Diagnose the Defense

Maybe it's just me, but this year's defense seems to lack that killer instinct we've seen in years past. All I want to see is 11 defenders getting after it on every down. Swarm to the ball and attack the ball carrier, it's that simple. Unfortunately I don't know if a "killer instinct" can be taught. There are only 2 guys I can tell bring it with every snap - David and Dennard - so let's hope the rest feed off the fire they bring on every tackle and every forced turnover.

Maybe it's just me, but this year's defense seems to lack that killer instinct we've seen in years past. All I want to see is 11 defenders getting after it on every down. Swarm to the ball and attack the ball carrier, it's that simple. Unfortunately I don't know if a "killer instinct" can be taught. There are only 2 guys I can tell bring it with every snap - David and Dennard - so let's hope the rest feed off the fire they bring on every tackle and every forced turnover.

I agree here. It's amazing how seldom we see a play where we have multiple (more than two or three) players swarming to the ball. I agree with most of what's been said, we have to attack more on D. Last year we could sit back and wait because of our stellar secondary, evenutally, someone would get to the QB, but now, with that amount of time, most D1 QB's are going to complete those throws to open receivers (thank you Bauserman for not being one of those).

The problem I see is that when we do bring extra pressure we delay it and start so far back from the line of scrimmage that our guys aren't getting there in time. Plus when Fischer and Compton blitz, they just don't seem fast enough to get there at any time. I really believe we need to bring the pressure immediately, and and our ends have to try to contain the pocket to keep that QB is position where we can make a play on him.

The one thing I forgot to mention is that with this new style , you need good linebackers, of which, we have none.

Huh? Well, I think David is terrific but to each their own.

GBR!!

I like David don't get me wrong, but he seems lost out there. Before they would let him attack and now, it appears they want the play to come to him and he misses the tackle. STATS: 1 interception, 58 tackles 2 sacks although he seems to be picking it up now.

although our special teams haven't been stellar the last few year either. The one thing I forgot to mention is that with this new style , you need good linebackers, of which, we have none.

Huh did you watch any husker games. Our Special Team's have been great. Did you forget about Alex Henery & Eric Martin. Niles Paul made me cringe when he was the PR, but I would put that on Papuchis. Niles just struggled making routine catches. This year has been even better. Solid kicking game, great return game & I think we have been above average in coverage.

lets look at the STATS: N Kick returns 24-692 Opp 29-663, Punts N 12-132 Opp 11-171, Average Kick/Punts yards N 28.8 and 11.0 Opp 22.9 and 15.5

It would appear we average. We have skilled players, but the core of the play, lane assignment is lacking. Although Maher and Ameer are doing great jobs, that is only half the play.

I agree here. It's amazing how seldom we see a play where we have multiple (more than two or three) players swarming to the ball. I agree with most of what's been said, we have to attack more on D. Last year we could sit back and wait because of our stellar secondary, evenutally, someone would get to the QB, but now, with that amount of time, most D1 QB's are going to complete those throws to open receivers (thank you Bauserman for not being one of those).

The problem I see is that when we do bring extra pressure we delay it and start so far back from the line of scrimmage that our guys aren't getting there in time. Plus when Fischer and Compton blitz, they just don't seem fast enough to get there at any time. I really believe we need to bring the pressure immediately, and and our ends have to try to contain the pocket to keep that QB is position where we can make a play on him.

Forgot to mention this - but does it bother anyone else that Fisher has absolutely no ability when it comes to tackling? The only time he can take someone down like a big boy all by himself is when they've tweaked an ankle before getting to him. Otherwise he just slips right off and gets a healthy dose of cleats and dust as the runner makes his way up field. Of course this is most unfortunate since Fisher is often times the lone LB in position to make a tackle (I'd say approx 10-12 times per game). He'd probably rank up there with David as one of the team's leading tacklers IF he had the strength to actually take opponents down. When you're an LB, you gotta have brute to go with the brains.

Fisher absolutely wears me out!!! you are right espy!!! Fisher has missed so many tackles it's unbelievable he is still out there. Him and compton remind me of Barrett Ruud during that colorado debacle few years back. Just break down and wrap up. I watched LSU the other day play florida. I am in no way comparing the two...but sweet jesus! do they fly to the ball and tackle! We are not fundamentally sound.

If anyone has the Ohio State game on tape.......watch it again and pay special attention to No. 98 (DE). Horrible! (Bill Walton voice)

Team Killer Instinct.

You can design schemes and make spot decisions to blitz, but when so many members of the same defense ignore basic tackling technique at the same time, the entire defense is instantly less fearsome.

Even good defenses can get the yips at the same time, like last years' D against Texas and even Iowa State. But they could turn around and deliver a shutdown game the next week. This defense hasn't even had a taste of success. They've gotten used to being on their heels.

Inexperience is part of it, but one of the coaches -- and it should be the head coach -- needs to get everyone's head in the game. They know how to tackle, but they play standing straight up. And hey, they're not that inexperienced. The D line was ranked one of the best in the nation, and the Pelini's talked about a deep roster of young talent they wanted to get on the field. Let's face it -- none of us, nor anyone in the sports media expected something like this.

