Mizzou Fans outshame CU fans

jjamuss

You want to hear some hateful and disrespectful fans sit in my seats in Lincoln. I have two-three fools behind me every game/every play cursing and yelling at the Husker staff and Players. They are also head to toe Husker gear. I think this is worse then the other teams fans yelling at the Husker fans.

KSU fans are tools also.

Yeah, I ran into one of those at the ISU game, cheered when Tierre Green got hurt so he had to come out. Bout knocked him out.

I was at the game on saturday and the MU fans got real quiet when Nebraska came back and a lot of them left. While walking through campus to get to our cars, having the goal posts carried past us and yelling "F*** Nebraska!" over and over again and getting pointed at and taunted is just wrong. It wasn't a few fans doing this either, it was nearly all of the students. One yelled that at my girlfriend and almost met my knuckles before he took off. In Ames in 2002, I was met with rude behavior as well and was skeptical going back last year. Last year, the ISU fans were more respectful and gave some hope for their fan base. I agree with some posters above, I will not taunt them and be rude when they come here, because that's just not our style and we will be trashy pieces of s**t if we stoop to that level as well. I say, let's support the hell out of our team and let the Big Red roll right over them for the next 24 years.

Nebraska Fans-

My name is Greg, and I am a sophomore journalism student at the University of Missouri. I've read your posts regarding the treatment of visiting NU fans when they came to Columbia for this weekend's game. On behalf of the Missouri fan base, I would like to apologize to those who have come away from a MU-NU game with a bad taste in their mouths. True, I am not a Husker fan, but I also realize that there is a difference between passion for your team and, well, being a douchebag. I am sorry to say that Saturday, it appears that Mizzou did not help their reputation.

I heard some of the trash talking going on, and frankly, I got red-faced. That is not what the University of Missouri is about. One of the pillars of Mizzou is Respect, and that is not what was being exhibited. I understand that trash talking can be fun when it is done in the right way, but obviously this was not. And so, I apologize.

I went to the Mizzou-Nebraska game in Lincoln last year, and honestly, I received mixed reactions. I was jeered by probably 25% of the NU fans I encountered, and welcomed with open arms by the other 75%. But I also understand that NU has a reputation as being some of the best fans in America. In fact, if you grab an issue of one of last week's Daily Nebraskan, my brother, a student at Texas Tech who went to the TTU-NU game, wrote a letter to the editor that was published in the paper praising the NU fans for their helpfulness and kindness. It is probably the rivalry that stirs up the emotions.

The NU fans I encountered in Columbia this weekend had the same split: 25% leaning more towards obnoxious and rude, the other 75% being some of the best fans I've ever met. I like to think that Mizzou fans have the same percentage. Its the rivalry, I think, that stirs up the emotions. But again, that does not excuse the Mizzou fans' behavior that led to your poor opinions of us, and for that, I am sincerely apologetic.

As for tearing down the goalposts and bringing them to Harpo's..well...you have to let us have our fun. I know you guys aren't ranked, but you have basically dominated us for the past quarter-century (24-2 in the past 26 meetings). Especially with the horrible past we've had in our athletic department (scandals, embarassment, general terrible play), we need to celebrate whenever we beat a traditionally dominant program like NU.

It is a rivalry, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be respect. On behalf of all Mizzou fans everywhere, I apologize if you have ever felt disrespected by a MU fan. Mizzou and Nebraska share one of the best rivalries in the nation, fighting for one of the most prestigious travelling trophies in the land. Hopefully, we can get it back to what rivalries are all about: hard-nosed play that is ultimately founded on respect.

Thank You, and Mizzou-Rah!

Greg

LevelheadedMizzouFan Posted on Oct 24 2005, 09:52 PM

Nebraska Fans-

My name is Greg, and I am a sophomore journalism student at the University of Missouri. I've read your posts regarding the treatment of visiting NU fans when they came to Columbia for this weekend's game. On behalf of the Missouri fan base, I would like to apologize to those who have come away from a MU-NU game with a bad taste in their mouths. True, I am not a Husker fan, but I also realize that there is a difference between passion for your team and, well, being a douchebag. I am sorry to say that Saturday, it appears that Mizzou did not help their reputation.

I heard some of the trash talking going on, and frankly, I got red-faced. That is not what the University of Missouri is about. One of the pillars of Mizzou is Respect, and that is not what was being exhibited. I understand that trash talking can be fun when it is done in the right way, but obviously this was not. And so, I apologize.

I went to the Mizzou-Nebraska game in Lincoln last year, and honestly, I received mixed reactions. I was jeered by probably 25% of the NU fans I encountered, and welcomed with open arms by the other 75%. But I also understand that NU has a reputation as being some of the best fans in America. In fact, if you grab an issue of one of last week's Daily Nebraskan, my brother, a student at Texas Tech who went to the TTU-NU game, wrote a letter to the editor that was published in the paper praising the NU fans for their helpfulness and kindness. It is probably the rivalry that stirs up the emotions.

The NU fans I encountered in Columbia this weekend had the same split: 25% leaning more towards obnoxious and rude, the other 75% being some of the best fans I've ever met. I like to think that Mizzou fans have the same percentage. Its the rivalry, I think, that stirs up the emotions. But again, that does not excuse the Mizzou fans' behavior that led to your poor opinions of us, and for that, I am sincerely apologetic.

