ESPN's B1G blog is awful

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/36052/take-two-big-tens-best-running-back

I am dumbfounded by Bennett's logic on this one: Ball and Burkhead have the same amount of carries, but because Ball would have more carries if he were in the game for 4 quarters he is the better running back. Umm.. Burkhead would have more carries if Martinez pitched the ball more. Ball is running behind the best line in the country, could you imagine what Burkhead would do with that line?

Wisconsin is also becoming my least favorite team.. I like the team itself, but the fans that post to national blogs certainly act like they're new to big boy football league.

It's not that he chose Ball. It's the logic that he used to do so. It's also a reoccuring theme: they take opposing views on a matter just to have opposing views, not because there is a good argument. I agree, Ball is good.. but a 5th grader can come up with a better argument than that.

The only worthwile ESPN blogger I have seen was the guy Ubben replaced (from some San Antonio paper).

Yep, I knew we were in trouble with Bennett when he touted the SEC over B1G in his B1G recap on a day that Auburn more or less lost to Utah St. I'm not saying that B1G is comparable, but he used the Alabama-Penn St. victory as it's sole evidence. By his logic, if Wisconsin beats a mid level SEC team: B1G wins the conference battle!

http://espn.go.com/b...st-running-back

I am dumbfounded by Bennett's logic on this one: Ball and Burkhead have the same amount of carries, but because Ball would have more carries if he were in the game for 4 quarters he is the better running back. Umm.. Burkhead would have more carries if Martinez pitched the ball more. Ball is running behind the best line in the country, could you imagine what Burkhead would do with that line?

Wisconsin is also becoming my least favorite team.. I like the team itself, but the fans that post to national blogs certainly act like they're new to big boy football league.

And Ball would get more carries if he didn't share carries with White, so the argument goes both ways.

And Ball would get more carries if he didn't share carries with White, so the argument goes both ways.

Exactly, its a bogus argument. You have two backs that have carried the same amount of times.. how does splitting reps have anything to do with what they accomplished on the given reps, and what they would accomplish if given more?

I think the biggest problem with Bennett's argument is the split carrying point and the Wilson/Martinez comparison. Both guys have exactly the same amount of carries, and both guys have split the carries with other players. So...well...DUH Bennett. They both split carries so why did you even bring up this point?

Second...I think having Wilson as a quarterback does a lot more for your running back than having Martinez. I truthfully don't understand how loading the box to stop Martinez frees up running lanes for Burkhead.

I think Ball is better than Burkhead, but Rittenberg makes another couple of good points. Wisconsin's o-line is better and they haven't faced as good of defenses as Nebraska has (including Wisconsin's).

OP, the blog doesn't suck, and Bennett doesn't either. The only reason Bennett doesn't do as well as Rittenberg in this argument is because he utilizes a pointless split-carry argument and thinks that running quarterbacks make running the football easier.

Edit - Meant to say Ball is better than Burkhead.

I think the biggest problem with Bennett's argument is the split carrying point and the Wilson/Martinez comparison. Both guys have exactly the same amount of carries, and both guys have split the carries with other players. So...well...DUH Bennett. They both split carries so why did you even bring up this point?

Second...I think having Wilson as a quarterback does a lot more for your running back than having Martinez. I truthfully don't understand how loading the box to stop Martinez frees up running lanes for Burkhead.

I think Ball is better than Martinez, but Rittenberg makes another couple of good points. Wisconsin's o-line is better and they haven't faced as good of defenses as Nebraska has (including Wisconsin's).

OP, the blog doesn't suck, and Bennett doesn't either. The only reason Bennett doesn't do as well as Rittenberg in this argument is because he utilizes a pointless split-carry argument and thinks that running quarterbacks make running the football easier.

Your right, it doesn't suck as long as they stick to their lunchtime links. I agree that Rittenberg may be ok, but Bennett.. oh yes, he sucks.

Heard that what they do is take a topic that has two opposing viewpoints and then make a case for each. Rittenburg has said during one of his weakly chats that he thinks Ball is a better RB, but I think in that same breath that Burkhead was a close 2. Don't need to get all in a twist for someone stating their opinions, even if they present a weak argument. And really, I think the worst part of the argument was him pointing out that Ball was a better all-around back and bringing up the fact that he passed for a TD this past week.

Heard that what they do is take a topic that has two opposing viewpoints and then make a case for each. Rittenburg has said during one of his weakly chats that he thinks Ball is a better RB, but I think in that same breath that Burkhead was a close 2. Don't need to get all in a twist for someone stating their opinions, even if they present a weak argument. And really, I think the worst part of the argument was him pointing out that Ball was a better all-around back and bringing up the fact that he passed for a TD this past week.

Ball probably has a slightly better skill set (slightly more athletic) to be a better NFL running back, BUT Rex is definitely more versatile. There are just so many ways that he can get on the field, I.e. Wildcat(making QB decisions), PR, KR (haven't seen much of him there but he could do so if needed), and could line up in the slot. His attention to detail is phenomenal and he picked up Watson's offense as a frosh very quickly. If Rex is behind Ball the margin is very slim...has it been mentioned that Ball plays.behind an NFL O LINE?