Bo and mobile qb's?

It'll be interesting to see how they scheme against Denard Robinson... I would guess they'll mix up the coverages in the secondary a lot, and I bet they actually do let Lavonte spy on Denard a bit...

The Pelini bros might be stubbornly devoted to their scheme (which has generally worked wonders), but I think they also smell blood in the water when they see a QB like Denard Robinson, who frankly makes more bad decisions and errant throws in the passing game than people seem to realize.

Anyways, Michigan is going to have parts of their offense and defense exposed for the first time this week against Michigan State, and the Pelini bros will hopefully go to school on that tape.

Tyrod Taylor and Colt McCoy are two mobile quarterbacks that come to mind that Nebraska embarrassed. Granted it was pretty much Suh against McCoy in 2009, but Nebraska as a whole did an excellent job against Taylor at VaTech holding him to five yards on nine carries. We also did a pretty good job against Locker the first time around in 2010.

In 2008, Tyrod Taylor made us look like a fool. Furthermore, Colt McCoy does not count as a legitimate dual-threat quarterback, he counts as a quarterback that happened to not be too terrible at running when he had to. Locker is the same way, he's fast as balls but he's not a true runner - no shiftiness or moves, just straight-line speed.

We did do a good job against Taylor in 2009 though, so that's one point against and like....50 for, but hey, you've gotta start somewhere!

• Fire 1

It's because he doesn't believe in worrying about the quarterback. Remember last year when he was asked about spying on a qb? (can't remember exact wording) 'what are you talking about? I don't even know what a qb spy is.'

Exactly this. He's too stubborn to use a spy. I remember him saying "no, we don't do that, we're just going to run our defense" when asked if we were going to put a spy on Tyrod Taylor. It may have worked that time, but it's exactly why Denard Robinson is going to run all over us.

Because he's guaranteed to run all over us. I'm glad that you know that already.

If Robinson is healthy, we play defense the way we have been, and we refuse to spy him, then yeah it's about as close to a gaurantee you're going to get in sports.

There are a lot of coordinators that have trouble with mobile QBs. That being said, I have been very disappointed by this defense's inability to either pressure the quarterback or keep him in the pocket.

That's 100% correct. Probably like "all" of them.

That's also probably why Bo is so patient with Tmart. The dude is despised by our haters but opponent DCs hate him a LOT more.

Well, we have a mobile quarterback as well, what do other teams do with us? Load the box. Make him throw the ball. Will we get burnt? Oh yeah, but that's part of the price.

Yeah right, and with soph qb and a Oline that's a major project at work we're 26th in scoring offense & averaging 37 pts a game. If ya happened to notice just a few days ago we totally ripped apart an elite Buckeye defense.

Where people dream up a stacked box automatically stops a run-first offense just mystifies me. TO killed stacked boxes for about 20 years with the option and short to medium PA with "very" marginal qb passers. He also was quoted several times that most of NU's big plays were against stacked boxes (break the LOS and you're.....gone).

But nothing is gonna change your mind. So that's ok.....

GBR!!

It's because he doesn't believe in worrying about the quarterback. Remember last year when he was asked about spying on a qb? (can't remember exact wording) 'what are you talking about? I don't even know what a qb spy is.'

Exactly this. He's too stubborn to use a spy. I remember him saying "no, we don't do that, we're just going to run our defense" when asked if we were going to put a spy on Tyrod Taylor. It may have worked that time, but it's exactly why Denard Robinson is going to run all over us.

Because he's guaranteed to run all over us. I'm glad that you know that already.

If Robinson is healthy, we play defense the way we have been, and we refuse to spy him, then yeah it's about as close to a gaurantee you're going to get in sports.

Well while you're gazing into your crystal ball of college football, mind telling me who's going to win the heisman and the national title? I'd like to make some money on it.

Tyrod Taylor and Colt McCoy are two mobile quarterbacks that come to mind that Nebraska embarrassed. Granted it was pretty much Suh against McCoy in 2009, but Nebraska as a whole did an excellent job against Taylor at VaTech holding him to five yards on nine carries. We also did a pretty good job against Locker the first time around in 2010.

