Bo Should go.

Pelini thus far has proven to be:

1) a horrid recruiter

2) terrible at motivating unless employing "us vs. the world" mentality

3) His teams are terribly coached- mental mistakes are a staple for his teams

4) Unable to hire anyone he isn't buddies with to fix mistakes

5) Too eager to overstep his role and micromanage other coaches

6) Petty in dealing with players and playing time

7) Playing favorites in order to get "his guys" on the field over more worthy players.

If you can look past all this and put up with his demeanor and messing with NU traditions, then by all means, support him. But I'm losing faith in this staff.

• Fire 1

And Nebraska will now proceed to win out for the rest of this year and most of these guys will never be heard from until we lose the CCG [which may not happen]. Very large group of fair weather fans here. It's seriously just sickening and pathetic.

Sorry we have offended you, Superfan.

You know, a lot of "these guys" are here on a regular basis, are very ardent fans, and obviously do know something about the game. Just because they question does not make them "fair weather". I think this storyline is getting as much play in several different threads as the game itself.

I've reposted in a different thread somewhere. That was said in a spur of the moment situation...

I find what gets to me is not those who are constantly around, but rather those who come here after a loss and proceed to claim the "See, I told you I was right" card.

Please, don't ever call me Superfan...I have never claimed to be above everyone else. I may have said what I personally think of some of the posts on here immediately post games [win or loss comparison], but I have never claimed to be above everyone else in terms of my fandom

That's true, you haven't. I usually enjoy reading your posts, much like bshirt, I think they are extremely supportive and positive in nature. That's hard for me, being a natural pessimest. I think your post just was the final straw for me, that sentiment has been echoed in numerous threads tonight by many different people and I finally had enough. Yours was just the one that made me respond. The prevailing thought in most of those type posts is that if you question or criticize, then you are less of a fan, and that's just not true.

Apologies to lashing out at you in particular.

Understood. Questioning and criticizing is the essential tool for fandom. College football wouldn't be college football without a difference in opinions amongst fans.

Certainly the team has a whole lot of things that it can improve on. Notice I said team, not just players. The coaches have places where they can improve upon, and Bo is not excluded from that list. His teams have had an annoying attribute to where they play down to their level of competition in some games.

But I'm a firm believer that firing him is simply just not the answer, like some posters have been saying. It simply just won't do us as a program any good. Some believe 10 wins is mediocre. I believe, under the circumstances, 10 wins is fantastic. Just look at how much youth and talent we have on the offensive side of the ball. It's scary. With the offense hopefully gelling for the next few years [until Taylor leaves] it is now up to Bo to work extremely with the defense and get those young guys to understand how his system works. If he can succeed, watch out.

Oh, I'm not for firing him either. Personally, I don't think he's the answer, but we just can't afford another change right now (although perhaps Carl.....?). I've said in another thread that we've forgotten how long it took both Bob and TO to reach that final level so patience is in order. But we're also starting to sound a lot like Cub fans anymore, wait until next year. In the college game now, you can't wait for next year, the kids need to play and perform right out of the gate. That is asking a lot, but it's how the game has evolved.

For all of the people saying that Pelini's got to keep his team from playing down to competition or whatever, what is he supposed to do? Honestly do you have any idea?

From the second the MSU game ended, he was talking about Northwestern, and how it was going to be a tough game. He talked up Northwestern all week. He and his players said that they were focused and practiced well all week, but then came out flat on gameday. What does a head coach do about that?

I'm just wondering if any of you critics actually have a solution. From my point of view, this game had more to do with our players' lack of maturity, and there's not a whole lot that I know of that can fix that other than experiences like today.

No offense, but I am not the one making 2.5mil a year. This isnt my job, this is his job. It is a head coaches job to get his players up for EVERY game.

There's no magic wand, though. If it were that easy for anyone to motivate people, no team would ever have letdowns in college football.

At the end of the day, the players have to be intrinsically motivated - they're the ones responsible for playing the game and for getting themselves up for it. There are certain things that coaches can do to inspire that, but it's always up to the player to eventually take it upon himself. That's why you hear these coaches praising guys like Tim Marlowe, Rex Burkhead, Taylor Martinez, Lavonte David, and Alfonzo Dennard - those guys have taken that next step, where they prepare the right way every week and they bring their A game every Saturday.

