Urban Mayer singing the praises of ...

T_O_Bull

hey OP, you obviously dont watch much CFB. Did you see what Miami did to the triple option today? 2.8 yards per rush for GT and only scored 7 points. It doest work against decent defenses.

Great point. That's why NU's Frost, Frazier, Gill & Crouch always got stuffed.

Its a different game now.. There is a reason why no teams run it anymore. BTW, GT hasnt beat any great teams with that offense and its also pretty sad youre bringing up a team from 28 years ago.

I think GT does well for the players they recruit. So far this year all they have is 3 star recruits, not a single 4 star. They are not a top ten recruiting school and probably never will be but they do very well with what they get. If a top ten or twenty recruiting school were to run this type of offense I believe Urban Meyer is correct and that it would be extremely difficult to defend.

Bingo.

Give GT top 10 to 20 talent & they steamroll people.

No top recruits want to play in that sytem, its common sense.

I guess we're just debating semantics. I've never read even one single poster state TO "only" ran the option so I understand that.

Nor have I. The prominent albeit mundane discrepancy is that people referred to us as an "option" team, which isn't accurate. Again, semantics, but I still believe it's an important differentiation.

Its a different game now.. There is a reason why no teams run it anymore. BTW, GT hasnt beat any great teams with that offense and its also pretty sad youre bringing up a team from 28 years ago.

People said it was a "different game" in the 90's, too.

You're not unlike many people before you and those who will come after you. People think a run game can't work anymore, but the truth of the matter is that nobody does it. GT does it but they don't get near the recruits, they don't have the coaching, and their system is too straight forward to beat top tier teams with it consistently. Perhaps you weren't around in the 90's, and even I'll admit I was only a kid at the time, but people consistently ripped T.O. for the offense he ran and we were constantly viewed as a lesser program thanks to ESPN and all those other glorified analysts.

Then what would we do? We'd go out and embarrass a team that should have been equal to or greater than our own according to the "experts".

Anybody who thinks a run based offense can't work today has purely bought into the glorified hype that is college football today.

• Fire 1

The option game went hand in hand with Osborne's offense. The option was to spread the defense along the line & then he used the FB's & the RB's to plow thru the middle. Osborne's offense needed both the power run & the option to be successful. People always remember the long runs from the option, but the power runs with the FB's & RB's made those long runs available. All I can say is watch Cory Schlesinger in the 1994 National Championship Game. I think sometimes people confuse Solich's offense with Osborne's. They were very similar, but Solich ran a lot more option then Osborne did.

Personally, I think pro style is the way to go, much like Stanford does. That type of offense is something you can take and move the ball on any team you go up against. We are pretty close to pro-style right now, with a few wrinkles as well as a non-throwing QB, but I definitely like where we are at.

The problem with triple option offense is you usually have a QB who has ZERO arm and are pretty easy to gameplan for. All the team has to do is play assignment football, and they shut it down.

:confucius

Not sure how Beck's offense is anywhere close to pro-style.

hey OP, you obviously dont watch much CFB. Did you see what Miami did to the triple option today? 2.8 yards per rush for GT and only scored 7 points. It doest work against decent defenses.

Great point. That's why NU's Frost, Frazier, Gill & Crouch always got stuffed.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

...the triple option as coached by Paul Johnson at Georgia Tech. He's basically saying that its a big headache for every opponent playing against it. Why, oh why did we ever move away from it. Idiot Pederson and Idiot Callahan. Gotta go West coast, Gotta go West coast! What a load of crap that is!! And one more thing, if Callahan is such a good O-Line coach why didn't we see some of that when he was in Lincoln?

T_O_B

G>B>R

As a Jets fan, I can confidently say he is not a good o-line coach.

I'm not a Jets fan or a Bill Callahan apologist, but many pundits around the NFL considerd the Jets to have the best offensive line in the NFL the last two years.

I guess we're just debating semantics. I've never read even one single poster state TO "only" ran the option so I understand that.

Nor have I. The prominent albeit mundane discrepancy is that people referred to us as an "option" team, which isn't accurate. Again, semantics, but I still believe it's an important differentiation.

People said it was a "different game" in the 90's, too.

You're not unlike many people before you and those who will come after you. People think a run game can't work anymore, but the truth of the matter is that nobody does it. GT does it but they don't get near the recruits, they don't have the coaching, and their system is too straight forward to beat top tier teams with it consistently. Perhaps you weren't around in the 90's, and even I'll admit I was only a kid at the time, but people consistently ripped T.O. for the offense he ran and we were constantly viewed as a lesser program thanks to ESPN and all those other glorified analysts.

Then what would we do? We'd go out and embarrass a team that should have been equal to or greater than our own according to the "experts".

Anybody who thinks a run based offense can't work today has purely bought into the glorified hype that is college football today.

+1 for that response. I'd just like to add that the option is just a tool in the offensive arsenal. The coach needs to know the proper time to set it up/use it, and the players need to know how to execute it flawlessly when called upon. The difference in a 20 yard gain and no gain is all in the speed and timing. A perfect, last moment pitch to a back that already has a full head of steam is a thing of beauty. Not many teams since TO's can do that (that I've seen). Most just seem "clunky" to me.

Look, the triple option game has its place in CFB. Not as your primary weapon, but certainly a place. It does take dedication to run, because of the timing and can be very effective. Just look at the new Diamond formation. A triple option attack designed to get your receivers in a mismatched man coverage. Urban Meyer is a paid analyst and therefore had to say something constructive about GT. I am not taking away from Paul Johnson offense, but who has he beat consistently. Not to mention the beating your quarterback takes, he's basically a running back in there. I hope he can recruit a true dual threat quarterback so his offense can take advantage of that style of play.