I haven't been privy to the sidelines other than what the network lets me see, but a sideline reporter noted an odd lack of fire among the defense when they were off the field. No player stepping up or being pissed off at their poor performance. This is a chemistry issue.

Where is Courtney Osborne these days? I just checked Huskers.com, and apparently he's played in only 4 of our 6 games (1 start) for a total of 6 tackles. Dude was all over the highlight reels last year, so why aren't we seeing that this year?

Where is Courtney Osborne these days? I just checked Huskers.com, and apparently he's played in only 4 of our 6 games (1 start) for a total of 6 tackles. Dude was all over the highlight reels last year, so why aren't we seeing that this year?

He pissed in someones wheaties and is paying the price for it.

The one thing I forgot to mention is that with this new style , you need good linebackers, of which, we have none.

GBR!!

I like David don't get me wrong, but he seems lost out there. Before they would let him attack and now, it appears they want the play to come to him and he misses the tackle. STATS: 1 interception, 58 tackles 2 sacks although he seems to be picking it up now.

although our special teams haven't been stellar the last few year either. The one thing I forgot to mention is that with this new style , you need good linebackers, of which, we have none.

Huh did you watch any husker games. Our Special Team's have been great. Did you forget about Alex Henery & Eric Martin. Niles Paul made me cringe when he was the PR, but I would put that on Papuchis. Niles just struggled making routine catches. This year has been even better. Solid kicking game, great return game & I think we have been above average in coverage.

lets look at the STATS: N Kick returns 24-692 Opp 29-663, Punts N 12-132 Opp 11-171, Average Kick/Punts yards N 28.8 and 11.0 Opp 22.9 and 15.5

It would appear we average. We have skilled players, but the core of the play, lane assignment is lacking. Although Maher and Ameer are doing great jobs, that is only half the play.

First of all stats in special team are worthless for the most part. You have also cherry picked stats & have only looked at this yrs stats. How many blocked kicks or punts have there been since Papuchis has been here? The answer is 0 punts & 1 field goal. How many times have we blocked an extra point or field goal? Adi Kunalic had 125 kickoff touchbacks in 306 trys, that is a pretty amazing stat if you look it up. As for this yr do you remember the Washington game. We kicked off & recoverd a fumble on the one & followed it up on the next kickoff with Eric Martin leveling the returner at the 20yd line.

Here is a qoute from Husker.com

"Nebraska has also owned one of the nation’s top special teams units the past three seasons under Papuchis. In 2009, the Huskers’ kickoff and punt return units both ranked in the top 30 nationally, while All-Big 12 punter and place-kicker Alex Henery had an NU record 24 field goals, while also placing a Big 12-leading 30 punts inside the opponent 20-yard line. The Huskers also ranked in the top 15 nationally in kickoff return defense and third in touchbacks."

You can say what you want but I wouldn't trade or Special Teams for anyone else's.

GBR!!

First of all stats in special team are worthless for the most part. You have also cherry picked stats & have only looked at this yrs stats. How many blocked kicks or punts have there been since Papuchis has been here? The answer is 0 punts & 1 field goal. How many times have we blocked an extra point or field goal? Adi Kunalic had 125 kickoff touchbacks in 306 trys, that is a pretty amazing stat if you look it up. As for this yr do you remember the Washington game. We kicked off & recoverd a fumble on the one & followed it up on the next kickoff with Eric Martin leveling the returner at the 20yd line.

Here is a qoute from Husker.com

"Nebraska has also owned one of the nation’s top special teams units the past three seasons under Papuchis. In 2009, the Huskers’ kickoff and punt return units both ranked in the top 30 nationally, while All-Big 12 punter and place-kicker Alex Henery had an NU record 24 field goals, while also placing a Big 12-leading 30 punts inside the opponent 20-yard line. The Huskers also ranked in the top 15 nationally in kickoff return defense and third in touchbacks."

You can say what you want but I wouldn't trade or Special Teams for anyone else's.

I didn't cherry pick the stats. If you read my post you should have determined that I was referring to the kick coverage, therefore, backing it up with those statistics. I am in no way taking anything away from the feats of Alex and Adi, their kicking was "money". Now I will finish with one last statistic, that being the most important. Going into the Ohio St game, Nebraska was yielding 15.6 yards per return. That is good enough to land them at 114th and in my opinion, not a stellar effort.

^

That is punt return only. That stat can be skewed. You have to look at how many times they called for a fair catch. A fair catch counts as a 0 yard return. I read your statement It said.

"I for one am not sold on this guy yet or Raymond, but Papuchis has been here longer, and appears to be a good recruiter, although our special teams haven't been stellar the last few year either"

I don't see your mention of kick coverage only. Also your last stat had to do with the return game not kick coverage. You made a statement that our special teams have not been stellar & overall they have been since Papuchis has been here. I will say tackling has not been a strong suit, but that problem is also being seen in the defense. I left the offense out because their tackling has unfortunately been phenomenal.