grabbed her by the neck and lifted her up and slammed her back and head against the wall. It was at that point you guys intervened and man oh man, did you. Those guys faces are both seriously scarred and disfigured. It'll take major plastic surgery for them to look anything close to normal; otherwse, they'll spend their lives working the carnival circuit in the freak shows. I added to your work and inflicted some more damage to 2 of their heads and bodies. Hopefully, they'll be blind, and suffer from brain damage and internal bleeding along with your contributions.

I owe you guys big time and hope to find you so that I can express my gratitude personally. For the record--before the Manager rushed me out of there to avoid the Cops I asked him to shred you check so there'd be no record of who you are. He did this but without first taking your name and address for me. So your dinner and drinks are on me. Credit the debit in your checkbook. You also have a standing dinner for 4 (anything on the menu plus as many drinks as you and your guests can handle) whenever you want it. Ask for the Manager--he's the one who hustled you guys out via the service elevator to avoid the Cops (We made it out thru the kitchen). He and the family that owns the place are close friends of mine and they'll take care of you. If you want a friend for life you have one If you want to remain unknown to me that's up to you but I hope you guys can at least get that dinner, and more if you want it.

Also, the Badger Pukes somehow got off the floor and out of there seconds before the Cops came in so there was no report taken, though they did comment on the large amount of blood on the carpet. All things considered, I guess I'm thankful for the "Wild West" solution. I could have stayed and had them arrested, testified against them, and then sued them. But in this nitwit society in which we live you and I could have wound up being arrested and possibly sued too.

I don't usually condone this type of thing but when someone touches (let alone smashes) my wife There is no civilized response in my book. Lucky for them I didn't have a gun because I definitely would have used it (lucky for me too, I guess). My wife has a congenital back problem and could have wound up in a wheel chair. Fortunately she's OK. I took her to Urgent Care last night but she checks out fine. She was badly shaken though, and still is today.

So fellas, thanks for standing up and not just attempting to reason with these Red & White C@#$S*&$#@s, but doing something that saved an innocent person serious injiury. I'm indebted to you guys forever. I'm spending my Sunday fantasizing about hundreds upon hundreds of drunken Badger slob fans (is there any other kind?) flipping their cars and leaving their Red & White brains all over the freeways (their side of the border, of course). I may come away from that thought in a few days, but not yet!! My last thought on Badger fans are of the 2 other couples in the restaurant who were not with the perpetrators but made no effort to reign them in while there was still time. After I returned and was driving the leg of a chair into one of the eye sockets of one your victims a Badger bystander (the one who called the Cops on a cell phone) screamed at me "it's not fair what you're doing". Didn't have the time to deal with him but wish I could have. It'll be a long time before anybody involved forgets about this incident. Thanks guys for rescuing my beloved. Nothing more to say than if you ever need me, here I am. If you want to contact me go thru the restaurant, not here.

I'm not going to say I don't believe your story, but it's very curious that we've heard nothing even remotely like THIS KIND of behavior from anyone who went to Madison over the weekend.

It's also very curious that this was posted from a Michigan State University computer.

the leg of a chair to the eyesockets is a dead giveaway that it is a troll.

lol.....i am sure i've heard this urban legend before. you are obviously trolling.

So, China's building inferior trolls now too, eh?

If you actually sat down and typed this, that's pretty impressive.

Boring!!!!! If you’re going to take the time to write something like this you might as well make it entertaining or at least humorous. Complete waste of time.

This is the chairleg story I referenced a page or two ago.

If you read this entire thing you'd realize that it's not possible. Now imagine if you will a whole slew of people buying this nonsense completely. That's what happened by a fair number of East Dakotans. Stories like this one are simply unbelievable and a huge reason why Badger fans in general are going to be skeptical about certain things we read on threads like this one. Instead we'll do an interrogation, make jokes about it, and hopefully figure out how legit it is or is not.

First off here is how our entire game day went for my Wif'es and I's trip to Madison. Get up early, decided that Friday was too much fun and skipped out on College Gameday.

We went to breakfast and headed to campus to tailgate around 9:00am. Our tailgate party included meeting about 9 UW fans (8 that we had never met) about 3 other NU fans. Setup and started to get our drink on. During the day I had a lot of questions and comments about NU as well as many many comments about how they appreiated us joining the conference and how good the fit felt to them. Hours went by and nothing but good people did we run into, almost a love fest while we talked about it later. :)

Next step of our day was to walk toward the stadium. We were directly behind the Kohl's center (basketball areana) and took the bike path to the Camp Randall. About a 10 minute walk and again only fun football fans maybe a lil football banter but nothing harmful.

