Sipple: Dirk was wrong

Props to Dirk for apologizing.

He's right when he says that it was the tone where he went wrong. It's happened in a number of articles he's written about Martinez, dating all the way back to just after the Texas game last year. This was simply the one that broke the camel's back, but hopefully with Dirk's apology we can just put the whole issue behind us and start speculating on how the coaches are going to get the defense at a championship level again.

Wait, if everyone can voice their opion and the LJS guys voice it there way then how can some of you be mad at them because its not the way that you want it voiced?

Look, I have no idea if they write a positive spin most of the time. I read the articles to kill time and to read about the Huskers, not to cry and complain about every letter typed out.

I will say this, if that was my job that I was getting paid to do and it was my dream job I would write the stories anyway I could to keep me employed, to get a check, to get better access and so on. Lots of us talk a big game here "I would write this" or "I would tell Bo off" or "I would tell T-mart this and that", no you wouldnt.

You would do pretty much what you do at your jobs now, you would do what you needed to do to keep your checks coming and to get hassled as little as possible at work.

Chatelain: Revisiting critiques of quarterback Martinez

http://www.omaha.com...IGRED/710129793

Can I get a rewind?

Because I can't get the hook out of my mouth, I clicked the link. First thing I noticed - the line:

IN MY OPINION
Column by Dirk Chatelain / World-Herald staff writer

Dirk/the OWH would have saved themselves a lot of grief over the last several days had they added that tagline to several previous articles. I applaud that move. It shows they are listening.

As for the rest of the piece, props. That's what I wanted to see. A simple mea culpa,

Now the nice thing would be for someone at Stadium Drive, preferably Bo, to make a call to Dirk (or take the call if he calls personally) and clear the air. Then they could all move on, and get back to focusing on football.

I thought the Dirk piece was well phrased. It highlighted what we all have questioned: why does Bo seem to have a different level of accountability for some vs. others. I honestly believe that if Pelini gives the media and fans any accountability regarding Shawn Watson for some very suspect play calling (highlight: being in field goal distance to tie B12 title game and calling a 3-5 step drop back pass) then T-Mart gets a bit more of a pass from Dirk. I've never even heard of the scenario Pelini created to offload Watson. Fire the guy.. don't feel sorry for him. Watson has made more at Nebraska then I will make in the next 20 years. Honestly, you can't have the horrific offense we had in 2009 and act like it never happened.

Bo doesn't throw his guys under the bus to save his own ass. Never has, never will.

It wasn't an apology. It was an excuse.

Let's be fair. This is a no-doubt-about-it apology:

Last week I believed that the Ohio State game was a critical juncture for the quarterback and his head coach. If Martinez had played poorly against the Buckeyes, I believed coach Bo Pelini should have considered a change.
Those issues are fair game for columns. But the tone wasn't as I intended. Some of my words were too personal for a college athlete. Too harsh for a 21-year old.
For example, in last Friday's column, I referenced Martinez "pouting" during a press conference. I suggested that he "stop with the 'Woe is me.'" I wrote that negativity in the fan base threatens to "sap his confidence."
For those comments and others like them, I apologize to Martinez.
I had meant to summarize a wild week in Husker football. I meant to reflect fans' thoughts and comments, not to demean the quarterback.

When's the last time you saw a journalist from just about any paper write something like this? It's pretty rare.

I also don't think this is just something he wrote to save his ass. There may be some of that in there (the environment was pretty toxic), but he could have just toughed it out. He didn't have to write this.

I thought the Dirk piece was well phrased. It highlighted what we all have questioned: why does Bo seem to have a different level of accountability for some vs. others. I honestly believe that if Pelini gives the media and fans any accountability regarding Shawn Watson for some very suspect play calling (highlight: being in field goal distance to tie B12 title game and calling a 3-5 step drop back pass) then T-Mart gets a bit more of a pass from Dirk. I've never even heard of the scenario Pelini created to offload Watson. Fire the guy.. don't feel sorry for him. Watson has made more at Nebraska then I will make in the next 20 years. Honestly, you can't have the horrific offense we had in 2009 and act like it never happened.

Bo doesn't throw his guys under the bus to save his own ass. Never has, never will.

There is a difference between throwing somebody under the bus and being open about disappointment. He gives no outlet, no voice, and no consideration for fan frustration. Thus the media takes this roll on.

