Occupy Wall Street

yellow_warning.gif No results found for "damage and arrests to occupy movement".

Apparenly, either your browser isn't working properly, or there is user error.either way the information is out there and easily accessible, whether you want to believe it or not.

I woke up this morning,i don't have an internet link to prove it, but it really did happen.

I honestly thought you were better than that.

Don't gripe at me, gripe at google. Those are the results google gave me to your keyword search.

Verified. Did the exact same search with the exact same results.

I'm going to back up knapplc that he's not doing it wrong. If you search "damage and arrests to occupy movement" verbatim (with quotations) there are zero results and if you search by keywords (without quotations), the top results are all related to arrest. What are OWS protesters being arrested for? Overwhelmingly for curfew violations and public land use laws (e.g. no camping). Rape, arson, and looting, well I think you should be intelligent enough to know that a high percentage of reports are based on hearsay passed around on blogs or purposefully invented, then magically by being cited by someone else becomes credible and newsworthy.

OK, removing the quotes from the keywords helped. Here are the results from my search:

yellow_warning.gif No results found for "damage and arrests to occupy movement".

Results for damage and arrests to occupy movement (without quotes):

Police State Targets Occupy Movement

Boston police arrest 50 from Occupy Boston movement for trespassing

Occupy Boston Protesters Undaunted by Arrests; Plans to Extend Protest into the Winter

Boston arrested a bunch of people for trespassing. Pretty horrible.

Did you know that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was arrested several times as well?

And did you also know, 74, that I can find literally dozens of headlines showing that Tea Partiers have bee arrested, too? I'll be happy to post some examples, if you like.

Where does this get us? Does being arrested automatically make the Occupiers wrong? Did it make Dr. King wrong? Did it make the Tea Partiers wrong?

What does getting arrested mean to you?

Apparenly, either your browser isn't working properly, or there is user error.either way the information is out there and easily accessible, whether you want to believe it or not.

I woke up this morning,i don't have an internet link to prove it, but it really did happen.

I honestly thought you were better than that.

Don't gripe at me, gripe at google. Those are the results google gave me to your keyword search.

Verified. Did the exact same search with the exact same results.

Well apparently you all are doing something wrong...because 74Hunter found stuff, so it there must be something on it. BTW, found nothing as well. There has been tear gas fired at protesters in Oakland, but have read nothing about New York.

Like knapp said, last time there was a major protest, people were killed, crammed into cars in the summer and forced to stay there, sprayed with fire hoses, etc...But we all know who ended up in the wrong in that movement.

Seems like the US government is too worried about protecting its own hind end than protecting its people. God Bless the USA...or God Bless those living in the USA who can bribe and force their ways out of crimes and predicaments than those who do the exact same things, but not the means of the other people

This might be hurtful . . . but I don't care if you take me seriously. I'm a registered independent who might end up being pushed into the Democratic party by the Bagger craziness that has infected the GOP. Not ready to take that step yet but I do wish that I could vote in a primary. No doubt which party I would pick if I were forced to make that decision today. Not sure how that is disingenuous but I suppose people will see what they want to see.

You can vote in a primary as an Independent. In fact, you have more choices as an Independent in a primary, because you can choose to vote on an "Independent - Republican" ballot, "Independent - Democrat" ballot or an "Independent - no party affiliation" ballot. Don't skip the primaries just because you're an Independent. In Nebraska, you can still vote. You just can't vote both ways.

In response to Knapp saying that these ows aren't hurting anything, well if they were peacably assembling, I would agree. However, there have been hundreds of arrests of these protesters, including arrests on charges of rape. Add to that the littering and destruction of property, and the costs of policing, they have been hurting all of us.

I haven't heard of such destruction by tea partiers, not on that scale, at least.

By the way, I would love a response to the point I've brought up - several times now - about being arrested and the whole concept that the Occupiers aren't being peaceful.

How do you explain the fact that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. never raised his hand against anyone, and his marchers didn't either, and yet were arrested by the thousands? Dr. King himself was arrested several times. Being arrested doesn't mean you're in the wrong (necessarily). Sometimes it means you're advocating change that conservatives find abhorrent. We all know there are plenty of corrupt officials out there who will, without any hesitation, send the police out to arrest otherwise peaceful protestors.

