I was wrong about the B!G ………………

Comish

For years I believed the B!G was one of the more over-rated conferences and I enjoyed watching them get their a$$es handed to them regularly in the post season.

I still maintain this is not a pretty conference and it won’t be in any NC conversations this year, but it IS a slugfest (like we had been warned). And, I’ve got to say, I’m enjoying the parity and challenges of being forced to bring it every week. (Exhibit # 1….see Northwestern).

I recognize this probably sounds like a death bed conversion since we are now a member, and maybe some of it is. But the fact is, that for the style of football we are known for, and like to play……………this is a very good fit. Maybe even better than we anticipated.

Agree………….or no……………??

• Fire 4

I knew from the day it was announced we were going to join that this conference just made sense for us. Great fans, physical football, similar climates, and similar lifestyles of the people you encounter on the road. I have always respected this conference for their defensive play. Always the best defensive lines and linebackers. As tough as I think this conference is, I expect us to be among the top if not the top of this conference in the future. We are already leaving our mark. If not for that loss to Northwestern, I would say we would have been almost a sure Conference Champion. Oh well, maybe next year.

Even though it doesn't favor us, it's refreshing to know that every week matters and nothing is going to be handed to us. We were beyond spoiled in the Big XII North. As long as we beat Mizzou every year, we were fine. I love the higher level of competition each week and find it more fun to watch when more is on the line every week. Hopefully this pattern continues for many years.

So glad to finally be a member of a conference where it's actually a good fit.

GO B1G RED!

It still feels weird having you guys in the Conference but I think you're a good fit. Passionate fans and actually midwesterners (unlike Penn State) so we have a lot in common as people. Program fits well too as far as the style of play.

I'm a little worried you guys are going to grow disillusioned and bitter the more road trips you make as we have some of the most hmmm "outspoken" fans in the country.

Overall I think it was a good move for both NU and the Big Ten. You guys make us more competitive and bring a lot of history and success along with you. Its hard to tell who's going to be on top consistently after everything shakes out, with OSU and PSU in turmoil and Michigan in a seemingly endless transition who knows...

I'm also a bit worried about your recruiting just from what I've heard (not from NU fans). By that I mean that I'd heard that many of your best recruits are from Texas and with your departure from the Big XII I don't know how easy it will be to get those kids in the future...that could be complete bullsh#t though...maybe you don't recruit that much there, the kids won't care or you'll find players else where...like I said this is based on what I've heard from other fans. Could be completely false.

After being denied to join the conference in the past it feels good to be in the B1G. It was nice playing in the Big 12 North and getting a shot at a bcs bowl the last couple of years, but I think we will be playing in quite a few B1G championships in the future even with better opponents.

Even though it doesn't favor us, it's refreshing to know that every week matters and nothing is going to be handed to us. We were beyond spoiled in the Big XII North. As long as we beat Mizzou every year, we were fine. I love the higher level of competition each week and find it more fun to watch when more is on the line every week. Hopefully this pattern continues for many years.

GO B1G RED!

I thought the Big 8 was a great fit

I'm also a bit worried about your recruiting just from what I've heard (not from NU fans). By that I mean that I'd heard that many of your best recruits are from Texas and with your departure from the Big XII I don't know how easy it will be to get those kids in the future...that could be complete bullsh#t though...maybe you don't recruit that much there, the kids won't care or you'll find players else where...like I said this is based on what I've heard from other fans. Could be completely false.

Yes Nu does get some good recruits every year or so, but NU is NOT dependant on Texas talent. NU, as has been noted, is at a recruiting disadvantage because of location, population base, etc ad nausea, so they go out and recruit everywhere. NU has a strong presence in Cali, Florida, the Southwest and can get talent out of the Midwest easily.

The move to the B1G effects on recruiting has been beaten down, but the fact remains Texas just became a little harder to recruit. However, like I had said it won't kill them. Already NU has a stronger presence in Ohio(a talent LOADED state), Illinois, and Pennsylvania. Expect that trend to continue. NU will be fine

HMMM I have to disagree with all of you on the conference being tougher than we thought, yes we got killed at Wisconsin but we also handed them that blowout on a silver platter. Wisconsin was definitely a poor matchup for us.....having very little talent at LB.

