Presser

No discussion from me as of yet but I'll just leave a transcript of the last quarter of the presser here, in the interests of a discussion based not on half-quotes or misinformation.

--

Dirk: Hey Bo, what impressed you the most about Taylor tonight?

Bo: You watched the game. You figure it out, huh?... What do you think?

Dirk: I thought he played with a lot of poise.

Bo: Mm-hm. So do I. Especially considering, you know, the articles...and things you did, did everything you could to rattle the guy.

Dirk: Who did?

Bo: You. I read your article. Friday.

Dirk: What'd you think of the crowd at the end of the first half?

Bo: What do you think? I could care less.

Dirk: It looked like you went like 'this' to them at one point.

Bo: I didn't do anything of the sort.

Dirk: Did that motivate guys, I mean, hearing the boos going into the half?

Bo: Our team is motivated period.

Dirk: Do you think Taylor would have been able to do what he did ...

Bo: I'm done with you. Let's get somebody who asks a question that's worth answering.

Other guy: Can you talk about the bye week coming up, is this the perfect time?

Bo: What's that?

Other guy: Bye week? Can you talk about if this is a good time for the bye?

Bo: Yeah, I think this is a good time. I think our football team is about half way, I think they need a break. Mentally and physically.

Guy #3: What is the key to seizing momentum when it's there to be seized, what did you guys do to do that, really take full control?

Bo: We played better football. We executed. That's what the game comes down to, execution. Same group of guys who played the second half played the first half. We executed better in the second half, we didn't execute very well in the first half.

Guy #4: How does it feel to beat your alma mater?

Bo: It's not about me, it's about the football team.

Bo: Thank you. (Leaves)

(Applause)

http://www.omaha.com...ten-home-opener

The thing to me is, he opened with a question that gave Bo boatloads of latitude to give TM all the props he deserved for the way he played. Bo was the one who turned it into a pissing match. Yes, we know he doesn't like the guy, but in this situation, just give the stock, cliched "coach" answers, give TM his credit and move on. Or better yet, just ignore his questions and take one frome someone else (if it works that way that he could have). Now this thing could escalate all year long between the two.

Bo, you just came off a huge, come-from-behind win, it wouldn't be a bad thing to act like you enjoyed it just a little bit

• Fire 2

No discussion from me as of yet but I'll just leave a transcript of the last quarter of the presser here, in the interests of a discussion based not on half-quotes or misinformation.

--

Dirk: Hey Bo, what impressed you the most about Taylor tonight?

Bo: You watched the game. You figure it out, huh?... What do you think?

Dirk: I thought he played with a lot of poise.

Bo: Mm-hm. So do I. Especially considering, you know, the articles...and things you did, did everything you could to rattle the guy.

Dirk: Who did?

Bo: You. I read your article. Friday.

Dirk: What'd you think of the crowd at the end of the first half?

Bo: What do you think? I could care less.

Dirk: It looked like you went like 'this' to them at one point.

Bo: I didn't do anything of the sort.

Dirk: Did that motivate guys, I mean, hearing the boos going into the half?

Bo: Our team is motivated period.

Dirk: Do you think Taylor would have been able to do what he did ...

Bo: I'm done with you. Let's get somebody who asks a question that's worth answering.

Other guy: Can you talk about the bye week coming up, is this the perfect time?

Bo: What's that?

Other guy: Bye week? Can you talk about if this is a good time for the bye?

Bo: Yeah, I think this is a good time. I think our football team is about half way, I think they need a break. Mentally and physically.

Guy #3: What is the key to seizing momentum when it's there to be seized, what did you guys do to do that, really take full control?

Bo: We played better football. We executed. That's what the game comes down to, execution. Same group of guys who played the second half played the first half. We executed better in the second half, we didn't execute very well in the first half.

Guy #4: How does it feel to beat your alma mater?

Bo: It's not about me, it's about the football team.

Bo: Thank you. (Leaves)

(Applause)

http://www.omaha.com...ten-home-opener

The thing to me is, he opened with a question that gave Bo boatloads of latitude to give TM all the props he deserved for the way he played. Bo was the one who turned it into a pissing match. Yes, we know he doesn't like the guy, but in this situation, just give the stock, cliched "coach" answers, give TM his credit and move on. Or better yet, just ignore his questions and take one frome someone else (if it works that way that he could have). Now this thing could escalate all year long between the two.