However, you've also got a lot of inexperienced, immature guys on the team right now that apparently haven't figured that out. I sympathize with the coaches because as a teacher, sometimes you give it all you've got and you do everything you possibly can for your students, and those students simply don't take the lesson to heart for whatever reason. Sometimes, as the teacher/coach, there's not much more you can do.

If you wanna see what made Osborne's great teams really special, it was that. It was the players taking responsibility and working their butts off week in and week out to meet THEIR standard of play, and they held themselves to a higher standard than anyone else in the country. In my opinion, THIS is the kind of situation where you question the leadership on the team, but I've noticed that our "leadership" really only gets criticized when our QB doesn't play well... <_<

Anyways, the point of my OP was just to ask all of Bo's critics if they even had any idea what Bo should do differently. Because, it seems to me that if you're able to diagnose the problem so clearly, you should also be able to lay out a solution.

I really think that anyone whos either calling for the coaches head or thinks we deserve better are f'ing idiots. Talent takes time to develop. You bring a saben or a miles here and there just going to bring in what they can because of there name but that will run out. The talent pool isnt fighting tooth and nail to come to nebraska. Its up to the coaches to develop what talent they have. Hey newsflash, who sucked the past few years but was undefeated up until last week. Kansas State, you think all of a sudden the talent pool dumped into there yard. Do you think some of this has anything to do with luck, or getting up for a game, or whatever else comes into a young student athletes mind. I think Bo is doing fine, were winning games we were underdogs in. Were beating top 25 teams again, making comebacks. What the hell is the matter with some of you. You sound like Hawkeye fans. And this means no offence to the fans who stand by there leader or there team but you fairweather fans. We lost to northwestern, who hasnt in this friggin league. Some times it takes 1 play 3 quarters ago that makes you by it in the 4th quarter. What kind of fan base is like this, you lose and automatically its bos fault. Tom Osborne, Bob Devaney, Bo Pelini, Nick Saban, Les Miles, Bob Stoops, NO ONE has a crystal ball on what plays are going to be run or what scheme is coming to the table. When we start going 6-6 or 7-5 then ill think we have a problem. If the talent gets that bad in lincoln and our coaches lose that far of an aspect then ill call for a change. But no way am i going to say that after a fluke loss when a man who has brought in great talent and brought this program back to respectable levels should be shown the door. Im not new to being a fan but i am a few years new to watching alot of nebraska media. Were you that spoiled, do you expect so much all the time. How long did it take Alabama to come back into the fold. Look what USC and Ohio St are doing right now, how about Michigan. Some of you fans make the rest of us look like friggin obsessed idiots. Unhhhh we didnt get a NC shot this year, Unhhhhh we didnt get into a BCS bowl, Unhhhhh Waaaaaaa we lost a game Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Shut the f#*k up. Jesus f'ing Christ every f'ing time we lose this place turns in to the funny farm. Bo should go, good god. Bo isnt the problem, stupid f'ing fans are. Thank god most people dont run there lives like they run there thoughts in this place. Cut off in traffic, set fire to there car. Some one bumps into you on the street, you cut there head off. Friggin nutcases.

• Fire 4

For all of the people saying that Pelini's got to keep his team from playing down to competition or whatever, what is he supposed to do? Honestly do you have any idea?

From the second the MSU game ended, he was talking about Northwestern, and how it was going to be a tough game. He talked up Northwestern all week. He and his players said that they were focused and practiced well all week, but then came out flat on gameday. What does a head coach do about that?

I'm just wondering if any of you critics actually have a solution. From my point of view, this game had more to do with our players' lack of maturity, and there's not a whole lot that I know of that can fix that other than experiences like today.

No offense, but I am not the one making 2.5mil a year. This isnt my job, this is his job. It is a head coaches job to get his players up for EVERY game.

Yes, but how many head coaches get their players to perform every game? None that I know of. Every head coach loses games, whether to good ranked opponents or bad unranked opponents.

