Props for Will Compton

knapplc

Five solo tackles, Seven total tackles, a Tackle for Loss and two QB Hurries/soiled shorts.

That's a pretty darned good game against a top-ten opponent. For all the grief we've given Compton over his slow start to the season, he deserves equal praise for a game like this. The guy was all over the field, played contain very well, and in general played like we'd hoped he would all season (as did the rest of the defense).

Congrats on the great game, Will. Let's do it again this weekend.. :thumbs

I really agree here Knapp, he really attacked the ball. Played downhill I think is the term they like to use. Interesting on Big Red Wrapup last night, I though Fiala said something about playing this game in more of their old style defense. If I did hear that correctly, it would really lend credence to what's been said about the kids not being comfortable in the new sets. Because that looked a lot more like our old defenses.

I really agree here Knapp, he really attacked the ball. Played downhill I think is the term they like to use. Interesting on Big Red Wrapup last night, I though Fiala said something about playing this game in more of their old style defense. If I did hear that correctly, it would really lend credence to what's been said about the kids not being comfortable in the new sets. Because that looked a lot more like our old defenses.

Yeah I think Sip and Fiala were talking about it during the first half hour of the show last night. If it's true, it really showed.

He was still a liability in pass coverage. Luckily Cousins played poor and couldn't get the right guy the ball because our front 4 played very well.

Liability? I only saw the one play where his man (the TE) got behind him. That's a pretty athletic, fast TE, and it was a bang-bang play. He lost a step, and thankfully the TE couldn't hang onto the ball, but that was just one play. Even Rex had a false start last week.

He was still a liability in pass coverage. Luckily Cousins played poor and couldn't get the right guy the ball because our front 4 played very well.

Liability? I only saw the one play where his man (the TE) got behind him. That's a pretty athletic, fast TE, and it was a bang-bang play. He lost a step, and thankfully the TE couldn't hang onto the ball, but that was just one play. Even Rex had a false start last week.

Yeah he's a freaking MIKE linebacker. The only ones that aren't a liability are in the NFL because they are athletic freaks. Did anybody actually think he could cover halfbacks coming out of the backfield consistently?

I don't remember that one. I'm just referring to a few where Compton's guy was wide-open but Cousins couldn't get him the ball because he was either flushed out of the pocket, sacked, etc. Just because he didn't give up that many catches doesn't necessarily mean he was covering guys well.