New starting corner...

Saunders

.... but methinks he's gonna be a great playmaker for us.

And I don't care if it was one time out of how many..but the kid actually turned his head towards an incoming ball. Here's to hoping SJB will be a steady player on the edges.

Good point. He actually looked for the damn ball! When was the last time we've seen that consistently?

THESE! I just don't see how anyone can be a DIV. 1 corner and not look for the ball. Something so simple that I know I was taught back in junior leagues. But anyway good for Stanley hope he can continue to prove himself.

I think it does say something about Raymond and the under performance of the DBs. This move may pay dividends eventually, but it kinda reminds me of Cody Glenn's move to LB when Bo got here. He was decent, but it spoke more about the state of our LB depth than about him as a standout player. It smells like a bit of desperation, but why not? The unit can't perform much worse, can they?

Boom! Great analogy. It's at the same time great (for Stanley) and terrifying (where's our depth!?!?!?) that he's moved and succeeded so quickly.

Still...... he's just had one game. And really one great play. Let's hope that wasn't a mirage, or beginner's luck. He also had a personal foul against the Buckeyes. We just gotta hope that his future is as bright as this move makes it look.

I think this says something about Raymond and his style as opposed to Sanders. SJB is the only guy not polluted with all the gibberish in Spring and Fall camps. He is literally a blank slate and is probably being given some very basic assignments to let his athleticism shine. I hope he is very successful and becomes comfortable out there in a whole game scenario.

Ciante showed flashes last year, and now looks completely lost rather than making a leap forward. I am sure Coach Raymond is a great coach, but hopefully he is able to identify a way to make everything click for these guys.

Just so I understand. SJB is so much better because Raymond hasn't ruined him? Yet Fonzo still looks pretty damn good minus his injury. Why hasn't Raymond ruined him? I'm sure its because he learned everything under Sanders....right? Well our other DB's who are struggling have spent more time under Sanders than Raymond so isn't it really Marvin's fault these guys aren't further along in the learning of the defensive scheme? I mean that's all anyone give Sanders credit for is teaching the defense, because he didn't recruit and he teach technique. At least he could have taught them the scheme. Come on people it can't be both ways a guy can't be good so its the coach before success and if a guy struggles all the new guys fault.

Watch the film. Most of the guys having issues are undersized. They've been blocked out of bounds on running plays like grade schoolers, and when they try to make tackles they've struggled because the other guys are bigger. Yes there have been some scheme issues as well as technique things but as much of that has been about the change in coverages and responsibilities in our three LB sets. Remember we changed defense this year. Both the new coaches and the players have struggled some in teaching and learning. Its a little bit of everything adding up here. And personally the D-line isn't helping those guys either. This is an across the board type of thing that the DB's are getting blamed for. Its like when you build a house. If the foundation is off and out of square then the studs and walls appear more off and then the cabinets and counters look like a disaster. That's what we have going on here too.

Thankfully it looks like the last two weeks we went back and tried to square up the foundation and make things more simple. This should help.

• Fire 1

Congrats Stanley...! Most likely scenario is that Stanley didnt have to unlearn techniques from the old admin pos coach. Hence he came to the position a blank slate and CR was able to coach him into the lineup.

Matters not to me, if he is a success, than it proves that CR has a coaching point of view that works just as well or better than the previous skill sets emphasized.

Just so I understand. SJB is so much better because Raymond hasn't ruined him? Yet Fonzo still looks pretty damn good minus his injury. Why hasn't Raymond ruined him? I'm sure its because he learned everything under Sanders....right? Well our other DB's who are struggling have spent more time under Sanders than Raymond so isn't it really Marvin's fault these guys aren't further along in the learning of the defensive scheme? I mean that's all anyone give Sanders credit for is teaching the defense, because he didn't recruit and he teach technique. At least he could have taught them the scheme. Come on people it can't be both ways a guy can't be good so its the coach before success and if a guy struggles all the new guys fault.

Watch the film. Most of the guys having issues are undersized. They've been blocked out of bounds on running plays like grade schoolers, and when they try to make tackles they've struggled because the other guys are bigger. Yes there have been some scheme issues as well as technique things but as much of that has been about the change in coverages and responsibilities in our three LB sets. Remember we changed defense this year. Both the new coaches and the players have struggled some in teaching and learning. Its a little bit of everything adding up here. And personally the D-line isn't helping those guys either. This is an across the board type of thing that the DB's are getting blamed for. Its like when you build a house. If the foundation is off and out of square then the studs and walls appear more off and then the cabinets and counters look like a disaster. That's what we have going on here too.

Thankfully it looks like the last two weeks we went back and tried to square up the foundation and make things more simple. This should help.

My thoughts exactly.

You couldn't have been more dead on about the deficiencies of this defense over the summer, btw. We were all touting our "3 stars at every level" defense, and you were the lone voice saying that we'd have problems. I particularly remember you talking about the defensive line, again a perceived strength prior to the opening game, and thinking "well, I hope he's wrong."

You weren't, though. You were spot on.

I didn't get to watch the game. How'd he do?

He did well.

Take it with a slight grain of salt. His first real test will be next week. Kirk Cousins>>>>>>>>>>>>>Marquise Gray as a thrower. That will be a huge test for him. Especially when matched up on Cunningham.

However, for the day he stayed within the means of the defense, made some nice open field tackles, didn't get beat, no stupid penalties. So it was a success, but next week will answer a lot of questions.

I think it does say something about Raymond and the under performance of the DBs. This move may pay dividends eventually, but it kinda reminds me of Cody Glenn's move to LB when Bo got here. He was decent, but it spoke more about the state of our LB depth than about him as a standout player. It smells like a bit of desperation, but why not? The unit can't perform much worse, can they?

Boom! Great analogy. It's at the same time great (for Stanley) and terrifying (where's our depth!?!?!?) that he's moved and succeeded so quickly.

Still...... he's just had one game. And really one great play. Let's hope that wasn't a mirage, or beginner's luck. He also had a personal foul against the Buckeyes. We just gotta hope that his future is as bright as this move makes it look.

I think this says something about Raymond and his style as opposed to Sanders. SJB is the only guy not polluted with all the gibberish in Spring and Fall camps. He is literally a blank slate and is probably being given some very basic assignments to let his athleticism shine. I hope he is very successful and becomes comfortable out there in a whole game scenario.

Ciante showed flashes last year, and now looks completely lost rather than making a leap forward. I am sure Coach Raymond is a great coach, but hopefully he is able to identify a way to make everything click for these guys.

Perhaps that didn't come off as intended. I think there is a disconnect between what Raymond has been putting down and what the defensive backs have been picking up. Not saying Sanders was God and Raymond sucks, but the players don't seem to be on the same page yet, even the guys that played regularly last year. SJB is the only guy who didn't know anything of what Sanders was teaching, and has just begun to learn the way Raymond teaches.

I agree with you that the defensive line not being able to get pressure has been a huge disappointment and concern up to this point and only exaggerates what is happening with a struggling, young secondary. Hopefully as the secondary gets more comfortable, it will give the line more time to get after QB's. I am optimistic, but not foolishly optimistic to think this defense will be better than last year, but I think they can play much better than they have.