For all the talk about Spurrier pulling a similar stunt, on most given days, Spurrier is very enjoyable to listen to. The inane questions I believe are due to the media giving up on Bo. They know he won't answer any question they throw at him past a sentence. I actually wish he would send his bro out for post game interviews. Carl is quite a bit more adept with the press.. and very knowledgeable in setting up their video equipment.

The negativity surrounding the program is rather high considering we've only lost 1 game, we've had stellar records regarding off-field issues, and Bo is not considered on the hot seat whatsoever. I pin this negativity squarely on Bo. The things he has done the last 2 seasons has raised quite a few red flags. He is unwilling to discuss any of it in detail, so fans are left little direction if you don't heed to "In Bo we trust". For instance, in a profession that is extremely competitive and high paying at the mid-upper tiers, there is an large amount of nepotism in coaching. So, when Bo hires a golf pro, some guy he grew up with down the street, etc. Its a huge red flag. Not that they may not be good hires (Beck seems to be doing rather well), but it is certainly the type of behavior that gets many many coaches fired (see Callahan).

In a slight off topic, I'm not to worried about him leaving here either. He's coached at enough places to know that the local media is rather kind. He's a winner for sure, but he is certainly a drama queen (no, I probably wouldn't suggest Dirk call Pelini a drama queen).

It wasn't an apology. It was an excuse.

Let's be fair. This is a no-doubt-about-it apology:

Last week I believed that the Ohio State game was a critical juncture for the quarterback and his head coach. If Martinez had played poorly against the Buckeyes, I believed coach Bo Pelini should have considered a change.
Those issues are fair game for columns. But the tone wasn't as I intended. Some of my words were too personal for a college athlete. Too harsh for a 21-year old.
For example, in last Friday's column, I referenced Martinez "pouting" during a press conference. I suggested that he "stop with the 'Woe is me.'" I wrote that negativity in the fan base threatens to "sap his confidence."
For those comments and others like them, I apologize to Martinez.
I had meant to summarize a wild week in Husker football. I meant to reflect fans' thoughts and comments, not to demean the quarterback.

When's the last time you saw a journalist from just about any paper write something like this? It's pretty rare.

I also don't think this is just something he wrote to save his ass. There may be some of that in there (the environment was pretty toxic), but he could have just toughed it out. He didn't have to write this.

"The opinions appeared as I intended. The themes and details appeared as I intended."

Which was: "Martinez played injured last year, there are no other quarterbacks ready to play, therefore Martinez should be benched. "

It's a non-apology. He did have to write this, or he was going to get blackballed.

There is a difference between throwing somebody under the bus and being open about disappointment. He gives no outlet, no voice, and no consideration for fan frustration. Thus the media takes this roll on.

For all the talk about Spurrier pulling a similar stunt, on most given days, Spurrier is very enjoyable to listen to. The inane questions I believe are due to the media giving up on Bo. They know he won't answer any question they throw at him past a sentence. I actually wish he would send his bro out for post game interviews. Carl is quite a bit more adept with the press.. and very knowledgeable in setting up their video equipment.

The negativity surrounding the program is rather high considering we've only lost 1 game, we've had stellar records regarding off-field issues, and Bo is not considered on the hot seat whatsoever. I pin this negativity squarely on Bo. The things he has done the last 2 seasons has raised quite a few red flags. He is unwilling to discuss any of it in detail, so fans are left little direction if you don't heed to "In Bo we trust". For instance, in a profession that is extremely competitive and high paying at the mid-upper tiers, there is an large amount of nepotism in coaching. So, when Bo hires a golf pro, some guy he grew up with down the street, etc. Its a huge red flag. Not that they may not be good hires (Beck seems to be doing rather well), but it is certainly the type of behavior that gets many many coaches fired (see Callahan).

In a slight off topic, I'm not to worried about him leaving here either. He's coached at enough places to know that the local media is rather kind. He's a winner for sure, but he is certainly a drama queen (no, I probably wouldn't suggest Dirk call Pelini a drama queen).

I agree that Bo is horrible at interviews. I think he gets so emotionally jacked during the game, that it takes him time to come down from that. In a crazy game like that, it's even more so. He was jacked in the locker room after the game. IMO, he would be infinitely better if they were held about an hour after the game.