OU would own this conference as would OSU right now, and KSU might be better than anyone in this conference as well, and Texas, well we would not beat them as we were 1-9 against them, but Missouri is still a good team and Texas A&M is no slouch, OU was shocked by a very similar team as we were.

NW beat us because their strengths went against our weaknesses, and they were consistent, run the ball right at us.... and Bo and Co. refuse to play the younger players when the vets are hurt, it was this way last year and will continue to be...

As for Recruiting....Badger not a chance bud....Tradition, facilities, and Team recognition, coupled with a good head coach = success, we won't be going anywhere but up our best recruiting classes were the last two, it only gets tougher for everyone else after this season. We had the second fewest returning starters in the conference and we are 8-2, and next year we return almost the entire offense minus Kinne and Caputo.

After being denied to join the conference in the past it feels good to be in the B1G. It was nice playing in the Big 12 North and getting a shot at a bcs bowl the last couple of years, but I think we will be playing in quite a few B1G championships in the future even with better opponents.

GO B1G RED!

I thought the Big 8 was a great fit

True, but i'm a young Husker fan. I grew up in the Big XII era. Not my cup of tea. I'm sure the Big 8 was amazing. Any conference without Texas has to be awesome.

HMMM I have to disagree with all of you on the conference being tougher than we thought, yes we got killed at Wisconsin but we also handed them that blowout on a silver platter. Wisconsin was definitely a poor matchup for us.....having very little talent at LB.

OU would own this conference as would OSU right now, and KSU might be better than anyone in this conference as well, and Texas, well we would not beat them as we were 1-9 against them, but Missouri is still a good team and Texas A&M is no slouch, OU was shocked by a very similar team as we were.

NW beat us because their strengths went against our weaknesses, and they were consistent, run the ball right at us.... and Bo and Co. refuse to play the younger players when the vets are hurt, it was this way last year and will continue to be...

As for Recruiting....Badger not a chance bud....Tradition, facilities, and Team recognition, coupled with a good head coach = success, we won't be going anywhere but up our best recruiting classes were the last two, it only gets tougher for everyone else after this season. We had the second fewest returning starters in the conference and we are 8-2, and next year we return almost the entire offense minus Kinne and Caputo.

That.

NU gave WI the game with 3 Ints. WI, I think is still the better team, but you can't kill yourself like that.

NW -- Bo and Co didn't take them seriously.

That being said -- if NU had to play in the Big 12 this season, oh my, with the relative mediocrity of this Defense and the overall offensive strength in that conference? oi.

I don't think the conference is that tough. I'm glad NU isn't facing all the offenses in the Big 12 right now. We've faced two great offensive teams: Wisconsin and Northwestern. With that said though, NU has had tremendous defenses the last two years. The defense will be back, and the Huskers will have a great chance to become Ohio State "West," without the cheating and immorality.

But NU does fit into this league better. I love it.

This kind of plays in to a question I've been pondering...how do you guys see Big Ten defenses compared to those of the Big XII. Just looking at the numbers....they're quite striking. I think Big 10 teams would do better than we give them credit against some of these teams.

Big Ten Defenses

Average Defensive rank - 43

Median Defensive rank - 26

Best Defense- 3 (MSU)

Worst Defense- 107 (Indiana)

Teams above 100 - 1

Teams in the top 10- 4

Teams in the top 25- 6

Big XII Defenses

Average Defensive rank - 84

Median Defensive rank - 90

Best Defense- 14 (Texas)

Worst Defense- 120 (Kansas)

Teams above 100 - 4

Teams in the top 10- 0

Teams in the top 25- 1

The B12 would have been the same if not tougher this year. Those offenses would have destroyed our defense.

Recruiting wont be affected in anyway shape or form.

B10 is a WAY better fit though.

Look out next year because we only lose 2 players on offense and 2 on defense/David & Dennard are going to be very tough to replace though.

I'm a little worried you guys are going to grow disillusioned and bitter the more road trips you make as we have some of the most hmmm "outspoken" fans in the country.

Nah, we had Colorado

Officials ordered two sections full of students at Folsom Field cleared Friday when debris came flooding out of the stands during the fourth quarter of a game Colorado was losing badly to Nebraska.

With Colorado trailing 27-3, water bottles and other junk came flying from the student sections in the southeast corner of the stadium.

Play was halted for about five minutes while officials conferred. Before play resumed, the public address announcer said sections 116 and 117 would be cleared.