At this point, how does the B1G compare to Big XII?

...much of our tradition and craziness developed as a way to keep fans attending and to entertain them when the football team was bad...and that was for many many decades. Any fan of the Badgers over 20 knows that.

This makes more sense. I can see that perspective.

For myself personally, I guess what I meant by the "having football not be about football is just mind boggling" comment is that the result on the field is practically the only thing that matters. Even when being at the games, for me personally even just the atmosphere of being inside the stadium with 82,000 other fellow Husker fans and the environment is practically peripheral to the actual result at the end of the game. It might sound ridiculous...but it's just the result of having grown up in the 90's and having the "tradition" be mainly about winning itself.

But your comment sheds light on the atmosphere in Madison - and it's understandable. You're good people, Badgerfan. :)

Sorry for the semi-hijacking of the thread. I do enjoy being in the Big 10 and getting to play other great teams.

...much of our tradition and craziness developed as a way to keep fans attending and to entertain them when the football team was bad...and that was for many many decades. Any fan of the Badgers over 20 knows that.

This makes more sense. I can see that perspective.

For myself personally, I guess what I meant by the "having football not be about football is just mind boggling" comment is that the result on the field is practically the only thing that matters. Even when being at the games, for me personally even just the atmosphere of being inside the stadium with 82,000 other fellow Husker fans and the environment is practically peripheral to the actual result at the end of the game. It might sound ridiculous...but it's just the result of having grown up in the 90's and having the "tradition" be mainly about winning itself.

But your comment sheds light on the atmosphere in Madison - and it's understandable. You're good people, Badgerfan. :)

Sorry for the semi-hijacking of the thread. I do enjoy being in the Big 10 and getting to play other great teams.

haha no worries. I understand and respect that, its just two different cultures I suppose.

To keep it moving I have another question. You guys travel...a lot. Apparently its kind of your thing...

How do the venues and cities compare across the conferences? This is a stickler for me because I would almost rather travel to games in Texas, Oklahoma and Colorado (when they were in) than Ohio, Indiana and Minnesota...maybe that's just me though. Having spent so much time in the Midwest I'm really bored with it.

I like the level of football in the B12 but for everything else it's the B1G. Also, it just feels weird not knowing much about 1/2 these teams in the B1G. For instance, I never knew that WI had CU-like scum fans..... For all the talk about how Alvarez molded their program after NU's from copying our uni's right down to the style of football...... it's surprising.

Wisconsin ripping NU is kind of a poor point in my book. Barry never coached there, he was a linebacker. It pains me to say it but if any place influenced him it was Iowa and Hayden Fry where he spent the most time as a coach before UW.

"A lot of my philosophy was based upon the foundation I had starting at Nebraska," Alvarez said.

http://espn.go.com/c...ska-cornhuskers

Funny..... only a badger fan would not know that.

When you come to UW on an Autumn Saturday you come for the party, the football is in many ways an afterthought.

You'll probably try to scold me and call this out as "trash talk," but seriously...just another example of the vast chasm of differences between a program that has won multiple national championships (at least in the fairly recent era) and one that hasn't.

Anyone can find any excuse to party. Any time. Anywhere. Having football not be about football is just mind boggling.

Actually I agree with you, thats exactly why things are like they are at UW...much of our tradition and craziness developed as a way to keep fans attending and to entertain them when the football team was bad...and that was for many many decades. Any fan of the Badgers over 20 knows that.

As far as football not being about football I don't know what you're getting at with that...I was saying that people come to Madison on gamedays to party..this is a known fact. We're not known around the country for having amazing football teams that you have to come see in person, we're known for having a crazy gameday experience revolving around booze. I'm not knocking it or praising it, that's just the way it is. If this is news to you or you have a problem with it..um sorry? You wanted to join the conference...many schools in the BT are this way.

True, just ask any Sparty fan. Their biggest concern was where are they going to party at for an 11:00 AM game.

So was ours....Just look at some of the threads for last week. threads like what time will the bars open? What time will you start drinking? Everyone does it, not just fans from other schools.

And just for the record, Badgerfan has been here a lot longer than most of you guys and has proven himself to be a valuable asset to the board. These new people starting pissing matches with other posters is getting ridiculous. And calling him blind/dumb is just immature...

I like the level of football in the B12 but for everything else it's the B1G. Also, it just feels weird not knowing much about 1/2 these teams in the B1G. For instance, I never knew that WI had CU-like scum fans..... For all the talk about how Alvarez molded their program after NU's from copying our uni's right down to the style of football...... it's surprising.

Wisconsin ripping NU is kind of a poor point in my book. Barry never coached there, he was a linebacker. It pains me to say it but if any place influenced him it was Iowa and Hayden Fry where he spent the most time as a coach before UW.

"A lot of my philosophy was based upon the foundation I had starting at Nebraska," Alvarez said.

Funny..... only a blind/dumb badger fan would not know that.

2x06-The-Fight-Animated-gif-the-office-8680316-325-188.gif

• Fire 1

And calling him blind/dumb is just immature...

Totally agree. But on the other side of the coin, here's a petition from you: Don't lump all of the "new posters" together. We from the other board know who the diseases are, but have been asked by your mods to not bring any of that up here, and I'm respecting that. I had an intelligent dialogue with Badgerfan, as you can clearly see above.

