*** Official Michigan State Game Discussion Thread ***

knapplc

I'm honestly surprised that we have the lead right now. Our defense has played superb, but sh#t, we can't throw the ball.

this is what worries me EVERY game!!!! We will never be a top tier team if we can throw for a first down or hit open WR's!!!

huh?

Be honest if we play any top 5 team are you confident it will be close with us just being able to run the ball??? Thats what I am saying, any team can focus on stopping our run.

Right....that's why TO could never win.

We above all else simply need better OLine play. Rex & Tmart are getting stuffed over & over....that's gotta change in the 2nd half. Even "if" Tmart could pass he's getting about 4 milli-seconds to get it done in the pocket. Again.....

Man, other than Rex, the offense is playing like complete garbage. Beck's going back to stop doing what was working and try to pass with one of the leagues worst passing QB's. That slow motion they showed of Martinez throwing was just pathetic. It's absolutely painful to watch him throw the ball.

???

He threw 6 passes. Beck isn't trying to pass it too much, and he's not "going away from what's working" because NOTHING is working.

We were running right up the gut and gaining yards, then Beck decided to try and get tricky. We started running up the gut again with Burkhead at the end and ran for a first down, then comes the pass to the sure handed Kinnie. Start going back to power run, then stopping it and trying to pass. Seems like our last coordinator seemed to do the same f'n thing. We need to start powering over their O-line and wear them down and then it all opens up as long as we don't let Martinez throw anything longer than 5 yards.

No, not really. We were able to get 30 yards or so on our first drive after Thorell's pick, and then barely got in on 3rd down. Then we got a big play from Marlowe, and couldn't punch it in from 1st and goal from the 1. Then we didn't establish the running game for the rest of the half until that last drive, when MSU was playing softly against the pass. AND Beck has only thrown 6 passes - he didn't go away from what is working, it's just that nothing is working right now.

I don't think we're going to be able to run the ball enough against this D to win it that way. If we cannot find a way to throw the ball, our D is going to play another great half.

If I am Beck, I stick with the run game and try to throw the occasional quick high completion rate,short yardage pass. No passes down the field!!! That is a recipe for disaster.

If the D holds up as they have been...we win this.

The D is doing well... but I expect adjustments from MSU and they will start passing in the middle of the field and begin to move the ball on us.

NU needs to go to the diamond on offense some, Go with some really short slants and safe short passing to establish a completion or two and get the confidence up somewhat. We will need 10 more points, at least, in order to win. We must generate some offense. Yet I will say... that was a better 1st half than I envisioned. I cannot imagine it remaining that way unless some serious adjustments are made by Beck. Our D cannot hold them forever.

Evans and Compton have played better than I have seen them play.

If you were the starting quarterback for a major college program and couldn't hit a bull in the ass with the football, wouldn't you seek out professional help in the offseason in order to keep from embarrassing yourself next year--if nothing else?

It's my understanding they did - and it got worse. I read that Martinez worked with a QB coach when he was home in California during the offseason. The coaching apparently didn't "take" and his motion looks worse to me than last year.

The D is doing well... but I expect adjustments from MSU and they will start passing in the middle of the field and begin to move the ball on us.

NU needs to go to the diamond on offense some, Go with some really short slants and safe short passing to establish a completion or two and get the confidence up somewhat.  We will need 10 more points, at least, in order to win. We must generate some offense.  Yet I will say... that was a better 1st half than I envisioned.  I cannot imagine it remaining that way unless some serious adjustments are made by Beck.  Our D cannot hold them forever.

Compton has been lights out. He must have been reading HB

I'm honestly surprised that we have the lead right now. Our defense has played superb, but sh#t, we can't throw the ball.

this is what worries me EVERY game!!!! We will never be a top tier team if we can throw for a first down or hit open WR's!!!

huh?

Be honest if we play any top 5 team are you confident it will be close with us just being able to run the ball??? Thats what I am saying, any team can focus on stopping our run.

Right....that's why TO could never win.

We above all else simply need better OLine play. Rex & Tmart are getting stuffed over & over....that's gotta change in the 2nd half. Even "if" Tmart could pass he's getting about 4 milli-seconds to get it done in the pocket. Again.....

If I remember when we won championships we at least hit a play action pass. I also think we ran the ball better when TO was here. Dont get me wrong I want Tmart to be successful. I hope to see him start for the next two years I just hope his machanics get a lil better, and is able to hit more WR's. or WR's not drop open passes.

I don't think we're going to be able to run the ball enough against this D to win it that way. If we cannot find a way to throw the ball, our D is going to play another great half.

If I am Beck, I stick with the run game and try to throw the occasional quick high completion rate,short yardage pass. No passes down the field!!! That is a recipe for disaster.

If the D holds up as they have been...we win this.

Thats asking a lot of our D, they've been great so far, but....just one big play can sink us if we can't get going on offense. Please something to slow down their Defense, misdirection or screen or something to get the ball out in space with one of our playmakers.

NU needs to go to the diamond on offense some, Go with some really short slants and safe short passing to establish a completion or two and get the confidence up somewhat. We will need 10 more points, at least, in order to win. We must generate some offense. Yet I will say... that was a better 1st half than I envisioned. I cannot imagine it remaining that way unless some serious adjustments are made by Beck. Our D cannot hold them forever.

Yep.

We'll need a couple of big plays from our offense. Ten more pts at minimum.

Some of these comments are so.... I don't even know the word.

Paraphrase: "Our offense sucks because we can't move the ball!"

Maybe it's MSU's defense???? They are one of the top in the nation!

Hopefully we do a great second half, like we have in the past games, and hopefully our D can continue to hold them and they don't figure out how to get past the cover 2.

I see MSU going for more passes in the middle.