Case in point:

Commander Who Pepper-Sprayed Protesters Faces Disciplinary Charge

If you don't know about this, 74hunter, I strongly urge you to read up on it.

This might be hurtful . . . but I don't care if you take me seriously. I'm a registered independent who might end up being pushed into the Democratic party by the Bagger craziness that has infected the GOP. Not ready to take that step yet but I do wish that I could vote in a primary. No doubt which party I would pick if I were forced to make that decision today. Not sure how that is disingenuous but I suppose people will see what they want to see.

You can vote in a primary as an Independent. In fact, you have more choices as an Independent in a primary, because you can choose to vote on an "Independent - Republican" ballot, "Independent - Democrat" ballot or an "Independent - no party affiliation" ballot. Don't skip the primaries just because you're an Independent. In Nebraska, you can still vote. You just can't vote both ways.

I was thinking about when my fiance got to attend the presidential caucus in 2008. Perhaps you can attend that as an independent as well but I believe that it was for party voters only. I spend a ton of time following politics but I don't know the local nuts and bolts of elections.

I don't think Americans are willing to take up arms against each other at this point. You sure do have those people who are armed and willing, but they're very much in the minority. I don't think most people see the need to actually revolt - or secede - but they will, I think, allow their republic to crumble around them while they sit in their armchair.

You need to drop down to Texas some weekend...

Yeah, but I was talking about Americans, not Texans. ^_^

Ah, gotcha. There certainly is a difference...

I'd like to spare anyone the effort of finding litterers, defacators and rapists among the OWS protesters because I have absolutely no doubt you can find someone who did something terrible, and it will remain the cowardly way to discredit millions of people with incredibly legitimate reason to link arms and force the issue.

I'm also happy to concede that not everyone who supports the Tea Party marches around with horribly racist signs fraught with misspellings, though those are pretty easy to Google.

It's a huge uphill battle for major manufacturing, but borrowing the "locavore" movement from the food and restaurant industry, there is a model for making things on an extremely local level, as opposed to merely being Made in the U.S.A.. Reduced transportation and storage costs, local employment, local pride and superior products make it easier to swallow a modestly higher price.

You also deal with people who truly believe in both the product and the philosophy. They are business people and free market entrepreneurs who are happy to be well-compensated, but do not feel the need to be insanely well-compensated, nor to make a bunch of fickle short term shareholders rich.

You can like money, capitalism and America and still hate the short-sighted greed of our unregulated Wall Street "jobs providers."

A key to trying to bring back 'Made in USA' is to get back to old school quality. People will happily pay a little more for something if it will last. But in many things Made in USA and quality have not gone hand in hand for a long time. Companies want repeat business now, instead of building such a better product that it doesn't need to be replaced in short order.

Manufacturing jobs will not return until the loaded hourly cost here is reduced to near that of third world nations.

There are things that can be done to bring our cost down other than reducing wages, such as:

- Single Payer health care.

- A TARP fund to absorb previously promised benefits to retired workers.

- Ending tax benefits for profits earned overseas.

- Subsidies for mfg job creation... will will pay themselves back many times over.

- Gov't investment in new technologies.

Regarding quality, it will only be as good as a the consumer is willing to pay a premium for.

In response to Knapp saying that these ows aren't hurting anything, well if they were peacably assembling, I would agree. However, there have been hundreds of arrests of these protesters, including arrests on charges of rape. Add to that the littering and destruction of property, and the costs of policing, they have been hurting all of us.

I haven't heard of such destruction by tea partiers, not on that scale, at least.

By the way, I would love a response to the point I've brought up - several times now - about being arrested and the whole concept that the Occupiers aren't being peaceful.

How do you explain the fact that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. never raised his hand against anyone, and his marchers didn't either, and yet were arrested by the thousands? Dr. King himself was arrested several times. Being arrested doesn't mean you're in the wrong (necessarily). Sometimes it means you're advocating change that conservatives find abhorrent. We all know there are plenty of corrupt officials out there who will, without any hesitation, send the police out to arrest otherwise peaceful protestors.

