3 Weeks To Fix The Defense

Can it be done?

We have a bye this week, and a light scrimmage against the Minnesota Goofers next week. Then in three weeks we start a pretty tough stretch of the schedule. Our defense did make some key stops in the game against OSU, which was great to see. Although it was against a horrible offense which lost Braxton Miller. In no way is the defense "back". Is three weeks enough time to shore up a lot of the problems we've been seeing on the defense this year?

I think we're plenty talented enough, we just don't seem to be playing with good fundamentals. I think Carl hit the nail on the head when he said the guys are overcoached and spend too much time thinking instead of just going out and playing. I'm not talking about reaching '09 level of play in that time. Just enough that we're a respectable defense that doesn't hamstring the offense which seems to be hitting it's stride.

Personally, I don't think their is "fixing". We don't have a rush on the defensive side of the ball. We have one good LB and the secondary is young and has lost it's confidence. I just think this is how the defense is gonna be this year. To me, that is realistic. Things can improve ... yes ... but the reality is that this D is missing parts on the D line and the LB position. I think it's outside of coaching at this point.

I'm not sure the defense improves a lot the rest of the year. I hope it does but I'm not very confident that it will. My hopes are the offense plays well enough to keep us in games.

Ouch!!

Only slightly disagree. Bo has a magic wand that works wonders on defense but this year his spells aren't working (at all). Nevertheless, I gotta believe he'll hack some significant improvement out of them. Probably not a LOT, but there's hope for some I think. Or maybe more accurately saying I just hope he can. He's got three weeks to think of something.

Heh, either way Tim's gonna have his hands full keeping us in games. That's for sure. Our offense has won three games so far this year where our defense got hopelessly torched. Decent chance he's up for it.

GBR!!

The Coaching staff said something this week that I didn't necessarily agree with, but this time will help their cause. I can't remember exactly how it went but the gist of it was that they don't want to simplify things so that the players will get it, they want to make the players learn it. These 2 weeks gives them a little extra time for teaching.

The Coaching staff said something this week that I didn't necessarily agree with, but this time will help their cause. I can't remember exactly how it went but the gist of it was that they don't want to simplify things so that the players will get it, they want to make the players learn it. These 2 weeks gives them a little extra time for teaching.

I heard this too. See, I just want to win games. Remember that hugh Callahan/Watson playbook? Why force something and be stubborn about not modifying during the season?

I'm just glad everyone now thinks the offense is fixed. One half has whitewashed everything.

Well gee, 34 pts vs a top 15 defense can do that sometimes. Imagine that?

It wasnt that they did it. It was how. Ohio St. has problem on offense yes, but their defense is still BCS caliber and in the 4th our guys were literally knocking them all over the field. Rex's run for the lead showed numerous white shirts on the ground. i thought I was watching a Slesinger run against Miami. Dobson needs a raise.