Northwestern stole our signals - Martinez

knapplc

He knew this and waited until after the game to bring it up. This is a lame excuse.

What? You want him to grab the sideline reporter and hold an impromptu conference in the middle of the game? He said they mixed things up so he and the coaches were obviously on to it.

I figured out Northwestern's signs. One had race cars on it and another had the word racer, guess what play it was! That damn counter play...

Several teams using a sideline signals via big poster which displayed a weird faces or scenery pictures, mascot, strange formulas, etc.

What's the purpose? I don't get it.

Exactly, they have you confused too.

You know re watching the game, you can plainly see both Northwestern and Michigan State doing this.

Truthfully, i think Tim Beck needs to lay off the false count. It was working before to draw teams offsides, now defenses have figured out it just to bluff them into moving while they look to the sideline for the play from Tim Beck. Now unfortunately defenses are reading our plays being signaled in by either Ron Kellogg, Joe Ganz, or Ron Brown.

Nothing you can really do about signalling in the plays except change whoever the real caller is every possession to throw the defense off.

Several teams using a sideline signals via big poster which displayed a weird faces or scenery pictures, mascot, strange formulas, etc.

What's the purpose? I don't get it.

Exactly, they have you confused too.

You know re watching the game, you can plainly see both Northwestern and Michigan State doing this.

Truthfully, i think Tim Beck needs to lay off the false count. It was working before to draw teams offsides, now defenses have figured out it just to bluff them into moving while they look to the sideline for the play from Tim Beck. Now unfortunately defenses are reading our plays being signaled in by either Ron Kellogg, Joe Ganz, or Ron Brown.

Nothing you can really do about signalling in the plays except change whoever the real caller is every possession to throw the defense off.

Michigan State jumped offsides a lot. Maybe NW didn't, but MSU sure did.

This is why ive never been a fan of signals. Youre shuffling in 2-3 guys every play anyway, call a play in the ear, a shortname that corresponds with whats on the novel that qbs carry on their wrists nowadays and call hte play in the huddle and run it. This signaling all the time drives me nuts but i guess once it's mastered its a good deal.

He knew this and waited until after the game to bring it up. This is a lame excuse.

What? You want him to grab the sideline reporter and hold an impromptu conference in the middle of the game? He said they mixed things up so he and the coaches were obviously on to it.

I figured out Northwestern's signs. One had race cars on it and another had the word racer, guess what play it was! That damn counter play...

They could make an announcement over the loudspeaker at the stadium. "ATTENTION HUSKER FANS, THE NORTHWESTERN DEFENSE HAS FIGURED OUT THE HUSKERS OFFENSIVE SIGNAL CALLING FROM THE SIDELINE" :sarcasm

Taylor said in today's presser that Northwestern's defenders were watching our plays being signaled in from the sidelines and they figured out our plays by stealing our signs.

Rich Kaipust says:

Taylor Martinez said Monday that Northwestern did its homework last week, and it might have resulted in the Wildcats’ defense having a feel for what the Nebraska offense was going to do Saturday.

The NU quarterback said “they were looking at our sidelines to see what plays we were running” and “they maybe kind of caught on to what we were doing.”

“It was a lot of film study, I’d say,” Martinez said. “It’s Northwestern … smart school.”

Martinez got some laughs with that last comment, but said the Huskers might have to work on mixing up their signals going forward to combat it happening again.

In its no-huddle offense, Nebraska comes to the line of scrimmage, assesses the defense, then usually steps back and looks to a handful of people on the sideline signaling in the call. Only certain ones are “live” – relaying the play coming from offensive coordinator Tim Beck in the press box – while the others are decoys.

Martinez said he never noticed another opponent this season trying to figure it out.

“During the game, I kind of caught on that every time we would look over there, (they) were looking at me for the play or at the sidelines for the play,” Martinez said. “So during the game we kind of mixed up each signal.”

Did you read that they tried to mix up the signal calling during the game? It was brought to his and Beck's attention...

All I am saying is if he felt this was an issue during game then he should have brought it to the coaches attention. There has been issues getting plays in on both sides of the ball. How many time have we gotten penalties or delay of games right after timeouts (Both called and TV).

maybe you missed this part....

Martinez said. “So during the game we kind of mixed up each signal.

All I am saying is if he felt this was an issue during game then he should have brought it to the coaches attention.

The coaches knew. The whole offense knew. Just because you're just finding this out on Monday doesn't mean this is the first moment they discovered what was going on.

Did you think maybe there was a reason why, suddenly, we started moving the ball later in the game? They figured out what NW was doing and changed signals.

Taylor said in today's presser that Northwestern's defenders were watching our plays being signaled in from the sidelines and they figured out our plays by stealing our signs.

Rich Kaipust says:

Taylor Martinez said Monday that Northwestern did its homework last week, and it might have resulted in the Wildcats’ defense having a feel for what the Nebraska offense was going to do Saturday.

The NU quarterback said “they were looking at our sidelines to see what plays we were running” and “they maybe kind of caught on to what we were doing.”

“It was a lot of film study, I’d say,” Martinez said. “It’s Northwestern … smart school.”

Martinez got some laughs with that last comment, but said the Huskers might have to work on mixing up their signals going forward to combat it happening again.

In its no-huddle offense, Nebraska comes to the line of scrimmage, assesses the defense, then usually steps back and looks to a handful of people on the sideline signaling in the call. Only certain ones are “live” – relaying the play coming from offensive coordinator Tim Beck in the press box – while the others are decoys.

Martinez said he never noticed another opponent this season trying to figure it out.

“During the game, I kind of caught on that every time we would look over there, (they) were looking at me for the play or at the sidelines for the play,” Martinez said. “So during the game we kind of mixed up each signal.”

Did you read that they tried to mix up the signal calling during the game? It was brought to his and Beck's attention...

I did read it but I think stealing signals is part of the game. When I played if I knew each time the QB said Lazer it was going to the left I would say something. Yes you react in football but you take whatever the other team is going to blatantly give you. Looking for tells or signals is not breaking news and I just don't feel can be used as an excuse ever. Football is about adjustments to me changing the way you make play calls if there is an issue should be no different.