NU vs NEB

WYHusk

That analogy would make sense if Nebraska were the concatenation of two words, 'Ne' and 'Braska', the way NW is the concatenation of "north' and 'western'.

NW is by far the most sensible way -and unique - way to abbreviate Northwestern University. It is the same reason the Southeastern Conference is referred to as the SEC, rather than the SC ;)

So you're still wrong, because by that logic, Northwestern should be NWU, not NW :lol:

Save for a massive public relations campaign you're going to be Neb....It bugs me that the national media refers to Washington as UW, it bothers Carolina fans that the Trojans get USC. It's not always fair but you learn to live

On that note, I'd bet more people in the national media think of Nebraska as NU rather than Northwestern. The Big 10 media obviously doesn't see it that way.

Well we're talking about the BTN as the OP stated. In most of the midwest, which the BTN is primarily designed to serve (though it has a national audience) NU is Northwestern. I really didn't become familiar with the "NU" abbreviation until I started reading this board last year. But hey I understand your frustration. You guys are a much better program with more history. Maybe if you put it on your helmets or uniforms it would change.

They did. From 1967-69.

764935536_160.jpg

Which was also a year before Northwestern debuted "NU" on their helmets. We were there first.

Save for a massive public relations campaign you're going to be Neb....It bugs me that the national media refers to Washington as UW, it bothers Carolina fans that the Trojans get USC. It's not always fair but you learn to live

On that note, I'd bet more people in the national media think of Nebraska as NU rather than Northwestern. The Big 10 media obviously doesn't see it that way.

Well we're talking about the BTN as the OP stated. In most of the midwest, which the BTN is primarily designed to serve (though it has a national audience) NU is Northwestern. I really didn't become familiar with the "NU" abbreviation until I started reading this board last year. But hey I understand your frustration. You guys are a much better program with more history. Maybe if you put it on your helmets or uniforms it would change.

They did. From 1967-69.

764935536_160.jpg

Which was also a year before Northwestern debuted "NU" on their helmets. We were there first.

We were there first, but they donned 'NU' on their helmets for a longer period of time.

I can't believe people are seriously trying to come up with legitimate ways to make sure we are or they aren't NU.

They did. From 1967-69.

764935536_160.jpg

We were there first, but they donned 'NU' on their helmets for a longer period of time.

I can't believe people are seriously trying to come up with legitimate ways to make sure we are or they aren't NU.

It's just time-killing chatter continued from the off-season when some NWU fans were (playfully) asserting they were the "real" NU. Don't get so offended by it.

• Fire 1

Something to talk about since there's no fb for a couple weeks.

I'm sure everyone has noticed how the BTN is calling us NEB, and Northwestern NU. At first I was ticked off about that, because we're the REAL NU, but now, I'm cool with NEB.

I'm from outstate Nebraska originally, Scottsbluff, and honestly the only connection we had with you all back east was the Huskers. The Panhandle is not the Midwest; we have lots more in common with Wyoming and Colorado than Lincoln and Omaha. To me, the Husks represent the whole STATE, not primarily just the university. NEB reflects that more than NU. Especially now that us folks out here in God's country are deprived of even every other year game in Boulder, and the nearest Husk game for us in Lincoln.

In short, I know there's a lot of tradition in NU, but there was a lot of tradition in a lot of things that no more now that we're in the B1G, and I prefer NEB. Anyone else?

Wow, how old are you, I used to get grief for saying that, still do, but very few say it anymore. Rep the old school talk.

Old enough to take pride in being from outstate, and therefore not from the Midwest. :) I ain't no flatlander.

I'm sure everyone has noticed how the BTN is calling us NEB, and Northwestern NU. At first I was ticked off about that, because we're the REAL NU, but now, I'm cool with NEB.

I'm from outstate Nebraska originally, Scottsbluff, and honestly the only connection we had with you all back east was the Huskers. The Panhandle is not the Midwest; we have lots more in common with Wyoming and Colorado than Lincoln and Omaha. To me, the Husks represent the whole STATE, not primarily just the university. NEB reflects that more than NU. Especially now that us folks out here in God's country are deprived of even every other year game in Boulder, and the nearest Husk game for us in Lincoln.

In short, I know there's a lot of tradition in NU, but there was a lot of tradition in a lot of things that no more now that we're in the B1G, and I prefer NEB. Anyone else?

Wow, how old are you, I used to get grief for saying that, still do, but very few say it anymore. Rep the old school talk.

Old enough to take pride in being from outstate, and therefore not from the Midwest. :) I ain't no flatlander.

Old enough to remember when the panhandle wanted to become part of Wyoming? Remember the big sign (for the life of me though I can't remember where it was) that said "Scottsbluff, Wyoming".

Old enough to remember when the panhandle wanted to become part of Wyoming? Remember the big sign (for the life of me though I can't remember where it was) that said "Scottsbluff, Wyoming".

I remember that sign!

Yeah, the secessionist movement last came up in the 80s. If I still lived in the Panhandle, I'd start it up again. But I just did the smart thing, moved into the state itself. :)

Doesn't the panhandle secessionist movement crop up every decade or so? I think it's come up several times.

We'd never let the panhandle go, though. We loooooove you guys. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Awww, ain't that sweet. Wish I could say the love was reciprocated, but folks in the Panhandle don't have much use for you city slickers back east. :) :) :)

Now if we could just get that silly Constitution thingy out of the way, our brethern trapped in Nebraska could join up with us in the promised land here in Wyoming, long as state laws were redone to state that anyone born in that part of New Wyoming had to, by law, be a Husk fan.

Doesn't the panhandle secessionist movement crop up every decade or so? I think it's come up several times.

We'd never let the panhandle go, though. We loooooove you guys. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Awww, ain't that sweet. Wish I could say the love was reciprocated, but folks in the Panhandle don't have much use for you city slickers back east. :) :) :)

Now if we could just get that silly Constitution thingy out of the way, our brethern trapped in Nebraska could join up with us in the promised land here in Wyoming, long as state laws were redone to state that anyone born in that part of New Wyoming had to, by law, be a Husk fan.

Check the batteries on your sarcasm detector there, WYHusk. ;)