Bo, you just came off a huge, come-from-behind win, it wouldn't be a bad thing to act like you enjoyed it just a little bit

+1 That's kind of my thinking. Bo is the guy answering the question, he has all the answers. Gush about the team. Even if there is a negative question, you can talk about the positives and flip the question or don't even answer it. Talk about what you want to talk about, you have control. Politicians do this all the time and it drives me nuts, but in this case it's applicable.

I didn't know they tried to address this privately, I am not privy to anything being a standard fan. So I am disappointed it's still an issue. Obviously Bo doesn't trust the guy and something needs to be done. I think they (the admin) should get together again and work out a compromise. Maybe they should reassign the reporters to different duties. Maybe Bo/admin should appoint a press person to speak for the team. Maybe they should submit questions ahead of time and have them screened. And Bo/team should NOT READ the PAPER/listen to TV or read BBS. Practice what you preach. Fan's are fanatics. REACTIONARY. FICKLE. The media feeds the fans. Their job is to sell newspapers or get viewers.

Frankly, a lot of "Nebraska fans" deserved to be called out by Pelini just like that douche Dirk.

I believe Bo DID call out Nebraska fans this week....

And to the poster questioning whether the press has a right to criticize the team....Bo has the same right to take issue with the press' opinion.

I like Dirk's writing. I love Husker football, but I don't want sunshine pumped up my a$$ about the Huskers. I want some reality and I think he provides that.

I'm sure in his day T.O. had some unflattering columns / articles written about him, but T.O. has one thing Bo does not have and that's class.

Yeah TO also didn't have the internet and football being a multibillion dollar industry. It's more big business and journalism has change even more since the 90s. I do get tired of Bo lumping all Nebraska in with "fans" when he goes after criticism of his team and players but the guy has a high stress job and he knows ALL fans from ALL teams have these tendencies. It's business. He's the man right now and can conduct things the way he wants within the limits of his boss who IS TO. So apparently TO (Mr. Class) doesn't see this as a huge problem or Bo (Mr. No Class) would have been canned. The guy was hired to coach. What do you want a Bill Callahan or FS presser?

Frankly, a lot of "Nebraska fans" deserved to be called out by Pelini just like that douche Dirk.

I believe Bo DID call out Nebraska fans this week....

And to the poster questioning whether the press has a right to criticize the team....Bo has the same right to take issue with the press' opinion.

Yeah Bo called out the fans in his post game radio interview. He said something like "we had fans that choose to leave early and fans that booed us".

I mean, here's the thing: Bo was never going to answer any of Dirk's questions. Dirk had called out Taylor and called out Bo with an article, an article that had a couple of good points but those were few and far between - it was mostly a terrible stir-the-pot article. It was unprofessional and was a knock against Taylor and Bo that fans everywhere were reading and was arguably a distraction to Bo and the team. So Bo had every right to attack back. Hope Dirk learned his lesson.

God I hate Dirk. Dude is barely literate and is such a tool.

• Fire 1

GMoose....he was asking some straight up dumb questions that barely had any revelance to the game. He was just trying to test Bo and not be a PROFESSIONAL journalist...that's my opinion on the matter....GBR

I agree, it wasn't a terribly important thing to ask at the time. But that's how Dirk operates - sometimes you has to take risks to get to the good stuff. People freak out on him cause Bo doesn't like him, they need to realize he's doing his job. OWH doesn't just go around hiring scrubs.

Making the media and himself the story is not part of his job as a reporter. If he were a columnist that might be different. But he's now the Fox News of Nebraska football reporting. One of the biggest story lines the past two season is how the media likes to piss Bo off and then to chastise him for getting the reaction they were trying to get. Shouldn't the beat reporter actually cover the beat and not be it? I will bet that most everything he does now will be more about making a lot of noise to draw attention to himself and the OWH than covering the team. In the end they be like ... oh yeah we'll throw in a bit of football so it looks like we're trying to cover that objectively. As a former journalist he's embarrassing to me and the exact example of what we were taught not to do.

