Keystone Pipeline

Perhaps I wasn't wording that as aptly as I should, so let's not get hung up on the word "precedent." It doesn't matter to me if it's happened before, it was wrong then and it's wrong now.

What foreign company(ies) were allowed to exercise eminent domain on Americans' properties in California?

You never read Rising Sun?

Explain.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rising_Sun_%28novel%29

Although a detective/murder mystery novel at first glance, Rising Sun deals with the controversial subject of Japanese-American relations, and questions the premise that foreign direct investment in the high-technology sectors of the United States is beneficial. Throughout the book, the differences between the Japanese and Western mindsets are highlighted, especially in the areas of business strategy and corporate culture.[3]

Perhaps I wasn't wording that as aptly as I should, so let's not get hung up on the word "precedent." It doesn't matter to me if it's happened before, it was wrong then and it's wrong now.

What foreign company(ies) were allowed to exercise eminent domain on Americans' properties in California?

Explain.

Short explanation, it was a bad "polo" joke.

Longerish explanation, in the late 80's/early90's during Japan's boom time, they bought several investments/holding companies/tall tall buildings across the state, predominantly the LA area. Often, there was much greasing of the skids on the bureaucratic and permit side as it was quite beneficial for the states economy and the juiced in politicians with interests in several of the purchases.

Rising Sun was a Crichton novel based in a exaggerating rendition of that time. Which led to a hyper exaggerated movie.

I don't get why we're suddenly talking about a fictional novel in this thread.

I'm not hung up on the word 'precedent' because wrong is wrong whether this is the first or the 81st time this has happened, but I'd be genuinely interested to know if this has happened before, that a foreign national corporation has been able to successfully use Eminent Domain against U.S. citizens and their property.

EDIT - I typed this while the above response was being sent. Ignore my first statement. Still would be interested in knowing the answer to the last part, though.

Explain.

Longerish explanation, in the late 80's/early90's during Japan's boom time, they bought several investments/holding companies/tall tall buildings across the state, predominantly the LA area. Often, there was much greasing of the skids on the bureaucratic and permit side as it was quite beneficial for the states economy and the juiced in politicians with interests in several of the purchases.

Rising Sun was a Crichton novel based in a exaggerating rendition of they time. Which led to a hyper exaggerated movie.

That was a good read, though.

I'm not hung up on the word 'precedent' because wrong is wrong whether this is the first or the 81st time this has happened, but I'd be genuinely interested to know if this has happened before, that a foreign national corporation has been able to successfully use Eminent Domain against U.S. citizens and their property.

EDIT - I typed this while the above response was being sent. Ignore my first statement. Still would be interested in knowing the answer to the last part, though.

According to that Forbes article Transcanada has used eminent domain in 2% of land acquisition.

In an email after the publication of this article, TransCanada said it has reached voluntary agreements to secure 100% of the private easements required for the pipeline in Montana and South Dakota. It has 76% of the easements required for the route in Nebraska, it said. In general, the company said it has had to use eminent domain with only 2% of landowners.

I can't think of any, but there's old laws on the books saying it's allowed, so maybe?

http://scholarship.law.duke.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1755&context=dlj

Explain.

Rising Sun was a Crichton novel based in a exaggerating rendition of they time. Which led to a hyper exaggerated movie.

Pretty much the best way to read about boobs, then see boobs on the movie screen when you're a ambitious teenager wanting to read about "current events"

Explain.

Pretty much the best way to read about boobs, then see boobs on the movie screen when you're a ambitious teenager wanting to read about "current events"

I actually read it just a couple of years ago so I already had half assed knowledge of boobs and their hypnotic abilities.

According to that Forbes article Transcanada has used eminent domain in 2% of land acquisition.

In an email after the publication of this article, TransCanada said it has reached voluntary agreements to secure 100% of the private easements required for the pipeline in Montana and South Dakota. It has 76% of the easements required for the route in Nebraska, it said. In general, the company said it has had to use eminent domain with only 2% of landowners.

The key point would be "successfully" use eminent domain. In the Texas case, the Texas Supreme Court overturned the ruling by the district court. So that use of eminent domain was unsuccessful (at least as far as I can tell now).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransCanada_Corporation

At one point in October 2011, TransCanada was involved in up to 56 separate eminent domain actions against landowners in Texas and South Dakota who have refused to give permission to the company to build the Keystone Pipeline on their land.[6] However, on August 23, 2012, Texas Judge Bill Harris ruled that TransCanada has the legal right of eminent domain and may lease or purchase land from owners who refused to sign an agreement with the company for the public right-of-way of a pipeline. The landowners had claimed that because the pipeline was not open to other companies, it did not meet the criteria for eminent domain.[7]

On September 27, 2012, protesters began tree sitting in the path of the Keystone pipeline near Winnsboro, Texas. Eight people stood on tree platforms just ahead of where crews were cutting down trees to make way for the pipeline.[8]

On October 4, 2012, actress and activist Daryl Hannah and 78-year-old Texas landowner Eleanor Fairchild were arrested for criminal trespassing and other charges after they were accused of standing in front of TransCanada pipeline construction equipment on Fairchild's farm in Winnsboro, a town about 100 miles east of Dallas.[9] Ms. Fairchild has owned the land since 1983 and refused to sign any agreements with TransCanada. Her land was seized by eminent domain.

So from that it sounds like they did take the land and started building.

I don't believe so. I remember reading an article a while back, sorry can't remember the source, that mentioned this was the first time in modern era. Definitely sets a dangerous precedent. <--- shocking statement coming from a conservative Texan, I know.

In the wake of the eminent domain filings, Van Housen said he feels like Nebraska lawmakers have thrown him and other landowners “under the rug.”

I don’t even feel like I live in the United States any more,” Van Housen said. "A foreign company coming over and shoving a pipe through my land without my OK? I feel terrible about it."

LJS Article

This is, perhaps, the scariest precedent this pipeline is setting. For the government to approve of this is disgusting.

In a surprise twist you can blame the liberal justices for private use eminent domain.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/03/12/the-devastation-caused-eminent-domain-abuse/yWsy0MNEZ91TM94PYQIh0L/story.html

Kelo was a terrible decision.

For the government to approve of this is disgusting.

It goes well beyond approving of it!

This is literally the centerpiece of the Republican economic plan. How crazy is this? Does no one in that party give a damn about reality anymore?

I would say at this point neither party has a firm grasp of reality. But hey.