Any Way PSU Game is Called?

I don't know if playing the game this weekend is the right thing to do or not. I'm in a little over my head here. I can see both sides of that coin.

Lost in all of this (and yes, we can think of more than just the children who were victims) are the Penn State players. Most likely none of them had any idea what was going on. Most likely they are as disgusted, horrified and shocked as we are.

It is also very likely that this Saturday was supposed to be their Senior Day, since it's their last home game of the year. If they play, who takes these kids out on the field, shakes their hand, hugs them, and thanks them for their honest contributions to the team?

Lots of collateral damage in this situation.

"Joseph Vincent Paterno: Educator, Coach, Humanitarian."

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach."

Paterno's quotes on the wall behind that statue. Hypocrite.

I'm not ready to throw Paterno under the bus on this. I don't know the guy, but I have a hard time thinking he's the type of person who could know about something as sick as what Sandusky did, not go public with it, and actually be able to live with himself. I'd like to think very, very few people are that type of person.

"Joseph Vincent Paterno: Educator, Coach, Humanitarian."

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach."

Paterno's quotes on the wall behind that statue. Hypocrite.

I'm not ready to throw Paterno under the bus on this. I don't know the guy, but I have a hard time thinking he's the type of person who could know about something as sick as what Sandusky did, not go public with it, and actually be able to live with himself. I'd like to think very, very few people are that type of person.

If the reports are true, Paterno did know. He told his boss about it but never told the police. That's what a lot of people are so upset about.

It is also very likely that this Saturday was supposed to be their Senior Day, since it's their last home game of the year. If they play, who takes these kids out on the field, shakes their hand, hugs them, and thanks them for their honest contributions to the team?

And for the players moving forward, how do they ever trust another coach? Do they all get penalty-free transfers? Are they forced to stay at PSU? This is an ugly situation and really just a no-win scenario for everybody. I hope they don't forfeit the game over, but I would understand if they did.

The evidence doesn't look good in this situation. It seems that JoePa was informed in 2002 by the Grad Asst (I forget his name) and all JoePa did was tell his superior. At a minimum Paterno was required by Pennsylvania law to call the police. But this wasn't the first time Joe had learned troubling things about Sandusky. There were allegations in 1998, FOUR YEARS before the most inflammatory incident in the PSU locker room, which led to Sandusky's resignation - a resignation about which Paterno said nothing despite Sandusky's decades of employment. It would be the same as Charlie McBride suddenly, mysteriously leaving in 1996 and Osborne saying absolutely nothing about it.

Despite these instances, JoePa allowed Sandusky access to the program, the facilities and the players as recently as last week. That is inexcusable. Absolutely inexcusable.

The evidence doesn't look good in this situation. It seems that JoePa was informed in 2002 by the Grad Asst (I forget his name) and all JoePa did was tell his superior. At a minimum Paterno was required by Pennsylvania law to call the police. But this wasn't the first time Joe had learned troubling things about Sandusky. There were allegations in 1998, FOUR YEARS before the most inflammatory incident in the PSU locker room, which led to Sandusky's resignation - a resignation about which Paterno said nothing despite Sandusky's decades of employment. It would be the same as Charlie McBride suddenly, mysteriously leaving in 1996 and Osborne saying absolutely nothing about it.

Despite these instances, JoePa allowed Sandusky access to the program, the facilities and the players as recently as last week. That is inexcusable. Absolutely inexcusable.

Well said. I have a hard time believing that anyone outside of Joe Paterno's family could have any sympathy for the guy right now.

Or since Sandusky was supposed to take over after Paterno retired a comparison to Solich could be made instead of McBride.

Paterno knew about this for years yet Sandusky was allowed on campus numerous times with young boys from his charity. Agreed inexcusable.

wow, joe's one son (not jay) is trying to set up an off campus press conference for Joe to speak.

Which would be a terminable offense if I were his boss. That is a very bold, and a very unwise, move by Paterno. Nothing he has to say right now can be of any benefit to anyone. This needs to go to trial. He'll have ample time to tell his side of the story at that point.

I cannot imagine what he has to say that is worth taking this step.

You're right. I had only heard what ABC News was reporting on the matter, and they haven't mentioned much about Paterno, but the allegations outlined elsewhere do, and if the allegations are true, then I guess he really is that type of person.

I know nobody wants to be the one to open the can of worms, but at some point moral values have to be more important than the value of the brand you represent.

wow, joe's one son (not jay) is trying to set up an off campus press conference for Joe to speak.

Which would be a terminable offense if I were his boss. That is a very bold, and a very unwise, move by Paterno. Nothing he has to say right now can be of any benefit to anyone. This needs to go to trial. He'll have ample time to tell his side of the story at that point.

Unless he's wanting to say he's stepping down.

Unless he's wanting to say he's stepping down.

That is highly likely, but still stupid. Today is not the day for Joe to go rogue.

I'm resigning