Lastly we get to the stadium, the UW friends that we knew we 5 rows down and about 10 seats over, we said our last good lucks and went on our ways. Got to our seats, realized we were the opposite endzone from the students, and the people in front of us welcomed us, then gave us a friendly warning that the owners are the first 5 seats in the row will be very hard get a long with and that we would have are very exciting game sit thru. The moment arrives, kick off is about 4-5 minutes away and our seat neighbors show up. They were more mad that the owvers sold the tickets then there were us NU fans in the seats. We talked a little bit and I could tell we wouldn't have any trouble from these people.

My first and second bad experinces happened about the same time, can't remember the order but the public address speaker says "The university of Wisconsin would like to welcolme Nebraska to the Big Ten Conference" and this was of course followed by Booooooooooooooo. Then the same thing happened when the huskers took the field. I felt like hmmm ok, where are all the fans that I talk to earlier in the day that seemed excited for us to be there.

Finally kick off, it had started, the fans around us seemed tense as the rest of us did. NU starts with and bang, defensive stop and a score and everyone around us is like, damn I hope you guys take it easy on us, this might be bad. Second score same thing, they tie the game but still they seem scared. They get the ball back and score to go ahead, and the section that we were in changes instantly. People around us start to get mouthy, nothing bad but a little more confident to speak towards our general direction.

As the game went on and the score difference increase it got worse. Comments about leaving and take the !@#$%^ team that came to watch with us. References about spending all that money to come here and getting F'n stomped. My favorite comment of the night, 3rd down stop and I hear "Hey the F'n option doesn't work, get the F outta here." So I played this card and feel horrible about it "It worked the other 5 times pretty well" They respond "Which 5 times", I return with "The 5 championship trophies, how many do you all have again" Yes I said it, I can't believe I did it, it wasn't my proudest moment however it did shut that single person up for the rest of the game.

Toward the end of the 4th quarter I get a text from the UW fans that we spent the day with and that hosted us to the tailgate, saying that they had to leave the stadium because the UW fans around them were so bad to a few Husker fans that she had to remove her husband before he did something stupid. She then hoped that the fans in our area treat us with a little more respect. I fibbed a little saying we were just fine and dandy.

The walk back to the lot was low key, mostly like the game, people would make comments in our direction just never at your face. Towards the end of our walk a UW student ran up to my wife and asked "Why are all you Nebraska fans so nice, it makes it no fun to say all these bad things to all or you."

Finally the first honest thing I heard since the crap talk started. He gave her a hi-five and ran back into is house.:)

This is only the 5th away game that we have been to, and by far the worst we have ever been treated (and yes I have been to Colorado).

Now that I have completed that rant, I would have to agree with what others have said, that they have great atmosphere, great fan participation, and they all sing really well. One thing they will need to learn, is to win with class, just not so sure they want to.

Z

It's great having you guys in the same conference and your fans are some of the most knowledgeable that I've come across. The day that it was announced that Nebraska was joining the conference I fist pumped in real life. I only wish that the teams shared a division, because I could imagine a friendly rivalry developing (the vitriol is generally saved for Iowa, O$U, and Michigan. I didn't forget Minnesota, they're just irrelevant at this point).

I've read the thread and one thing I wanted to put out there for thought is that there seems to be a cultural incongruence. I suspect that the atmosphere in Madison is more heavily influenced by the students than at most other campuses. This is due to the enormous student section, enormous student body, predilection towards the fire water, a good number of coasties living a transient phase of their life, and a very strong history of political protests which leads to something subtly like scorn for the rules and social conventions. I won't pretend that night games are a welcoming atmosphere for visitors, but I have walked past and alongside thousands of visiting fans near the stadium and I've never seen anybody in somebody's face, much less physically violent. It surely happens, but it's rare.

The swearing is common. Anybody surprised by it did not do their homework. Anybody offended by it will need thicker skin at away games. I'll give you that Camp Randall is probably the worst in the B1G for language and I'll admit that I wish it was a bit toned down. It is reality, though, and it's not personal. I think the under 30s just tend to swear a lot here in general. When I was 12 I freaked my babysitter from Maryland out with my language and so I've paid attention to my words more around people from Not-Madison. I'm not endorsing it but I have to ask this: If the people saying the words don't mean them in the way that you think they mean them, should you be frightened by or angry about their words?

I sincerely wish the incidents reported here hadn't occurred. I loathe the idea of new rules and laws generally but I would welcome an initiative here that would put undercover policemen out on the streets with the intent to hand citations to anybody seen verbally or physically assaulting another. That stuff has to stop. I'll defend the language but if people are feeling physically threatened here it's a damned tragedy and needs to be addressed.

Yet another post rationalizing and justifying the lack of sportsmanship and poor behavior of this large student body. It seems many wiscy fans are embarrassed by it and would like it to change but just can't get beyond the reality of it. We have been going through the process of selecting a college for our HS senior son. Wisconsin was one of the schools we were looking at. It's off our list now. It is apparent wiscy is not properly helping to develop well rounded people. Hopefully you get a handle on dealing with your problems. You've at least made the first big step in realizing there is a problem. Now you just need to do something about it.