Chips are down for Bo, Martinez

zoogs

Once again, Dirk passes opinion as fact, but on this point, he's absolutely correct.

But if Martinez plays poorly Saturday — if he turns the ball over multiple times — Pelini owes it to his team and his fans to make a change.

Give someone else a chance. Take the bye week — and the Minnesota game — to prepare a new starter for the key divisional games.

IMO, give TM the first half of the game, if he plays poorly, at the bare minimum,sit him for a series or 2 to view the game from the sidelines.

One thing I keyed in on in his article was the question, "How are the players supposed to focus when they're fielding questions on campus about who the starter should be?"

Maybe they wouldn't be distracted, if people would only realize what those questions do. Or maybe the players should be more thick-skinned. EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE [ranging from the students on campus to the players and coaches to the media reporters] contributes to the mess. It's a cycle and each one perpetuates another.

Dirk hit the ball outta the park with this article. He makes a great point about the double standard Pelini has created for his players. It's that double standard that makes me think Pelini will never give up on Martinez, not even when Taylor drives our offense and our team's chances straight into the ground.

Like everyone on this board, I'd hate to see this program go that direction, especially when we have so many electric players and sooooo much potential. We still have one of the most talented, athletic teams in the conference (and the country). At this point, we just have to find a way to spread the ball to all that talent. Is Martinez the guy for that? I don't think so.

Dirk hit the ball outta the park with this article. He makes a great point about the double standard Pelini has created for his players. It's that double standard that makes me think Pelini will never give up on Martinez, not even when Taylor drives our offense and our team's chances straight into the ground.

Like everyone on this board, I'd hate to see this program go that direction, especially when we have so many electric players and sooooo much potential. We still have one of the most talented, athletic teams in the conference (and the country). At this point, we just have to find a way to spread the ball to all that talent. Is Martinez the guy for that? I don't think so.

It's not a double standard if TM is the best we have. Bo still sends Sean Fisher and Will Compton out there when they screw up. Why? Because they're the best LB's we have, and it ain't close.

IMO, the QB situation is probably the same way. But the fans don't care.

This article really nailed it. When we clear away all the BS the issue is pretty simple. A choice was made to go with a quarterback who after 17 starts has done nothing in any key situation to prove he's a quarterback. He lacks a ranged skill set, worsened by the fact that his main asset is pure track speed, and has imploded time and again. Oh, and he's a living turnover machine.

I'm not calling for Carnes. What I'm calling for is preparing him to take the reigns if this nonsense continues. It should have been done in all four non conference games. It should have been done for the end stages of the Wisconsin game. And this isn't some shadowy two-step to create a QB controversy that isn't there; it's common sense. We have an offense predicated upon a running QB. The statistics are overwhelming that he'll get dinged up at some point, even if it's only for a series. But if the worse should happen and Taylor goes down for a season, where's Pelini's stack of chips then?

Agreed. The main thing that bothers me about this offense is that they can't march down 80 yards and score a td. It's either on a big play or end up kicking a field goal and those two ways shouldn't be the only time we score. I heard something on the Wyoming game that Bo said that irked me. He could live with the Big plays from Taylor, but Bo what happens when we are limited by big plays or get none at all? It's a guaranteed loss. this offense has regressed from last year. Now every team left will key in on the big plays and try to limit them. If Carnes can march the team down the field and score a td and not rely solely on big plays to score then he needs to be in there. Bo really needs to see what he has in his back ups.

Live by the big play, die by the big play. During the nonconference, there were those of us saying we couldn't have the season we wanted relying on the big play. Unfortunately, we do not have the OL to march down the field 80 yards grinding it out. I don't think it really matters who we put behind center because our OL isn't good enough to allow maintained grind'em out drives.

In terms of utilizing the back up QB, Bo learned from the master Solich. The 2002 season more than likely wouldn't have been as dismal as it was had Lord been given a lot more rep's earlier in his career.

Ohhhhh man, I'm not sure I am going to agree with that about the LBs.

Roach is a maybe, but according to Els, Bo, and Carl, Fisher and Compton are the best we have. Bo benched Lee for Martinez, benched Arod for Choi, benched Thenarse and PJ for Cassidy and Osborne, etc... Bo has established a track record of benching guys if they don't perform, and guy behind him is close.

Husker fans don't want to realize it, but it seems to be the truth.

Live by the big play, die by the big play. During the nonconference, there were those of us saying we couldn't have the season we wanted relying on the big play. Unfortunately, we do not have the OL to march down the field 80 yards grinding it out. I don't think it really matters who we put behind center because our OL isn't good enough to allow maintained grind'em out drives.