I will be equally pissed to be lumped in with certain other new posters...not to name names...*cough*

The one thing nobody has brought up and maybe the biggest is the wrestling that goes with the B1G. The B1G is the powerhouse confrence when it comes to wrestling and us being apart of it is great. We have Iowa, Minn, PSU, Wiscy and now add NU to that and that is one tough confrence.

I love the new conference for football first, also the fact I haven't had to buy a single pay per view. The wrestling is an added benefit instead of the Big 5 that was part of the Big12. Again, add the fact it'll be on TV and I love this conference!

The one thing nobody has brought up and maybe the biggest is the wrestling that goes with the B1G. The B1G is the powerhouse confrence when it comes to wrestling and us being apart of it is great. We have Iowa, Minn, PSU, Wiscy and now add NU to that and that is one tough confrence.

I love the new conference for football first, also the fact I haven't had to buy a single pay per view. The wrestling is an added benefit instead of the Big 5 that was part of the Big12. Again, add the fact it'll be on TV and I love this conference!

Oh yes, that's right. Excellent wrestling too! The big10 kicks ass........

You mean besides the referees, Beebe, and TexASS ??

In all seriousness, I will really miss playing OU.and if I had my way I would like to go back to the Big 8 days and play OU the day after Thanksgiving. It is really hard if you are over say 40 years of age to let go of the rival matchups that were built with even teams like CU, Mizzou, Okie State and KState as well. Then TexASS came along and really messed things up. Since the Big 8 is not coming back then I think the B1G is a natural fit for NU. I think most Husker fans agree. Plus I really love the BTN.

Agree 100%. There seems to be more top to bottom balance in the Big Ten. I like the long term traditions, rival games, etc. It will take us a while to get use to it, but perhaps some team will become our next OU. If it is someone other than Iowa, then I hope we could move the game to the day after Thanksgiving. It will be interesting to see what the chemistry of the PSU rivalry will be. I think the rival game would have some more significance if our true rival was in our division - competing for the div championship the day after Thanksgiving.

Funny..... only a badger fan would not know that.

I was trying to locate "The Greatest Video Ever" - Barry A brags about his days at NU.

And calling him blind/dumb is just immature...

Totally agree. But on the other side of the coin, here's a petition from you: Don't lump all of the "new posters" together. We from the other board know who the diseases are, but have been asked by your mods to not bring any of that up here, and I'm respecting that. I had an intelligent dialogue with Badgerfan, as you can clearly see above.

I will be equally pissed to be lumped in with certain other new posters...not to name names...*cough*

Good point...I've found myself guilty of this too, its wrong. Idiots are idiots whether they're new or old.

Believe it or not we've been wearing cardinal and white for a while, actually a year longer than the Huskers...oh and we won a few games before Alvarez as well. I know its surprising...

yea and our fans are scum yours are saints blah blah blah

Alvarez coached in the state of Nebraska though. Head coach out at Lexington High School and at Lincoln Northeast High School. And did you not hear in that week leading up to the NU-UW game, that he built YOUR program after the one Devaney had built here at Nebraska???

Believe it or not we've been wearing cardinal and white for a while, actually a year longer than the Huskers...oh and we won a few games before Alvarez as well. I know its surprising...

Alvarez coached in the state of Nebraska though. Head coach out at Lexington High School and at Lincoln Northeast High School. And did you not hear in that week leading up to the NU-UW game, that he built YOUR program after the one Devaney had built here at Nebraska???

No, who is Barry Alvarez? Where did he coach? Why is this in a thread about the Big Ten v the Big Twelve...so many questions!

I love the stability, playing these new rivals is kind of cool, I really appreciate what the big ten will do for us academically. As far as athletics go, it pretty much sucks. It may be the downfall of the baseball program. Many of the recruiting rules put us at even more of a disadvantage behind southern teams. The all too numerous trophy games are lame, as is the way they decided the divisions and set up football schedules. In the big twelve, there were many more away games we could go to, on shorter drives. And the football....is a much more exciting and a much better product in the big twelve as opposed to the big ten. If we have to change or style of play to compete for and win the big ten, we wil probably never win another national championship again, as the style of play in the big ten is not on the same level as the elite southern schools.

Okay people, enough with this. The thread was not B1G v B12 and where did Alvarez like the best to mold a program after?

Can we please stay on topic here?

As far as this thread, I feel like the B1G is a better fit in all aspects. I do miss Oklahoma and the old Big 8 teams but not as much as I am excited for the new match-ups we have here in the B1G.

With the depth question, I would say right now the Big 12 is far superior in football at the top as others have said but if you look at the match-ups:

Wisconsin - oSu

Nebraska - OU

Michigan St. - aTm

Ohio St. - TTU

Michigan - Texas

Penn St - Mizzou

Iowa - KSt

Illinois - Baylor

Purdue - Iowa State

Indiana

Minnesota

The Big 12's top 3 teams I think would definitely beat our (man it feels weird saying that) top 3, but after that I think the B1G wins all the other games.

Oh, and yes I did put OU/NU #2 so they could match up with each other. I actually think the argument could be made that right now both are the best in their respective conferences but both could drop at the end of November depending on what happens on the field.