Someone made the comment about handling Dirk in private. Its been done more than once. And Bo addressing this clown is nothing on the time TO took a guy to task and made him look like a fool.

You know why the story lines are people thinking the story line is how the media tries to piss off Bo just to get his reaction? Because Bo gets pissed off by the media way too easily. Are we just supposed to lob him softballs to keep him happy? Hell no. Do you honestly think the reporters in there want that badly to piss off Bo? Do you how uncomfortable that is as a reporter? I know some think each media member is a cold soulless bastard, but they don't like getting railed like that.

Dirk wasn't out of bounds at all. He's not trying to force the story, he's trying to get what's there with what little insight Bo gives.

It is a sad commentary on the state of the modern fan when a newspaper reporter who has gone out of his way to write incendiary articles gets more defense from Husker fans than our coach and the player the reporter targets.

I'm curious, how many people truly believe that reporters go out of their way to anger/criticize/demean/question/rile/etc. Bo?

It is a sad commentary on the state of the modern fan when a newspaper reporter who has gone out of his way to write incendiary articles gets more defense from Husker fans than our coach and the player the reporter targets.

I'm curious, how many people truly believe that reporters go out of their way to anger/criticize/demean/question/rile/etc. Bo?

Me. It is abundantly clear that Dirk has an agenda, and has had for a couple of years.

You cannot tell me this is even remotely objective journalism, or that Dirk isn't going out of his way to criticize with lines like this:

Let's face it, he doesn't quite fit in here. Not like some players. He's a West Coast introvert and he can't go anywhere without being recognized. He would feel more comfortable somewhere he could blend in.

It is not necessary for Dirk Chatelain to assert that Taylor Martinez does or doesn't fit in at Nebraska. It is not necessary for him to assert that Martinez would feel more comfortable elsewhere. A good journalist wouldn't need to stoop to such theatrics.

He's an idiot, and he doesn't have the common sense to stop when he's put in his place. As long as he continues to write crap like this, I'll continue to denounce him.

You know why the story lines are people thinking the story line is how the media tries to piss off Bo just to get his reaction? Because Bo gets pissed off by the media way too easily. Are we just supposed to lob him softballs to keep him happy? Hell no. Do you honestly think the reporters in there want that badly to piss off Bo? Do you how uncomfortable that is as a reporter? I know some think each media member is a cold soulless bastard, but they don't like getting railed like that.

Dirk wasn't out of bounds at all. He's not trying to force the story, he's trying to get what's there with what little insight Bo gives.

Hi, there's this thing called online advertising. You see, the OWH makes money through page hits. The best way to guarantee page hits is to write inflamatory stories that will spread like wildfire.

That's how writers like Dirk stay employed. You're extremely naive if you don't see this.

• Fire 1

Frankly I was not that thrilled with Bo's response. It's best not to alienate the local media.

What does he do, kiss ass to Dirk until he decides to write another bullsh#t article to get page hits?

As a head coach he needs to take the high road. Defuse the siutation. Move on. If you feel it needs to be addressed do it in private. Personally I don't want to see a spat. I want to hear about the game. The media is the link between the head coach and the outside world. Creating enemies with the media is not wise.

Hey Flatwaterfan-I completely agree with what you stated...I actually said something similar in another post and got lambasted for it. It would have been far better for Bo just to ignore reporters he's upset with than instigate a spat during the post-game press conference of a great comeback.

Any person who's not dumb enough to believe everything the media says as gospel.

No kidding, knapplc, it is absolutely pathetic to see fans defend a reporter who is only trying to distract and disrupt the team rather than the guys who are trying to keep them together and focused. And whoever posted about class, to you I say screw class, and screw the comparisons between TO and Bo. If you want to watch class, but in your tapes of the 80s and 90s football and don't watch Husker football anymore. THEY ARE DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND WILL NEVER EVER BE THE SAME, so quit with the comparisons.

If TO would've lost more games, maybe he wouldn't be compared. But since Bo is a winning coach I guess we think winning coaches have class and Bo doesn't have class, so he's a bad coach. WHAT?!?