But that doesn't have much to do with him back his guys. I can't think of a single instance of Bo ever dumping on individuals to the media, whether it be coaches or players. That's just not who he is. Is there some nepotism behind it? Probably. But loyalty to your players and coaches speaks volumes to me.

As for not opening up to the media, there are tons of coaches that do that. Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Chip Kelley, and Nick Saban all off the top of my head. You know why they don't get skewered?

Rings.

Because I can't get the hook out of my mouth, I clicked the link. First thing I noticed - the line:

IN MY OPINION

Column by Dirk Chatelain / World-Herald staff writer

First thing I noticed, too. I wonder if they will preface all of Dirk's columns in this manner going forward. Interesting turn in this story.

Gotta commend the guy for taking accountability and acknowledging that he perhaps made a mistake. No one is immune from it. I've always believed that it isn't the mistake that you make, but how you deal with the consequences of that mistake that really matter. In this instance, Dirk has raised his hand and said, "hey, I messed up a little bit and I wish I had done things differently." My respect level for Dirk just rose a few notches.

I still like Dirk's initial article that got this hot mess started. As far as I'm concerned, he was right on the money. It just so happens that Martinez (and Pelini) proved him wrong.

But look at it this way - what if Martinez had another Wiscy-type performance? What if poor decisions and bad turnovers would've cost us the game vs tOSU? Methinks Pelini would've reacted differently at the press conference, and we'd still be up in arms about Martinez' abilities as a Nebraska QB and team leader.

Just sayin' there are several "what ifs" to consider here.

• Fire 1

Fundamentally speaking, I disagree with the premise of this apology mainly because one thing is obvious to me - Dirk was essentially forced to do this.

Do I have a problem with him doing it? No, not really. What I do have a problem with, however, is the lengths to which this issue has been taken. It was an opinion article. Does he really have to say "in my opinion" for people to pick up on the fact that it was an opinion piece? No. That'd be like me saying "I feel like", "In my opinion", "personally,..." at the beginning of every sentence. It's me posting, obviously.

• Fire 1

I like Sip but he is a cop-out.

Dirk is a great reporter and journalist. He shares his opinions.. AN OPINION A LOT OF PEOPLE SHARED BEFORE THE 2ND HALF of the tOSU GAME!

Dirk gets the story and writes what the people think and doesnt kiss the coaching staffs balls. Sipple, and others dont.. they will never write a negative thing because they're scared of the rath of Bo.

People who dont like Dirk are Nebraska homers who need to take off the red colored glasses.

I like Sip but he is a cop-out.

Dirk is a great reporter and journalist. He shares his opinions.. AN OPINION A LOT OF PEOPLE SHARED BEFORE THE 2ND HALF of the tOSU GAME!

Dirk gets the story and writes what the people think and doesnt kiss the coaching staffs balls. Sipple, and others dont.. they will never write a negative thing because they're scared of the rath of Bo.

People who dont like Dirk are Nebraska homers who need to take off the red colored glasses.

For the record, Dirk's been my favorite writer/reporter in any NE publication since our 2009 comeback win over Mizzou. (Following that win, he investigated Watson's statement about Mizzou loading the box against our run and shutting us down, when in reality they weren't loading the box. We just couldn't block and the play-calling hindered our chances to move the ball. And Dirk was right on) Needless to say, I look forward to every one of his articles b/c he gives it to us straight. And his investigative skills are head and shoulders above the rest, which really helps him unearth stuff that's below the surface of the issue at hand.

Dirk's apology, while well-written, was totally unnecessary. He has a job to do, and he's damn good at that job. I realize Bo Pelini has a job to do as well, and he is damn good at his job too. But come on now, Bo. Do you really need to play such childish games? Seriously, what does it say about a program that can't handle the heat of one reporter's criticism of a coach and his quarterback?

I know, I know. Bo is a player's coach, and he will stand up for his players at all costs. Blah blah blah. Grow up, Bo. Or better yet, learn how to deal with the media in a way that doesn't make you come across as such a jackass. Believe it or not, the media plays a big role in major collegiate athletics, especially its cash crop - football. When articles like the one Dirk wrote appear in a major media outlet, take the heat and do something about it on the field. Prove all the naysayers wrong without all the childish (and sometimes threatening) reactions.