There are two things I'd like to point out here. First, there's something everybody needs to keep in mind - any given team is different any given week. It is not the same team week to week. If it were, then the better team should win a football game every single week. Instead, you have games like last weeks Iowa/Minnesota game. Minnesota beat Iowa, Iowa beat Michigan today and Michigan DESTROYED Minnesota 58-0 earlier in the season. A team is different every week.

Second, and this can't be stated enough, Nebraska set itself back with Watson. Rewind and revisit the last two years. Pelini is fixing the defense and making them an elite, dominating force. The offense was for the most part losing us football games. The year after Watson leaves, we replace and rework a couple of coaches on the offense. Because we didn't get rid of Watson sooner, our offense is behind what it should be from a depth and experience stand point. Plain and simple he wasn't a good long term offensive coordinator. Now, we're suffering because of it offensively.

With more experience and depth, perhaps we do better in the first half, score more points, Northwestern puts itself in bad positions, the game goes in our favor. I realize this works both ways, but I think I still have some valid reasoning here.

Furthermore, we lost cohesion on the defensive side of the ball and it takes time to rework that. Losing a couple of coaches on the defensive side of the ball is tough, and losing a couple of people to the NFL doesn't make things any easier, ESPECIALLY when we have nowhere near the talent of the south eastern schools. We don't have that luxury and probably never will, which means we pure and simply need to revert to what got us winning in the first place at Nebraska, which is what I believe we're heading towards.

Again, however, the failed Watson project and the defensive coach reworking set us back this year. If in a few years nothing changes from a coaching stand point and we're still having massive struggles, then I'll have a coaching discussion talk. But I'm not as disappointed in this loss today as many of you are.

I really think that anyone whos either calling for the coaches head or thinks we deserve better are f'ing idiots. Talent takes time to develop. You bring a saben or a miles here and there just going to bring in what they can because of there name but that will run out. The talent pool isnt fighting tooth and nail to come to nebraska. Its up to the coaches to develop what talent they have. Hey newsflash, who sucked the past few years but was undefeated up until last week. Kansas State, you think all of a sudden the talent pool dumped into there yard. Do you think some of this has anything to do with luck, or getting up for a game, or whatever else comes into a young student athletes mind. I think Bo is doing fine, were winning games we were underdogs in. Were beating top 25 teams again, making comebacks. What the hell is the matter with some of you. You sound like Hawkeye fans. And this means no offence to the fans who stand by there leader or there team but you fairweather fans. We lost to northwestern, who hasnt in this friggin league. Some times it takes 1 play 3 quarters ago that makes you by it in the 4th quarter. What kind of fan base is like this, you lose and automatically its bos fault. Tom Osborne, Bob Devaney, Bo Pelini, Nick Saban, Les Miles, Bob Stoops, NO ONE has a crystal ball on what plays are going to be run or what scheme is coming to the table. When we start going 6-6 or 7-5 then ill think we have a problem. If the talent gets that bad in lincoln and our coaches lose that far of an aspect then ill call for a change. But no way am i going to say that after a fluke loss when a man who has brought in great talent and brought this program back to respectable levels should be shown the door. Im not new to being a fan but i am a few years new to watching alot of nebraska media. Were you that spoiled, do you expect so much all the time. How long did it take Alabama to come back into the fold. Look what USC and Ohio St are doing right now, how about Michigan. Some of you fans make the rest of us look like friggin obsessed idiots. Unhhhh we didnt get a NC shot this year, Unhhhhh we didnt get into a BCS bowl, Unhhhhh Waaaaaaa we lost a game Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Shut the f#*k up. Jesus f'ing Christ every f'ing time we lose this place turns in to the funny farm. Bo should go, good god. Bo isnt the problem, stupid f'ing fans are. Thank god most people dont run there lives like they run there thoughts in this place. Cut off in traffic, set fire to there car. Some one bumps into you on the street, you cut there head off. Friggin nutcases.

I love you.

Seriously.

