At this point, how does the B1G compare to Big XII?

I'm confused, how does what compare to the Big XII...this thread is perplexing

i think i explained it fairly well. everything, all the possible things, are better.

venues, teams, btn, and so on and so forth.

Ohhhh we're talking about the Big Ten, I get it. Well from the perspective of a fan of the Big Ten prior to expansion I think you guys have definitely proven to be worth the move. Adding NU enriched the conference substantially...the races for the championship are incomparably better and now we have a CG, they are more than capable of being competitive in the league and as a program with national appeal now we're up to four marque teams. I think that may be more than any other conference, (SEC may beg to differ but other than Bama I'm not sure any of those teams is head and shoulders a national fan base team...maybe LSU...maybe, all the others are strong in their states and big in the region but I've never seen a Vol fan in Minneapolis or an Auburn fan in Topeka)

That said AAU membership would be nice and we'll see how they fair in B-Ball. Have a feeling they're going to tear up baseball though.

we are still embarrassed about the AAU debacle, and i imagine we will always be embarrassed by nebrasketball, but maybe this is our year.

AAU membership could happen again if pride doesn't get in the way and even if it doesn't things will pan out alright. I'm thinking in 10 or 20 years UNL will improve its academics greatly from cooperating with its conference brethren in the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, so even if its not in the AAU it'll be at the level. That's the awesome thing about the Big Ten, we're much more than just athletics.

Nebraska losing it's AAU status had less to do with the quality of "academics" at Nebraska, and more to do with the "type" of "academics" at Nebraska and the structure of of the institution. You could be right, the AAU could let Nebraska back in, but as long as the University of Nebraska Medical Center isn't technically considered part of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and as long as UNL keeps a heavy focus on agricultural research (which it should, since the goal of any University should be to improve and contribute to the community that supports it), then I'm guessing the AAU won't be interested in bringing Nebraska back into the fold.

People lend too much weight to the "prestige" of Universities. Prestige has nothing to do with the quality of education being given. If it did, Nebraska's debate team wouldn't have just won the Big Ten championship over Northwestern by more than 100 points.

I like the level of football in the B12 but for everything else it's the B1G. Also, it just feels weird not knowing much about 1/2 these teams in the B1G. For instance, I never knew that WI had CU-like scum fans..... For all the talk about how Alvarez molded their program after NU's from copying our uni's right down to the style of football...... it's surprising.

Wisconsin ripping NU is kind of a poor point in my book. Barry never coached there, he was a linebacker. It pains me to say it but if any place influenced him it was Iowa and Hayden Fry where he spent the most time as a coach before UW.

"A lot of my philosophy was based upon the foundation I had starting at Nebraska," Alvarez said.

http://espn.go.com/c...ska-cornhuskers

Look at the context of the article...of course Barry's going to puff up his ties to UNL before the game with Nebraska, and before a game with Iowa he'll talk about his near decade with them and how much it influenced him. Big deal. We had a team before Barry. We went to Rose Bowls before he showed up and we've gone after. We're not your little brother.

I didn't say you were our little brother, I was just arguing your point that, "if anyplace influenced him, it was Iowa." I'm sure Iowa influenced him, but so did Nebraska. That's all I'm saying. Of course Wisconsin is its own program... Crediting Nebraska with what Wisconsin and Alvarez have accomplished would be like crediting Michigan State or Wyoming with what Nebraska and Devaney have accomplished.

I'm confused, how does what compare to the Big XII...this thread is perplexing

i think i explained it fairly well. everything, all the possible things, are better.

venues, teams, btn, and so on and so forth.

Ohhhh we're talking about the Big Ten, I get it. Well from the perspective of a fan of the Big Ten prior to expansion I think you guys have definitely proven to be worth the move. Adding NU enriched the conference substantially...the races for the championship are incomparably better and now we have a CG, they are more than capable of being competitive in the league and as a program with national appeal now we're up to four marque teams. I think that may be more than any other conference, (SEC may beg to differ but other than Bama I'm not sure any of those teams is head and shoulders a national fan base team...maybe LSU...maybe, all the others are strong in their states and big in the region but I've never seen a Vol fan in Minneapolis or an Auburn fan in Topeka)

That said AAU membership would be nice and we'll see how they fair in B-Ball. Have a feeling they're going to tear up baseball though.

we are still embarrassed about the AAU debacle, and i imagine we will always be embarrassed by nebrasketball, but maybe this is our year.

