Tidbits from the Big Red Breakfast this morning 11/11/11

Norhusker

3. He said both the coaches and players over looked Northwestern. It falls on the coaches to be prepared and they were not.

http://www.huskerboa...post__p__854611

I believe epocSoN owes krc an apology.

I enjoy epocSon's posts....but Stai is more than likely telling the straight truth....the team underestimated NW...and it showed in practice. AHHH!!! That angers me! It's sad to know about this crap...but its something we gotta realize. The Huskers need to redeem themselves against Penn St....CRIPES!!!

I don't like to add bad news but my typical Friday source says that practices have been bad this week, team is not engaged, and overall intensity has been low since mid-week. DL has been brutal, offense moving ball at will and there has been very little fire and a general lack of focus. I hope they are wrong.

Stai was the speaker. He was a wealth of information in my opinion. Kind of told it like it is. Very little coach speak. Here are a few quick bullet points of some of his discussions:

1. As a Graduate manager he works a lot with the scout team in preparing the team to simulate our opponent's offense. Also, works with the line during the Summer. Does other stuff as well of course.

2. Talked about "DAT" discipline, attitude and toughness. Seems like they are really preaching it to the team espically after the game last week. Stressed that they need to be very focused this week due the issues at Penn State. Penn State will come out and play hard with Joe Pa's firing and all. We need to match their intensity.

3. He said both the coaches and players over looked Northwestern. It falls on the coaches to be prepared and they were not.

4. Defense is really going at it hard this week. Bo very unhappy from last week's performance.

5. Expect more player rotations this week using the younger guys. Not only at O-line, but other positions as well like RB and WR.

6.Mentioned that QB draws and screen plays maybe used more in the near future.

7. Briefly praised right side of line ( M. Jones and Long) along with Caputo. He said Long will end up being a very good player as he is only a sophmore right now.

8. Mentioned that ARod was sick last week, but that is not an excuse for his play.

9. Mentioned that Yoshi is one of the toughest players on the team. Almost tore his pinky finger off in the Fresno State game.

10. Ben Cotton also tough. Torn tricep and gimpy back, but playing through it.

11. Overall team is pretty nicked up, but so is everyone else at this point in the season. Nature of the beast.

12. Penn State overall might be the best D we will face. Mentioned that they are very fast.

So what kind of offensive scheme would you use against that type of defense? More misdirection? Zone read? More short pass play?

I say we go with power running. It doesn't matter how fast you are if you've got a 300 pound man between you and the ball.

That's weird, we often talk about not putting injury info out there on current injuries because we don't want other teams to know that about players. And you know, it seems smart. So...Ben Cotton is playing through a torn tricep and a gimpy back?

I agree that it is strange regarding the injury information being discussed. I'm not sure how much Stai has been put into this position as a coach discussing Nebraska football in front of a large crowd. He was well spoken, but probably said more than what Bo would have liked. Of course I soaked it up like a sponge! He definitely mentioned the injuries to Cotton and Yoshi. Felt like I was transported back in time when the coaches talked more freely about such things.

Carl Pelini is definitely a more entertaining speaker, but Stai was the most informative I have heard from in a long time.

I don't like to add bad news but my typical Friday source says that practices have been bad this week, team is not engaged, and overall intensity has been low since mid-week. DL has been brutal, offense moving ball at will and there has been very little fire and a general lack of focus. I hope they are wrong.

Ouch!!

Thanks for the scoop though.....

But there is something the players and coaches can do about it. We shouldn't be losing these games. Losing to Wisconsin was a whole different deal than losing to NW. Wisconsin is on our level in terms of talent, NW is not (no disrespect). There's no reason we should drop games to teams that we are clearly superior to in all aspects.

I agree. They shouldn't be losing games to teams like NW but it happens its why you play the game. As an example Minnesota beat Iowa who would have guessed that one? Just gotta look ahead to the next and hope the staff and players learned something from it. Just like my dad used to say when I was growing up. "Dumb***es, Oh well we'll cheer for them next week".

I read that the practices have been good, See link:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111110/BIGRED/711109741/1048#notes-pelini-says-team-focused-at-practice

Hopefully true and not more coach speak

What do you expect a coach to say? We were ready but the players blew it? Imagine the outrage if a coach threw the players under the bus like that. I can't find it now but there was an owh article last week saying how the coaches were warning the players about northwestern.

Sure, they probably said don't overlook them, but their own game plan was so bland that they obviously got caught looking ahead themselves. The good news is they should be prepared for this week since they've had two weeks

Still pisses me off though to hear about coaches and players "overlooking" a team....that is bullsh#t. That is a DISCIPLINE FACTOR!

My biggest pet peeve excuse ever is "overlooking"

Falls ONLY on the coaches

Why? Players never overlook an opponent and don't do film study when they should?