This is how we got in this position in the first place. With people that called for Solich to be fired! Heck I can remember when Osborne was getting run out of town but luckily he wasn't. This will be a long road to get back to being dominant again. I think Pelini is a great Defensive mind but not necessarily a head coach, Yet. He will get there but it will be a while. I do feel your frustration and do not think you are a bad fan because you expect excellence. I also get miffed when the team I love plays like a bunch of girl scouts but they will get better.

Frank deserved to be fired. But he should have been given one more year to complete his failure. That 2004 team was pathetic. Then everyone would have been behind his firing and then hopefully we could have had a better organized coaching search to replace him.

Does everyone here actually believe that Solich was fired solely because of the team's performance? He was fired because of off the field 'activities.' Pedey had no choice but to fire him. Hence the disorganized coaching search, etc. Solich left some good talent behind on defense and I would argue that other than Dennard and David, the defensive players that Callahan inherited were much more talented than what we have today, particularly on the defensive line. Our defensive line talent is currently embarrassing. I had to laugh today when the uninformed announcer called Meredith the next "superstar" on the defensive line.

Back to topic, I tend to agree that Bo is not going to be the guy to take us to consistent contenders for BCS bowl games. What bothers me is the team's lack of discipline. Penalties, missed assignments, dropped balls, lack of intensity, poor tackling... You name it. It's becoming the calling card of Pelini's teams. Playing great one week then completely laying an egg the next. It just seems to me that in about 4 or 5 games per year our team comes out completely flat. The coaching today also stunk. The clock management stunk. The 2 gap scheme we run blows and we don't have the personnel to make it work. Sure they looked great against Michigan State last week, but lets face it, Sparty had a hard time running the ball on Minnesota today. Conversely, look at how disruptive Northwestern's Dline was today. How many negative plays did we have? They were running similar plays with their mobile QB and they worked great against our soft D. I'm willing to give Pelini 1 or 2 more years, but this sh#t is seriously getting old. I used to look forward to our offense getting off the field so I could watch the Blackshirts knock the piss out of the opposing team. Now I just have to hope that the other team will make a mistake to kill their drive.

Unfortunately as others have stated we wouldn't be able to get a proven big name coach in here even if we did get rid of Bo. Maybe Bill Snyder would come up here? (just kidding)

I'm glad you subscribe to the National Inquirer. Now, how about one shred of real "proof" before going back to your "As the World Turns" soap opera?

I work with a friend of Pedey's who grew up a childhood friend with Steve and who remains in touch with him today. Pedey told him everything that was going on with Franky and his problem with getting a couple women pregnant(one of which was a student). How am I supposed to prove that? You don't find it just a little fishy that Solich going from a .500 season to 9-3 the next year got him fired? Don't you think you're a little over-the-top with all your responses on this board? Most of your posts do nothing but mock other peoples opinions. I bow down to you for being the smartest and most informed fan on this board.

But it's perfectly fine to assassinate the character of a previous HC of ours on a public forum with zero proof?

I do sincerely apologize for my sarcasm. Maybe we both could use a little better judgement?

I agree that the overreactions to losses like this sometimes border on lunacy. I have a hard time reading these threads because it makes me squirm when I see people embarrassing themselves.

Go for a walk, or go hug your wife or play with your kids or pet your dog for a few minutes before you come on here and click the post button. If that doesn't work, go have some fun on a Saturday evening and get a good night's sleep. Then come back and discuss the game. The reactionary posting isn't good for you or anyone else.

This is how we got in this position in the first place. With people that called for Solich to be fired! Heck I can remember when Osborne was getting run out of town but luckily he wasn't. This will be a long road to get back to being dominant again. I think Pelini is a great Defensive mind but not necessarily a head coach, Yet. He will get there but it will be a while. I do feel your frustration and do not think you are a bad fan because you expect excellence. I also get miffed when the team I love plays like a bunch of girl scouts but they will get better.

Frank deserved to be fired. But he should have been given one more year to complete his failure. That 2004 team was pathetic. Then everyone would have been behind his firing and then hopefully we could have had a better organized coaching search to replace him.

