Eric Martin Tweet

...You know, I don't care what their 'tweets' look like. My problem is that texting, tweeting, and facebook status updates have become so much a part of young people's lives that they don't know how to separate that from times when 'proper' or academic English is appropriate. You should try reading a high school student's report that is half written in 'text' language. I actually have to tell the kids at the time of the assignment that 'text' language is unacceptable.

This is completely true. Sad, really.

people had similar fears because of television, radio, printed text, and so on and so forth. get over it.

It's not a fear, it's a reality. I had students turn in papers that were half written in 'text' language. The worst part was, they had no idea why I was handing it back, ungraded, and telling them to re-write it. I'm not affraid of anything, I just think these kids spend so much time texting, and so little time reading English, that they don't even realize that they shouldn't turn in a formal paper written in text.

What high school do you teach?