Official Nebraska-Minnesota Gameday Discussion Thread

zoogs

It all depends on what the coaches are evaluating. I'm sure all of the fans would like to see him run the option or run some pass plays, but the coaches may just want to see him manage the offense, read the defense, make the right calls at the line of scrimmage, etc.

I guess, but I don't see why we would not want Brion to be more game ready. When he is going to be called on in the event of injury to do some of these things in a critical game, it shouldn't be the first time.

IMO, we've made pretty poor use of the time our backups have been in, on top of not getting them enough time during the opportunities we have had this year.

• Fire 1

It all depends on what the coaches are evaluating. I'm sure all of the fans would like to see him run the option or run some pass plays, but the coaches may just want to see him manage the offense, read the defense, make the right calls at the line of scrimmage, etc.

I guess, but I don't see why we would not want Brion to be more game ready. When he is going to be called on in the event of injury to do some of these things in a critical game, it shouldn't be the first time.

IMO, we've made pretty poor use of the time our backups have been in, on top of not getting them enough time during the opportunities we have had this year.

Thats what I've been saying all along. If we have any injuries, we're not going to have guys ready.

There were only two other games this year where we were up far enough to put our backups in - UTC and Wyoming. And even in those games, we weren't so dominant that they could get much playing time.

Today, with Brion, we were picking up huge chunks on the ground with that toss sweep - then as soon as we went away from that and let Brion get more involved with checking at the line, the zone read, the 3rd down pass that became a delay of game, the drive stalled. I think they tried getting Brion some meaningful reps at that time, but the drive stalled, and then Minnesota took the ball down the field and burnt clock.

You also have to remember that Brion isn't the only guy the coaches are interested in seeing. They've got backups in at every position - they need to see the oline and the WRS block, they need to see how the RBs are reading the defense... It's not just about Brion.

There were only two other games this year where we were up far enough to put our backups in - UTC and Wyoming. And even in those games, we weren't so dominant that they could get much playing time.

Today, with Brion, we were picking up huge chunks on the ground with that toss sweep - then as soon as we went away from that and let Brion get more involved with checking at the line, the zone read, the 3rd down pass that became a delay of game, the drive stalled. I think they tried getting Brion some meaningful reps at that time, but the drive stalled, and then Minnesota took the ball down the field and burnt clock.

You also have to remember that Brion isn't the only guy the coaches are interested in seeing. They've got backups in at every position - they need to see the oline and the WRS block, they need to see how the RBs are reading the defense... It's not just about Brion.

Exactly. There was lots of defensive backups playing too. One could say we need experience from them also.