In 2008, Tyrod Taylor made us look like a fool. Furthermore, Colt McCoy does not count as a legitimate dual-threat quarterback, he counts as a quarterback that happened to not be too terrible at running when he had to. Locker is the same way, he's fast as balls but he's not a true runner - no shiftiness or moves, just straight-line speed.

We did do a good job against Taylor in 2009 though, so that's one point against and like....50 for, but hey, you've gotta start somewhere!

I'm countering the idea that Nebraska has not done well against mobile quarterbacks since Pelini has been here, and when you reference the 2009 season my argument is supported, because stopped every dual threat qb we faced. McCoy may not have been your quintessential dual-threat, but he still ran for close to 600 yards that season. We snuffed Taylor in 2009 as well. Two very good mobile quarterbacks.

Yes, we had Suh in '09, but that's not the point of the argument. The argument is that Pelini hasn't done well ever, and 2009 contradicts that.

There are a lot of coordinators that have trouble with mobile QBs. That being said, I have been very disappointed by this defense's inability to either pressure the quarterback or keep him in the pocket.

That's also probably why Bo is so patient with Tmart. The dude is despised by our haters but opponent DCs hate him a LOT more.

Wisconsin's DC didn't hate him a lot more. In fact, they apparently barely paid us any mind. Simplest scheme all year for them.

• Fire 1

do we win the OSU game, if Braxton Miller doesn't get hurt? he killed us with his feet, Robinson will do the same.

Michigan also has nowhere near the defense tOSU has. People seem to forget - tOSU has a bad offense, but their defense has played well this year and I'm pretty sure was ranked in the top 20 coming into the game.

Well while you're gazing into your crystal ball of college football, mind telling me who's going to win the heisman and the national title? I'd like to make some money on it.

It's not a wild prediction. It's a educated guess. There's evidence that Nebraska has had recent struggles with mobile quarterbacks, and lots of evidence. There's evidence Bo doesn't believe in putting a spy on quarterbacks, and lots of evidence (he's even said as much). There's evidence we've played poor defense this season and have a lot of trouble tackling, and lots of evidence. There's evidence Robinson is one of, if not the best running QB in all of college football, and lots of evidence. Sure there's always the slight chance we won't struggle against a healthy Shoelace, but all the evidence points in the other direction. The biggest variable is his health. If he's not healthy that obviously changes everything.

Here's another educated guess: Minnesota is not going to win the national title. No crystal ball required.

do we win the OSU game, if Braxton Miller doesn't get hurt? he killed us with his feet, Robinson will do the same.

It really could have gone either way had he stayed in. Before the injury he seemed to be slipping anyway and I felt like it was only a matter of time till we got and INT out of him. They probably would have scored if he stayed healthy and it would have been down to the wire.

I'm countering the idea that Nebraska has not done well against mobile quarterbacks since Pelini has been here, and when you reference the 2009 season my argument is supported, because stopped every dual threat qb we faced. McCoy may not have been your quintessential dual-threat, but he still ran for close to 600 yards that season. We snuffed Taylor in 2009 as well. Two very good mobile quarterbacks.

Yes, we had Suh in '09, but that's not the point of the argument. The argument is that Pelini hasn't done well ever, and 2009 contradicts that.

I thought the argument was that he hasn't done well consistently, which he hasn't, here or at other places.

I thought the argument was that he hasn't done well consistently, which he hasn't, here or at other places.

It seems like he always has had a tough time with mobile qb's. Not just this year but in the year's past. I wonder why that is? Also, it might be just me but I think bo would be an amazing nfl defensive coordinator because he does pretty well against pro style offenses who dont have a fast qb.

The bolded part is how I took this thread, meaning he hasn't done well ever. "Always" means every time, and that's the word I focused in on.

Wisconsin's DC didn't hate him a lot more. In fact, they apparently barely paid us any mind. Simplest scheme all year for them.

Thanks to T. Beck. He made amends just a couple days ago if you happened to notice.

GBR!!