In terms of utilizing the back up QB, Bo learned from the master Solich. The 2002 season more than likely wouldn't have been as dismal as it was had Lord been given a lot more rep's earlier in his career.

I thought this the first few games of the season, but I'm not sure I agree anymore - though I really have nothing concrete to go on yet. They have improved dramatically from the first couple of games though. And, I haven't seen us "attempt" to grind out a drive very often. It's rare that Beck comes out and just pounds a team.

I go back to the Washington game when we were leading 20-17. 9 plays, 56 yards 3:38. 8 rushes 1 pass. Or the first score during the 4th quarter. 9 plays, 86 yards 5:04. 8 rushes, 1 pass.

2nd score against Wyoming. 8 plays, 80 yards, 2:50. 6 rushes 2 passes. Or in the 4th quarter to go up 24. 11 plays, 80 yards 4:16. 11 rushes, 0 passes.

Those are the grind'em out drives you are talking about correct? They aren't 15 play, 6:00top drives...but they are pounding the rock affectively when the decides to. Problem is we just don't seem to "attemp" them very often. pass, rush, pass, punt...over and over. I'd like someone to put together stats on our 1st down success when we rush the ball on 1st down instead of pass. Seems like every 3 and out...we passed the ball on 1st down.

(I went though the Washington/Wyoming/Wisconsin games really quick)

Washington

Punting situations that started with a 1st down pass - 1

Punting situations that started with a 1st down rush - 3 (illegal procedure negated a 1st down, holding penalty negated another 1st down)

Wyoming

Punting situations that started with a 1st down pass - 2

Punting situations that started with a 1st down rush - 1 (only after taylor took a sack)

Wisconsin

Punting situations that started with a 1st down pass - 1

Punting situations that started with a 1st down rush - 2 (illegal formation negated a 7yrd gain on 1st, holding penalty on other drive)

So not as big of a discrepency as I though - but it seems to me like if we rush on 1st down more, and quit screwing ourselves with pentalties the odds that we have to punt are much slimmer. In fact only 1 drive in the last 3 games where we rushed on 1st down without a penalty resulted in a punt.

Roach is a maybe, but according to Els, Bo, and Carl, Fisher and Compton are the best we have. Bo benched Lee for Martinez, benched Arod for Choi, benched Thenarse and PJ for Cassidy and Osborne, etc... Bo has established a track record of benching guys if they don't perform, and guy behind him is close.

A-Rod was hurt and he benched Choi the very next game after having a good showing. He benched Lee after one of the best games in Bo's career (Arizona). Thenarse he was stubborn on until it was blatantly obvious to the world that the kid couldn't make a tackle.

This article really nailed it. When we clear away all the BS the issue is pretty simple. A choice was made to go with a quarterback who after 17 starts has done nothing in any key situation to prove he's a quarterback. He lacks a ranged skill set, worsened by the fact that his main asset is pure track speed, and has imploded time and again. Oh, and he's a living turnover machine.

I'm not calling for Carnes. What I'm calling for is preparing him to take the reigns if this nonsense continues. It should have been done in all four non conference games. It should have been done for the end stages of the Wisconsin game. And this isn't some shadowy two-step to create a QB controversy that isn't there; it's common sense. We have an offense predicated upon a running QB. The statistics are overwhelming that he'll get dinged up at some point, even if it's only for a series. But if the worse should happen and Taylor goes down for a season, where's Pelini's stack of chips then?

Agreed. The main thing that bothers me about this offense is that they can't march down 80 yards and score a td. It's either on a big play or end up kicking a field goal and those two ways shouldn't be the only time we score. I heard something on the Wyoming game that Bo said that irked me. He could live with the Big plays from Taylor, but Bo what happens when we are limited by big plays or get none at all? It's a guaranteed loss. this offense has regressed from last year. Now every team left will key in on the big plays and try to limit them. If Carnes can march the team down the field and score a td and not rely solely on big plays to score then he needs to be in there. Bo really needs to see what he has in his back ups.

damn......... i knew we would get around to laying this at the feet of Cotton.........but it took a while.

A-Rod was hurt and he benched Choi the very next game after having a good showing. He benched Lee after one of the best games in Bo's career (Arizona). Thenarse he was stubborn on until it was blatantly obvious to the world that the kid couldn't make a tackle.

Is that stubbornness or coaching? Truthfully, I don't think we know enough as fans to definitively say why these things happened.

Maybe he benched Choi for missing a practice or something else, there were rumors that Lee was hurt in '10 again, and maybe Thenarse performed the best in practices. I don't think there's evidence to suggest Bo is stubborn or he isn't.