AAU membership could happen again if pride doesn't get in the way and even if it doesn't things will pan out alright. I'm thinking in 10 or 20 years UNL will improve its academics greatly from cooperating with its conference brethren in the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, so even if its not in the AAU it'll be at the level. That's the awesome thing about the Big Ten, we're much more than just athletics.

I'm not sure about Basketball yet though..we'll see how they translate to the conference.

Out of curiosity you do realize the 2 swing votes that would have kept Nebraska in the AAU, If memory serves on the totals, were no votes from Wisconsin and another big ten school right? I cant remember who but I want to say Michigan?

You aren't allowed to give Nebraska crap on that front if your school voted them out. Screw the AAU. It's definitely a pride thing now. It means absolutely nothing.

Hey another person that flips sh#t because they think I'm talking smack. Great, hey how you doing?

I'm not giving UNL crap for being kicked out of the AAU, read what I said, was any of that giving you guys crap? I was being positive and optimistic. Don't get so defensive when you see someone from another fanbase post. I'm not here to tear down NU, if I was I'd have gotten my kicks and been banned weeks ago, I'm here to talk CFB and the Big Ten, something we all enjoy. Chill.

I read it wrong then. I think you'd have to do more to get banned then give the football board a hard time about aau membership. But according to the chancellor no actual difference between being a member or not, besides his invite to the snobatorium dinner and perception for the people that follow academics like football.

if invited back as some point I'm sure we could dig up a monocle for Harvey.

Anyhow, back, more or less, on topic I want to know what you guys think about conference depth.

Someone else brought it up earlier and it sounded as if opinions were mixed. Which conference do you think OVERALL (not just this year) has the most depth? Big Ten or Big XII?

Anyhow, back, more or less, on topic I want to know what you guys think about conference depth.

Someone else brought it up earlier and it sounded as if opinions were mixed. Which conference do you think OVERALL (not just this year) has the most depth? Big Ten or Big XII?

I think Big XII top two teams, OU and OSU would beat anyone the B1G puts in front of them. NU, OSU and UW and maybe MSU could beat A&M. UW, OSU I think could beat UT. I didn't say NU bc UTerus always beats us. So, all in all, I think the Big XII has the best two teams, but if you look at the conference as a whole, the B1G has just as much depth as the Big XII.

• Fire 2

I think Big XII top two teams, OU and OSU would beat anyone the B1G puts in front of them. NU, OSU and UW and maybe MSU could beat A&M. UW, OSU I think could beat UT. I didn't say NU bc UTerus always beats us. So, all in all, I think the Big XII has the best two teams, but if you look at the conference as a whole, the B1G has just as much depth as the Big XII.

I think it depends on the point of the year where Nebraska saw OU/OSU personally and what injuries happened. There's no reason the MSU game couldn't have happened (albeit higher scoring) against OSU if the defense came together before Nebraska got there in the schedule. For every part of them not getting checked by the big 12 south you have to sprinkle in Nebraska was building to beat OU/OSU so it's not like they get a free pass. OSU beat a horrible Texas by 12. They are by no means indestructible. Either game could go either way, I wouldn't write in a victory for either Oklahoma team. OU is stronger if they don't let up, by far. always. OSU would get exposed by anyone with athletes enough to shut down everyone but blackmon if they could keep him in check...

Quite frankly, on average the BigXII was a bit tougher at the top imo. NU, OU & Texas when they were on their game is a slight edge above the last 15 years of Ohio St, Michigan & PSU. Again, just my opinion and it's a "slight" edge.

The mid tier teams are about a wash is my guess. Colorado for several years was a "very" good team that even racked up an National Championship. KSU was in the hunt for awhile. Texas Tech, Okie St, Missouri & TAM were usually solid programs. Iowa is tough, MSU getting better annually, Wisconsin is a very fine program. NW can be a threat.

