Tidbits from the Big Red Breakfast this morning 11/11/11

Norhusker

Stai was the speaker. He was a wealth of information in my opinion. Kind of told it like it is. Very little coach speak. Here are a few quick bullet points of some of his discussions:

1. As a Graduate manager he works a lot with the scout team in preparing the team to simulate our opponent's offense. Also, works with the line during the Summer. Does other stuff as well of course.

2. Talked about "DAT" discipline, attitude and toughness. Seems like they are really preaching it to the team espically after the game last week. Stressed that they need to be very focused this week due the issues at Penn State. Penn State will come out and play hard with Joe Pa's firing and all. We need to match their intensity.

3. He said both the coaches and players over looked Northwestern. It falls on the coaches to be prepared and they were not.

4. Defense is really going at it hard this week. Bo very unhappy from last week's performance.

5. Expect more player rotations this week using the younger guys. Not only at O-line, but other positions as well like RB and WR.

6.Mentioned that QB draws and screen plays maybe used more in the near future.

7. Briefly praised right side of line ( M. Jones and Long) along with Caputo. He said Long will end up being a very good player as he is only a sophmore right now.

8. Mentioned that ARod was sick last week, but that is not an excuse for his play.

9. Mentioned that Yoshi is one of the toughest players on the team. Almost tore his pinky finger off in the Fresno State game.

10. Ben Cotton also tough. Torn tricep and gimpy back, but playing through it.

11. Overall team is pretty nicked up, but so is everyone else at this point in the season. Nature of the beast.

12. Penn State overall might be the best D we will face. Mentioned that they are very fast.

Stai was the speaker. He was a wealth of information in my opinion. Kind of told it like it is. Very little coach speak. Here are a few quick bullet points of some of his discussions:

1. As a Graduate manager he works a lot with the scout team in preparing the team to simulate our opponent's offense. Also, works with the line during the Summer. Does other stuff as well of course.

2. Talked about "DAT" discipline, attitude and toughness. Seems like they are really preaching it to the team espically after the game last week. Stressed that they need to be very focused this week due the issues at Penn State. Penn State will come out and play hard with Joe Pa's firing and all. We need to match their intensity.

3. He said both the coaches and players over looked Northwestern. It falls on the coaches to be prepared and they were not.

4. Defense is really going at it hard this week. Bo very unhappy from last week's performance.

5. Expect more player rotations this week using the younger guys. Not only at O-line, but other positions as well like RB and WR.

7. Briefly praised right side of line ( M. Jones and Long) along with Caputo. He said Long will end up being a very good player as he is only a sophmore right now.

8. Mentioned that ARod was sick last week, but that is not an excuse for his play.

9. Mentioned that Yoshi is one of the toughest players on the team. Almost tore his pinky finger off in the Fresno State game.

11. Overall team is pretty nicked up, but so is everyone else at this point in the season. Nature of the beast.

12. Penn State overall might be the best D we will face. Mentioned that they are very fast.

So what kind of offensive scheme would you use against that type of defense? More misdirection? Zone read? More short pass play?

I am sick and tired of this line from Bo and company. How many years in a row will they overlook an opponent and lose (ISU or TxTech 2009) or almost lose (SDSU last year)?

Enough is enough. Once or twice in a coach's early career is understandable, but after that it should be a wake up call. You can't take a week off, there are no "gimme" games in college football. Anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday.

Winners don't make excuses, they make plays.

• Fire 2

Glad to hear they owned their lack of preparation last week. Also sounds like they will try some screens and draws to defeat Penn St speed on D. Hopefully, he wasn't just feeding the populous when he mentioned playing the younger talent. Looking forward to an epic battle.

So you don't have a problem with this consistent flaw as long as they own up to it?

So what kind of offensive scheme would you use against that type of defense? More misdirection? Zone read? More short pass play?

I really don't know other than Stai talking about more screen plays and draws in the future. Has the ability to work on aggressive defenses if properly executed.

I am sick and tired of this line from Bo and company. How many years in a row will they overlook an opponent and lose (ISU or TxTech 2009) or almost lose (SDSU last year)?

Enough is enough. Once or twice in a coach's early career is understandable, but after that it should be a wake up call. You can't take a week off, there are no "gimme" games in college football. Anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday.

It was patently obvious neither the coaches nor the players were interested in that game last week. I agree, Richard, that this refrain is getting awfully tired. We have overlooked or prepared poorly for WAY too many opponents. Bo needs to get this fixed, and now. It starts between his ears.

I think Martinez utilizing a short passing scheme would proably reap great results, but this has to be established right away instead of waiting.

Exactly!

And why the media and a large contingent of fans continue to give Bo a pass for such egregious performance year after year (over looking unranked teams) is beyond me. It's like we're scared to piss Bo off.....scared we're going to lose him. It's no wonder he treats the fans and media like horse dung.

Seriously - "over looking a team" is right up there with "quitting" as the ultimate insult in football, and Bo's teams are making a habit of it. If TO can't have a serious conversation with Bo on this and put him on notice, then get prepared for worse.

Yes, I'm sick and tired of this crap. Bo's teams are a reflection of him: Immature, hot/cold and inconsistent.

Glad to hear they owned their lack of preparation last week. Also sounds like they will try some screens and draws to defeat Penn St speed on D. Hopefully, he wasn't just feeding the populous when he mentioned playing the younger talent. Looking forward to an epic battle.

So you don't have a problem with this consistent flaw as long as they own up to it?

Thank you for letting me know how I feel with my words. No, I don't think that was OK.

Thank you for letting me know how I feel with my words. No, I don't think that was OK.

Right? I was just asking if that was what you were implying.

Exactly!

And why the media and a large contingent of fans continue to give Bo a pass for such egregious performance year after year (over looking unranked teams) is beyond me. It's like we're scared to piss Bo off.....scared we're going to lose him. It's no wonder he treats the fans and media like horse dung.

Seriously - "over looking a team" is right up there with "quitting" as the ultimate insult in football, and Bo's teams are making a habit of it. If TO can't have a serious conversation with Bo on this and put him on notice, then get prepared for worse.

Yes, I'm sick and tired of this crap. Bo's teams are a reflection of him: Immature, hot/cold and inconsistent.

No disrespect, but could you please just stop. We get it already...you don't like Bo.

• Fire 1

Right? I was just asking if that was what you were implying.

Sorry, just a little edgy today. I've seen a lot of football over the years and loosing to a team because "We overlooked them" is tiresome. Especially with the talent that is on the field.

Glad to hear they owned their lack of preparation last week.

I dont. At least not as much as others because there really isn't anything any of us can do about it. You win some you lose some.

We are all just along for the ride.