Tebow haters

That's crap. As a Christian myself, I appreciate his beliefs. However, it's football. He sucks as a QB, will never amount to anything in the NFL until he agrees to change positions.

Yeah, he completely sucks.

Five wins, one loss

Eight touchdowns, one pick

Zero turnovers in the five wins

Four of those wins came on the road

Avg. six yards per carry for three touchdowns

"If I told you QB X was 5-1, 8 TD passes, 1 INT, 0 turnovers in 5 wins (4 on the road), 6 yards a carry on 78 runs w/ 3 TDs, would you be impressed?" -- Skip Bayless

Except those wins haven't been against quality opponents. See Detroit game for his ass whooping. Hell most of the time he is handing off the ball. For one game he had 2 completions out of 8 attempts. He can't beat good teams and that is why he will never succeed unless he improves.

I'm a 25+ year Bronco fan. I'm not in the "Tebow is the Second Coming" (of John Elway, not the other reference) crowd but I think he deserves a chance to see what he can do, especially when Orton was 4-18 over his last 22 starts. To me, his six starts this year fall into three categories:

The Detroit Debacle

I didn't actually get to see this game but here are his stats for the game:

18/39 passing, 172 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT; 10 rush, 63 yds, 1 fumble

Not great, but 235 yds of offense with 1 TD and 2 turnovers for his worst game over a six-game stretch isn't out of line for any NFL QB. At least one not named Rodgers or Brady.

Games where the Broncos dominated the game by running:

vs. Oakland (entire game) - 10/21, 124 yds, 2 TDs; 13 rush, 118 yds

vs. Kansas City (entire game) - 2/8, 69 yds, 1 TD; 9 rush, 43 yds

The passing percentages aren't great but that doesn't tell the whole story. The Broncos were able to run the ball well enough that they didn't need Tebow to throw. And Tebow is a big part of the running game.

Games where the Broncos called it ultra-conservative until they had to turn Tebow loose

These games were the frustrating ones to watch. Even when the running game wasn't working, they kept plowing ahead. It reminded me of the old Frank Solich Prevent Offense: Run into the middle, run into the middle, throw on 3rd & 8, Punt. It's tough for any QB to be effective when they're always throwing on 3rd & long. When it finally got late enough that they had no choice but to let Tebow go, he came through:

vs. Miami (last 6 minutes of regulation & OT) - 9/13, 116 yds, 2 TDs; 2 rush, 17 yds, 2 PT

vs. New York Jets (last 6 minutes) - 3/5, 35 yds; 6 rush, 57 yds, TD

vs. San Diego (4th quarter & OT) - 4/8, 86 yds; 10 rush, 34 yds

In what amounts to about 3 1/2 quarter of game time, Tebow was 16/26 (61.5%) for 237 yds and 2 TDs with 18 carries for 108 yds (6.0 ypc) a TD and a 2 Pt conversion. You would take 345 yds and 3 TDs from your QB any day.

As I see it, there are two ways to explain things so far: the running game and defense are working so well that the coaches will stick with that plan until forced to change. Or they don't trust Tebow until they have no choice even though he keeps coming through. I'm fine with the former but I'm afraid it's the latter and they'll claim that after the season no matter what their record is. I don't think that's giving him a fair chance.

There are excuses after every game: Miami was winless (doesn't look so bad now), Oakland and KC aren't very good. The Jets are struggeling. San Diego is under-performing. But Denver lost to Oakland and San Diego at home earlier in the year then beat them on the road. They scored 20 points per game this year under Orton and are at 20 with Tebow even after trading their best reciever and losing their #2 RB for the year so they haven't lost anything, despite what people like to say.

They won't win the rest of their games 17-13 but they will be competitive. Tebow gives them more options and makes enough plays to have a chance to win most games. And, a big thing that gets overlooked, is he hasn't turned it over in the five wins. If you can run the ball, control the clock and not put your defense in bad positions, you'll have a good chance. Orton had 9 turnovers in 4 1/2 games. Tebow has two in 6 1/2. That's on pace with Rodgers and better than Brady. Obviously Tebow doesn't throw it as many times but he's smart with the ball when he does.

Tebow probably doesn't have "all the NFL throws" in his arm but he was a mid-60% passer in college so he can get it done throwing when given the right options. I'd be interested to see how he improves if he gets a full off-season to work.