Case in point:

Commander Who Pepper-Sprayed Protesters Faces Disciplinary Charge

If you don't know about this, 74hunter, I strongly urge you to read up on it.

http://www.google.co...w.,cf.osb&cad=b

Wow, that was difficult. There are dozens of stories of numerous arrests. On October 23, this one stated that over 2400 people had been arrested and had caused over $3 million in damage, it even had a twitter page that documented the amount of arrests.

"Oct 23, 2011 – Total arrests now up to over 2400, according to @OccupyArrests tonight. ... liberal Democrats – say they support the Occupy Wall Street movement. .... type of bomb could have caused a lot more damage if certain things were ..."

http://www.thenation...requent-updates

Comparing the OWS to Dr. King and his movement is apples to oranges, and if you cannot see the obvious difference, I am wasting my time.

I'm sure they have been arrested for nothing at all #sarcasm. Destruction of property, disorderly conduct, and littering (I'm assuming that these are what most arrests are for) are punishable offenses in most locales. If they want to get arrested, that’s their deal, I really don’t care, except that their actions are causing police to have to expend their efforts keeping these people in check, as opposed to fighting crime. It is wasting taxpayer dollars.

I think that these people make some good points, but I am kind of baffled that they feel that people who are working and actually EARNING their own money are greedy, yet not working and asking for a handout isn’t.

Yeah, sure, blame the Tea Party for your possible shift in philosophy. If you are that weak in your convictions, it speaks of your character.

BTW, if there is no internet link to it, it doesn't exist, but if there is it must be true:

MANBEARPIG.png

http://www.gravy.cc/.../MANBEARPIG.png

Yeah, sure, blame the Tea Party for your possible shift in philosophy. If you are that weak in your convictions, it speaks of your character.

Not the Tea Party per se, but the whole direction of the party. My convictions didn't change; the GOP changed. A party that rejects anyone who approaches moderation has no place for me. The GOP is no longer the party of Lincoln . . . hell . . . for that matter they are no longer the party of Reagan. They are the party of Palin/Perry/Cain/Limbaugh. Is there any wonder why the GOP will be tailing off with the deaths of the boomers?

Enjoy your GOP extremism and personal attacks.

• Fire 1

Dr. King and his protestors were assembling peacefully and were beaten, arrested and prosecuted by the police because the police disagreed with their agenda - NOT because they had broken a law. There is a direct parallel between Dr. King's movement and this movement, and it's not even a leap in logic. Two groups of peaceful protestors rousted by the cops. This isn't a situation of "I can't see the parallel," it's clearly, "I don't want to see the parallel." Remove your head from the sand and see what's really going on.

74, are you even bothering to read the articles in your google results? You should. They paint a FAR different picture than the one you're peddling.

From the very first results your google:

Who's going too far: Occupy protestors or the police?

Discussion of the police being the aggressors for little or no reason.

Scott Olsen 'cannot talk' after injury at Occupy Oakland protest

Oaktown cops injure an Iraqi war vet who had committed no known crime - he was simply assembling peacefully, using the rights granted to him under the First Amendment. Now he has a brain injury. His fault?

Occupy movement could be damaged by violent clashes

"Most Occupy gatherings have been peaceful, and protesters have developed good working relationships with the police. Most disputes have been over logistical issues like garbage and drumming."

Judge tells Tennessee to stop arresting Occupy protesters

"Political expression deserves the highest level of protection and it was unacceptable for the state to suddenly shut down protesters' speech and forcibly oust them from Legislative Plaza that has long been used as a place for peaceful expression," said Hedy Weinberg, executive director at the ACLU of Tennessee.

pixel.gif

"The state conceded that the temporary restraining order should be issued and we hope that this is the first step (that) the state is recommitting itself to safeguarding -- not thwarting -- public political expression," she added.

You should stop assuming what these arrests are for and actually find out what's actually happening. Otherwise you are wasting your time.