Kain Colter..........what might have been..............

Comish

Interesting tidbit in today's local paper.

I knew that we had offered Colter but didn't have the details.

Seems like he was on the fence between the Huskers and Northwestern when Brion Carnes de-committed from Western Kentucky and gave us a verbal. Colter then saw a potential logjam at QB and went to Northwestern.

Interesting to speculate how that may have impacted yesterday. It certainly looked like Colter hurt us much more than Persa because of his overall athleticism. Would not having him in purple helped us win? And, if he was in Red, would he have been seeing any meaningful snaps or be fulfilling the Carnes role in our scheme?

Not a knock on either player.................just wondering about the potential dual impact of that decision...............

It does puzzle me that for the most part our freshmen fail to get any meaningful minutes at Nebraska. I see them playing and even starting at other universities and doing well. I thought Kain showed good poise and toughness taking over for the starter. He even played wide receiver to start the game didn't he? Our D could have gotten to Persa a few more times during the game. Kain was another story. Wind sprints to the player who hurt Persa's shoulder!

Kain would be our starter over Taylor. We chose to give the scolly to Carnes and that forced his hand. Kenny Bell is a very good friend of Kain's and the I feel if NU would've offered he would've accepted. I remember reading they went to middle school together and remain very close. They went to Platt Middle School and they were a very large part of a good team.

It is hard to swallow watching him beat us yesterday when he could've been a husker.

The kid is very smart. Offer list was Stanford, Northwestern, NU. Kenny Bell was the draw to attend NU over the other two academic giants. Luck was at Stanford, so I don't think Stanford was a good fit for him.

Recruiting is not a perfect science be is sure appears that NU Coulda and Shoulda offerd this young man. This staff just didn't pull the trigger in the Woulda. NU has to face him for 2 more years.

And how many recruits have committed and ultimately signed with NU who later went on to cause problems for our opponents? People can debate/argue/discuss, etc all they want about this or that recruit who we should have pressed harder for a committment. It's not going to change anything. We could recruit an entire class of 4 and 5 stars and someone will still ultimately complain about us not recruiting some other 4 or 5 star recruit.

i was on the fence about a lot of things early on.... i mean we can grip and say that it seems soo obvious to us... but if we had all the answers and were the geniuses our posts make it out to be i'm sure we would all be the OC DC HC of f%&k.. but we are not.. .the guys arent idiots... we need to trust them and believe in them.... we all know the cut off point for letting a guy go and i dont think we are near that point yet... we all have bought the team and lets not give..... the coaches know what JT is all about and im sure they know what they are doing

Is this for sure? According to Scout, he got offers from Northwestern, Air Force, Akron, Arizona State, Colorado, Stanford, Wyoming --> but not Nebraska (but scout could be wrong). Maybe the best thing is to ask Kain, But Northwestern rarely gets four / five star recruits, and it's up to a coach like Fitzgerald to get the most out of who does come. http://northwestern.scout.com/a.z?s=179&p=8&c=1&nid=4183288

Recruiting is not a perfect science be is sure appears that NU Coulda and Shoulda offerd this young man. This staff just didn't pull the trigger in the Woulda. NU has to face him for 2 more years.

And how many recruits have committed and ultimately signed with NU who later went on to cause problems for our opponents? People can debate/argue/discuss, etc all they want about this or that recruit who we should have pressed harder for a committment. It's not going to change anything. We could recruit an entire class of 4 and 5 stars and someone will still ultimately complain about us not recruiting some other 4 or 5 star recruit.

Frazier killed Colorado, who tried to recruit him as a DB.

Bo cant develop talent anyways, remember.

Ummm.....I would disagree with this statement.

See Ndamukong Suh's on field performance under Bill Callahan and Kevin Cosgrove.

See Ndamukong Suh's on field performance after Bo Pelini and Carl Pelini.

Bo can develop talent. I too wish we would give players like Jamal Turner, Aaron Green, and Braylon Heard more playing time now that we have already burned their redshirts. Remember they are still freshman. Yes, maybe one or all of them should still be redshirted, but that is the past. Bo has proven over and over again at every stop in his coaching career that he can develop talent and that he can coach.