As for tearing down the goalposts and bringing them to Harpo's..well...you have to let us have our fun. I know you guys aren't ranked, but you have basically dominated us for the past quarter-century (24-2 in the past 26 meetings). Especially with the horrible past we've had in our athletic department (scandals, embarassment, general terrible play), we need to celebrate whenever we beat a traditionally dominant program like NU.

It is a rivalry, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be respect. On behalf of all Mizzou fans everywhere, I apologize if you have ever felt disrespected by a MU fan. Mizzou and Nebraska share one of the best rivalries in the nation, fighting for one of the most prestigious travelling trophies in the land. Hopefully, we can get it back to what rivalries are all about: hard-nosed play that is ultimately founded on respect.

Greg 

its always bad when a group of people suck and others have to try to cover up for their ignorant "douchebag" asses. im quite sure that a win over the huskers will be big for mizzou for quite a while considering recent history so im sure if it happens again some of that behavior will show up again unfortunately. anyway im sure you guys cant be as bad as some of the michigan fans ive had to listen to, they curse their own players, coaches, fans and basicly life in general sometimes.

Nebraska Fans-

Greg

Your comments are well taken. Thanks for being a voice of reason. Good luck the rest of the way.

LevelheadedMizzouFan,

I also go to MU but am a die hard Husker fan. The arguement of "let us have our fun" doesn't make much sense. Why not tear down the goal posts after the OVERTIME, HOMECOMING win over ISU? If I remember correctly, NEBRASKA is not MU's rival, that would be KU. I lost even more respect for MU fans as I was walking out of the stadium and some MU fan yelled in our face nebraska sucks. Is that necessary? I'm often ashamed to go to MU because of the actions of the fans.

If I remember correctly, NEBRASKA is not MU's rival, that would be KU.

Yeah, I think...if I'm not mistaken, OU is NU's rivalry. CU is a close second.

MU's had their fun with Nebraska on our "road to recovery"; stand-by for a winning drought for the next...oh say...20 years. :lol:

GBR! :thumbs

i would have to say i was surprised how unrude the people were around me..there were a few that were obviously short some brain cells that were snide in their comments but most were nice and asking us if were were having a good time...granted i was not near the student section....

i do find it interesting that they tore down the goal posts again....i dont think they realize that they are just paying us respect and complements by doing so...they think they are rubbing it in our faces but look at where we have been the past 4 years, very average....but yet is is a major victory to these teams to beat the cornhuskers...that says alot about the tradition we have had for many years...i say keep tearing down goal posts, increase ticket prices to pay for them. keep yelling at us, it just simply shows that they still consider us the team to beat, the elite in the North... :clap

Our biggest football rivarly, albeit one-sided, is with Nebraska and not KU. KU is our basketball rivarly. They wear those Muck Fizzou shirts.

I live in Nebraska and have always been treated with respect and I have done the same back.

I have a lot of Missouri fans and most of them are very polite, and nice people just in general.

Unfortunately, there are a lot Missouri fans that hate Nebraska so much (b/c of the drought) and as a result can be very rude and disrespectful.

3 Missouri fans spent $75 on the Missouri Fight song at a piano bar in omaha Saturday night compared to only $53 combined by the rest of the Nebraska faithful for the Nebraska fight song. As a result, the Missouri Fight Song got a lot more play time.

Now in defense, all teams have disrespectful fans, and there were a few camera shots of the Nebraska fans talking smack during the game.

It happens everywhere, especially in Boulder.

Go Mizzou!!

Thanks to the Tiger fans for their kind words and perspective. Also pls tell your brother thanks for the nice words & taking the time to write the letter, Greg.

For everyones info, here is the letter Levelheaded was referring to - a very nice one indeed:

Texas Tech fan welcomed in Lincoln

As a Texas Tech student and avid Red Raider fan, I had been waiting for months to make the trip from Lubbock to Lincoln for the Tech-UNL game. I had heard so much about the pride and pageantry of the Husker traditions and the aura that surrounded attending a game at Memorial Stadium.

Another thing I had heard a lot about was how Nebraska fans are the classiest in the Big 12. That statement does not serve you all justice. From my experience this past weekend from interacting with y’all pre-game, post-game and on the beloved O Street, Husker Nation deserves the notion as classiest fans in the nation.

From the time my friends and I arrived in Lincoln, we were welcomed with open arms from every Husker fan we met and were told how appreciated our presence at the game was. I have been to games at Texas A&M, Texas and Oklahoma, and their game day environments are nothing compared to the buildup for a Huskers game. Even after the game, we were told “great game,” were once again thanked for making the trip to Lincoln and were wished a safe trip home, a sight that I have never seen from any team’s fans, nonetheless from ones that just suffered a heart-breaking loss.

From our arrival to our departure, the entire time we were in Lincoln was an absolute joy. I have already made a mental note to make any and every effort to try and visit Lincoln when Tech and Nebraska match up again, as I now consider Lincoln as my favorite college town (excluding Lubbock of course).

I want to thank everyone in the Cornhusker family for providing my fellow Red Raiders and I with a great experience, which was complimented with a great and exciting game. I only hope that the football gods can grant us with the opportunity to meet up with each other again. This time in Houston for the Big 12 Championship game.

Matt Tepper

Senior

Mass Communications major Texas Tech

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/vnews/displa...bf?in_archive=1