Some of you guys are delusional

While we're discussing walk-ons and half of you want us to destroy our amazing walk-on program... Anybody wish Alex Henery would have chosen to take a scholarship else where? No one can be happy here!

no one wants it scrapped. clearly he earned his starter spot. that can not be said for everyone.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying what the problem with the walk on program is. That because someone walks on to just wear a jersey and be a practice dummy that there are potential high quality recruits that are being ignored?

i'm really not saying that at all. i made an egregious mistake of getting involved in this. but earlier it looked like people were saying that it is a shame not to recruit in nebraska, and i was just agreeing with the guy who said there just is not much talent in nebraska. and next thing i know, i am embroiled is a quagmire i never bargained for.

Come on, sd, you're the franchise poster and you're in here talkin' 'bout walk-ons.

While we're discussing walk-ons and half of you want us to destroy our amazing walk-on program... Anybody wish Alex Henery would have chosen to take a scholarship else where? No one can be happy here!

no one wants it scrapped. clearly he earned his starter spot. that can not be said for everyone.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying what the problem with the walk on program is. That because someone walks on to just wear a jersey and be a practice dummy that there are potential high quality recruits that are being ignored?

i'm really not saying that at all. i made an egregious mistake of getting involved in this. but earlier it looked like people were saying that it is a shame not to recruit in nebraska, and i was just agreeing with the guy who said there just is not much talent in nebraska. and next thing i know, i am embroiled is a quagmire i never bargained for.

Come on, sd, you're the franchise poster and you're in here talkin' 'bout walk-ons.

i know, i have a brand to protect and here i am, talkin' bout walk-ons. we talkin' bout walk-ons? walk-ons? we have to win out and hope for a msu loss, and we talkin' bout walk-ons?

Haha No, I was seriously confused what the downside of the walkon program is! I see that there are "Walk on Recruits" and most of those are from nebraska, but most of the scholarship recruits are from out of state (by like 6:1). I just assumed that the rest of the non-recruited walk ons were just sort of home town heroes who just wanted to play the game (and some times turned out to be phenomenal). I wasn't sure which resources they were diverting from the staff.

Haha No, I was seriously confused what the downside of the walkon program is! I see that there are "Walk on Recruits" and most of those are from nebraska, but most of the scholarship recruits are from out of state (by like 6:1). I just assumed that the rest of the non-recruited walk ons were just sort of home town heroes who just wanted to play the game (and some times turned out to be phenomenal). I wasn't sure which resources they were diverting from the staff.

yeah, the walk-on program is great. we should be proud of it and if i had any athletic ability, i would proudly wear my 'walk-on' badge. by my own incoherence, i was misunderstood and jumped in a mid-argument i had no business to be involved.

What Nebraska guys are you referring to? Andrew Rodriguez was a four star recruit - you need to grab him. Lance Thorell was a walk-on, so the fact that he's starting has more to do with the lack of depth around him more-so than recruiting Nebraska boys.

Im not saying we should never recruit them, im saying we recruit/give scholarships to too many. May is horrible, Cassidy is not a good safety, blatchford. We have 68 Nebraska boys on the roster, which is half the roster. Thats too many imo and recruiting mre out of state would make more depth and more competition.

Ok, I'm not saying this is how you specifically view the walk-on program and the recruiting process, but why are many under the impression Pelini specifically recruits Nebraska kids instead of going out of state?

As far as I can tell, Pelini has always been a play the best guy at that position coach, which means he'll recruit the best guys he can to play that position. It shouldn't matter where that player is from or any other arbitrary characteristic like the color of his skin or his favorite musician.

I highly doubt Bo sits in his office, putting together is recruitment list, thinking about getting a specific number of Nebraska guys just to please the fans. Pelini has made it painfully obvious that he'll do just about anything if he thinks it's the right move, regardless of what the fans think. If the three star guy from Nebraska is just as good or better than the three star from Texas, what the hell does it matter?

What Nebraska guys are you referring to? Andrew Rodriguez was a four star recruit - you need to grab him. Lance Thorell was a walk-on, so the fact that he's starting has more to do with the lack of depth around him more-so than recruiting Nebraska boys.

Im not saying we should never recruit them, im saying we recruit/give scholarships to too many. May is horrible, Cassidy is not a good safety, blatchford. We have 68 Nebraska boys on the roster, which is half the roster. Thats too many imo and recruiting mre out of state would make more depth and more competition.

Ok, I'm not saying this is how you specifically view the walk-on program and the recruiting process, but why is everybody under the impression Pelini specifically recruits Nebraska kids instead of going out of state?

As far as I can tell, Pelini has always been a play the best guy at that position coach, which means he'll recruit the best guys he can to play that position. It shouldn't matter where that player is from or any other arbitrary characteristic like the color of his skin or his favorite musician.

I highly doubt Bo sits in his office, putting together is recruitment list, thinking about getting a specific number of Nebraska guys just to please the fans. Pelini has made it painfully obvious that he'll do just about anything if he thinks it's the right move, regardless of what the fans think. If the three star guy from Nebraska is just as good or better than the three star from Texas, what the hell does it matter?

i don't think you guys are disagreeing. BO gets nebraska players because he can not get anyone better. either they are really good and we need them on the team or there is no one better and we need them on the team. it is just easier to get nebraska kids. you have to lock-down your own state, but if there is a kid from nebraska that can play at a top level college, the most certainly should play at NU.

No team will be a consistent NC contender. All you have to do is look at where Texas went after they were contending for the NC. The days of having just a handful of national powerhouses is over, anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday.

As far as walkons go, I wish they had a rule that you had to have at lease 30% of your team graduating high school in that particular state.

No team will be a consistent NC contender. All you have to do is look at where Texas went after they were contending for the NC. The days of having just a handful of national powerhouses is over, anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday.

As far as walkons go, I wish they had a rule that you had to have at lease 30% of your team graduating high school in that particular state.

I kind of agree. Teams will have years of being up & down. Probably not to the degree NU had in the 90's but no one will. Most of the teams mentioned at the top are up, but were down at some point within the last 20 years. My guess is that the guy who started this post is under the age of thirty & has little knowledge of College Football previous to 2000 besides what he has heard about in the 90's. Also Nebraska & Miami may be down the last few yrs, but they are both more elite then Oregon any day of the week.