The Latest Quarterback Thread

i just don't see why it's necessary to have a run first qb in this offense. we need someone who is capable of running and passing for more than a quarter. i get that the playcalling got sketchy toward the end of the first half...but the 2nd interception we were running a 2 minute drill. the 3rd was the first play of the second half. i just don't get how you can blame it all on the playcalling. indeed it was questionable but nobody wins consistently when your qb has a 50% completion percentage, why don't people understand that?

i just don't see why it's necessary to have a run first qb in this offense. we need someone who is capable of running and passing for more than a quarter. i get that the playcalling got sketchy toward the end of the first half...but the 2nd interception we were running a 2 minute drill. the 3rd was the first play of the second half. i just don't get how you can blame it all on the playcalling. indeed it was questionable but nobody wins consistently when your qb has a 50% completion percentage, why don't people understand that?

Because they're not at the genius level you are.

T. Frazier wasn't even a 50% passer and that's why he couldn't win too.

I think what alot of posters are forgetting about the Osborne quote. Is that the option we ran in the 90's was the same in structure as the one we ran in the 80's. The difference is that we had the athletes to do it and do it VERY well.

Osborne himself said that the option can't be stopped IF you have the proper athletes at each position to run it.

This begs the question: Does NU have the proper athlete at the QB position to operate our present offense? Most pundits now would say NO.

The total of ALL the parts is what makes championship caliber teams.

What Frazier lacked in passing skills he made up for in leadership and moxie. I dont want to compare the 90's to now, but I think you can see the point I'm trying to make here.

But he threw a lot less passes to the opponent.

Exactly. In 1995 Frazier was 92/163 (56.4%) with 17TDs and 4INTs.

94 was pretty much Brook's season

93 he was 77/162 (47.4%) with 12TDs and 4INTs

If Martinez went through a season w/ only 4 interceptions no one here would be give a sh!t about his accuracy. There is a major difference between the two when it comes to decision making.

Martinez MUST be a passer in this offense. It hardly looks like 93/94/95. Martinez already has 107 attempts after 5 games. After 6-7 he'll have as many has Frazier ever had in a single season. Frazier didn't have to be accurate, the offense's success didn't depend on it. He just had to keep from turning the ball over. Martinez needs to be more accurate in this offense. Or else we need to get back to 13 passes a game. And I don't think we have the OL to do that.

• Fire 1

Though he had 3 picks in 19 passes in the 94 & 95 bowl games. 7 in 64 passes in all bowl games.

So, the more you compare Martinez to Frazier, the closer we get to having all the same personnel as we had in '95.

Am I understanding you correctly?

I think what alot of posters are forgetting about the Osborne quote. Is that the option we ran in the 90's was the same in structure as the one we ran in the 80's. The difference is that we had the athletes to do it and do it VERY well.

Osborne himself said that the option can't be stopped IF you have the proper athletes at each position to run it.

This begs the question: Does NU have the proper athlete at the QB position to operate our present offense? Most pundits now would say NO.

The total of ALL the parts is what makes championship caliber teams.

What Frazier lacked in passing skills he made up for in leadership and moxie. I dont want to compare the 90's to now, but I think you can see the point I'm trying to make here.

What you're forgetting about is that it's not just a question of whether we have the proper athlete at the QB position, the question HAS TO include the O Line.