Does everyone here actually believe that Solich was fired solely because of the team's performance? He was fired because of off the field 'activities.' Pedey had no choice but to fire him. Hence the disorganized coaching search, etc. Solich left some good talent behind on defense and I would argue that other than Dennard and David, the defensive players that Callahan inherited were much more talented than what we have today, particularly on the defensive line. Our defensive line talent is currently embarrassing. I had to laugh today when the uninformed announcer called Meredith the next "superstar" on the defensive line.

Back to topic, I tend to agree that Bo is not going to be the guy to take us to consistent contenders for BCS bowl games. What bothers me is the team's lack of discipline. Penalties, missed assignments, dropped balls, lack of intensity, poor tackling... You name it. It's becoming the calling card of Pelini's teams. Playing great one week then completely laying an egg the next. It just seems to me that in about 4 or 5 games per year our team comes out completely flat. The coaching today also stunk. The clock management stunk. The 2 gap scheme we run blows and we don't have the personnel to make it work. Sure they looked great against Michigan State last week, but lets face it, Sparty had a hard time running the ball on Minnesota today. Conversely, look at how disruptive Northwestern's Dline was today. How many negative plays did we have? They were running similar plays with their mobile QB and they worked great against our soft D. I'm willing to give Pelini 1 or 2 more years, but this sh#t is seriously getting old. I used to look forward to our offense getting off the field so I could watch the Blackshirts knock the piss out of the opposing team. Now I just have to hope that the other team will make a mistake to kill their drive.

Unfortunately as others have stated we wouldn't be able to get a proven big name coach in here even if we did get rid of Bo. Maybe Bill Snyder would come up here? (just kidding)

I'm glad you subscribe to the National Inquirer. Now, how about one shred of real "proof" before going back to your "As the World Turns" soap opera?

I work with a friend of Pedey's who grew up a childhood friend with Steve and who remains in touch with him today. Pedey told him everything that was going on with Franky and his problem with getting a couple women pregnant(one of which was a student). How am I supposed to prove that? You don't find it just a little fishy that Solich going from a .500 season to 9-3 the next year got him fired? Don't you think you're a little over-the-top with all your responses on this board? Most of your posts do nothing but mock other peoples opinions. I bow down to you for being the smartest and most informed fan on this board.

But it's perfectly fine to assassinate the character of a previous HC of ours on a public forum with zero proof?

I do sincerely apologize for my sarcasm. Maybe we both could use a little better judgement?

I thought it was common knowledge. I told this story to someone to see if they had heard it and they're response was "Old news. Everyone around here knows it." I found plenty of others saying the same thing on the interwebs just by doing a google search. Pretty sure similar stories were said about Sanders too and I don't recall there being much of an outcry over it. I don't have a problem with Solich. I root for the guy when Ohio plays.

+100 Usually I don't post after a loss for the reasons you metioned......BUT!!! This is by far the post of the week! Couldn't have said it better myself! :thumbs

• Fire 1

Apperently it is, or is it ok to be hypricitical and only critisize one coach and everyone else gets a free pass? This is the stuff that drives me crazy is the hyprocicy of the NU fan base. All you have to do is look at all of the anti BC posts who didn't have all of these off the field issues. He lost games and got fired, but apperently it's hands off to critisize the guy who truley put the progam in the shitter in Frank. If you want valadation, go look up the truth as to why Haloti Ngata as to why he changed his commitment from NU to Oregon. Or better yet ask his cousin (I forget his name, but he was a DL for NU at the time) how Frank handled Bohl and thier situaion and you will find the truth.

Apperently it is, or is it ok to be hypricitical and only critisize one coach and everyone else gets a free pass? This is the stuff that drives me crazy is the hyprocicy of the NU fan base. All you have to do is look at all of the anti BC posts who didn't have all of these off the field issues. He lost games and got fired, but apperently it's hands off to critisize the guy who truley put the progam in the shitter in Frank. If you want valadation, go look up the truth as to why Haloti Ngata as to why he changed his commitment from NU to Oregon. Or better yet ask his cousin (I forget his name, but he was a DL for NU at the time) how Frank handled Bohl and thier situaion and you will find the truth.

Never said that. Just said his firing wasn't soley based off the programs success. The K-State game made it an easy decision for Pedey. Also just wanted to point out that defensively Solich left a lot more talent then we currently have.