At the bottom Baylor & Indiana match up well although Baylor is playing better lately. Iowa St plays Iowa evenly and can surprise which is similar to Purdue. Minnesota about the same.

I'd have to give the edge to the BigXII for the play on the field "barely" but everything else is a HUGE win for the Big10. The fans are our kind of people, no human dildo's running the conference for only Texas, how they play the game is much more to my kind of football, etc, etc.

Of course, at the risk of sounding horribly obnoxious we're in the Big10 "now" and so the Big10 edges past the BigXII on football quality. Wisconsin, PSU, Ohio St, Nebraska with MSU coming on strong.......that's a damn fine lineup for any conference. Michigan will right the ship soon too is my guess.

I'm really, really thrilled to be part of the Big10 and honestly hope we return the favor and get some nice OOC & Bowl wins for the Big10 soon.

GBR!!

GoBig10!!

The one thing nobody has brought up and maybe the biggest is the wrestling that goes with the B1G. The B1G is the powerhouse confrence when it comes to wrestling and us being apart of it is great. We have Iowa, Minn, PSU, Wiscy and now add NU to that and that is one tough confrence.

Which conference has the most depth varies from year to year, and, I'd think if you look over the past decade and look on average, the top of the B12 has been slightly better than the top of the B1G (though that was not your question) and the overall upper middle grouping (say the #3-6 teams) were about even... though I'd say, on average, that the bottom of the B1G has been slightly better than the bottom of the B12. So... overall, I'd say the conferences are pretty much dead even.

Now this year has yet to play out fully and one will not know until we have the hindsight of knowing the outcome of the next 4 games for everyone as well as the bowls. That said, it appears as though the B12 is deeper now and certainly better on the top --- but my suspicion is that from here out the B12 will be somewhat exposed... lets see how they do in the bowls. The B12 may still end up better than the B1G this year, but if so, I do not think it will by much.

When you come to UW on an Autumn Saturday you come for the party, the football is in many ways an afterthought.

You'll probably try to scold me and call this out as "trash talk," but seriously...just another example of the vast chasm of differences between a program that has won multiple national championships (at least in the fairly recent era) and one that hasn't.

Anyone can find any excuse to party. Any time. Anywhere. Having football not be about football is just mind boggling.

• Fire 2
When you come to UW on an Autumn Saturday you come for the party, the football is in many ways an afterthought.

You'll probably try to scold me and call this out as "trash talk," but seriously...just another example of the vast chasm of differences between a program that has won multiple national championships (at least in the fairly recent era) and one that hasn't.

Anyone can find any excuse to party. Any time. Anywhere. Having football not be about football is just mind boggling.

Actually I agree with you, thats exactly why things are like they are at UW...much of our tradition and craziness developed as a way to keep fans attending and to entertain them when the football team was bad...and that was for many many decades. Any fan of the Badgers over 20 knows that.

As far as football not being about football I don't know what you're getting at with that...I was saying that people come to Madison on gamedays to party..this is a known fact. We're not known around the country for having amazing football teams that you have to come see in person, we're known for having a crazy gameday experience revolving around booze. I'm not knocking it or praising it, that's just the way it is. If this is news to you or you have a problem with it..um sorry? You wanted to join the conference...many schools in the BT are this way.

Actually I agree with you, thats exactly why things are like they are at UW...much of our tradition and craziness developed as a way to keep fans attending and to entertain them when the football team was bad...and that was for many many decades. Any fan of the Badgers over 20 knows that.

As far as football not being about football I don't know what you're getting at with that...I was saying that people come to Madison on gamedays to party..this is a known fact. We're not known around the country for having amazing football teams that you have to come see in person, we're known for having a crazy gameday experience revolving around booze. I'm not knocking it or praising it, that's just the way it is. If this is news to you or you have a problem with it..um sorry? You wanted to join the conference...many schools in the BT are this way.

True, just ask any Sparty fan. Their biggest concern was where are they going to party at for an 11:00 AM game.