Joe Paterno diagnosed with lung cancer

darkhorse85

cancer is obviously always tragic, but this coming out now is incredible timing.

that's what i'm saying. The timing is impeccable

i know, but i do not think they would fake a diagnosis. what they might do, like huskerfaninokieland said, is withhold the diagnosis and now reveal it for whatever reason.

Fake a Diagnosis? No

Withhold from releasing to the public? Oh yea....happens literally all the time.

Just a random question here though but did JoePa ever smoke? He seems like the kind of guy that would've especially when he was younger I mean sh#t...my grandfather (about his age) started smoking when he was like 8 or something so I could kind of understand the lung cancer thing.

cancer is obviously always tragic, but this coming out now is incredible timing.

i know, but i do not think they would fake a diagnosis. what they might do, like huskerfaninokieland said, is withhold the diagnosis and now reveal it for whatever reason.

Just a random question here though but did JoePa ever smoke? He seems like the kind of guy that would've especially when he was younger I mean sh#t...my grandfather (about his age) started smoking when he was like 8 or something so I could kind of understand the lung cancer thing.

I've read a ton of articles about him over the years and none of them mentioned smoking...even the occasional cigar. I always assumed that he did not smoke, but we all know about assumptions.

"impeccable" in what respect? When is getting cancer ever impeccable?

Either he choose his words poorly or he wants JoePa to die, actually I'm not sure that using "impeccable" when describing the timing of something is even correct.

Per an ESPN SC interview his son, Jay, said that the diagnosis was made last Monday/Tuesday and that they said he's probably going to beat it. If that is really what the doctors told them they must have caught it very early, I think they said he initially went in for a check up on a respiratory issue. I had a grandmother lose her battle with lung cancer when I was younger and like others said it can be a very devastating and fast acting disease. So if they did catch it early he's one of the lucky ones.

Per an ESPN SC interview his son, Jay, said that the diagnosis was made last Monday/Tuesday and that they said he's probably going to beat it. If that is really what the doctors told them they must have caught it very early, I think they said he initially went in for a check up on a respiratory issue. I had a grandmother lose her battle with lung cancer when I was younger and like others said it can be a very devastating and fast acting disease. So if they did catch it early he's one of the lucky ones.

Having seen it up close, lung cancer is not something I'd wish on my worst enemy. The talk about "beating it" is contrary to my understanding of it, but very in synch with how people tend to think when they first learn that they or a loved one have it...that it's something that can be beaten. Based on what I've read (and while I don't claim to be an expert I've read a lot) if you are healthy you might have five years once a diagnosis is made. In Joe Pa's case, given his age, I expect much less.

If he has Lung Cancer this will kill him. Read up on it, the chances of living beyond even two years aren't great. You don't "beat" lung cancer per se...with aggresive treatment and a little bit of luck you might "beat" it by living longer than the average but it WILL kill you. Like Bushy said...I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

If he has Lung Cancer this will kill him. Read up on it, the chances of living beyond even two years aren't great. You don't "beat" lung cancer per se...with aggresive treatment and a little bit of luck you might "beat" it by living longer than the average but it WILL kill you. Like Bushy said...I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

my friend's dad just had a malignant tumor in on his lung. they just removed that part of the lung.

"impeccable" in what respect? When is getting cancer ever impeccable?

um, well let us see here; penn st. just suffered its largest scandal. this would have been the biggest story had it not been for joe pa's cancer announcement. but you are right, impeccable was a poor choice of phrasing. i should have said 'incredible' or 'improbable'.

i do not know if your condescension was directed at my poor word choice or for seeming flippant about joe-pa's cancer, but if it is for seeming flippant about joe-pa's cancer i can assure you i am not. but it would be hard to admit not being stunned about this story coming out now. and i am not saying that as a conspiracy theorist, i am saying it as someone who pays attention to probability. the odds of two stories coming out like that within a month are astronomical (and no, i do not have any empirical evidence).

I've read a ton of articles about him over the years and none of them mentioned smoking...even the occasional cigar. I always assumed that he did not smoke, but we all know about assumptions.

While smoking tobacco can certainly cause lung cancer, it isn't the only cause. Many things can cause it.

Sorry, I am skeptical on this one, the PSU timing on everything shows a pattern, the indictment comes right after the 409th win, etc, etc. Now I am guessing (just a guess here) that he has some issue with his lungs that he knew about-or they had been watching and the report gets released now---why now--its a PR spin, a ploy for sympathy, a chance to get the public back on this side. JoePa transferred his assets a few months ago--i cant help but believe he knows he is a serious trouble with all of the allegations and maybe, just maybe, this softens the hearts of the prosecutors who do not wish to charge him with anything or as much---again, I just find the timing of this very curious.

Sorry, I am skeptical on this one, the PSU timing on everything shows a pattern, the indictment comes right after the 409th win, etc, etc. Now I am guessing (just a guess here) that he has some issue with his lungs that he knew about-or they had been watching and the report gets released now---why now--its a PR spin, a ploy for sympathy, a chance to get the public back on this side. JoePa transferred his assets a few months ago--i cant help but believe he knows he is a serious trouble with all of the allegations and maybe, just maybe, this softens the hearts of the prosecutors who do not wish to charge him with anything or as much---again, I just find the timing of this very curious.

I'm just curious what people think Paterno could be charged with. I'm not trying to stand up for the man I'm just asking an honest question. It seems Pennsylvania law is a bit loopy about reporting and he did the bare minimum of what he needed to do. While ethically it's pretty messed up I'm not so sure he can be brought up on criminal charges. I could be missing something though. Civil suits are an entirely different animal and it seems he's done some preemptive things to secure some of his assets.

While smoking tobacco can certainly cause lung cancer, it isn't the only cause. Many things can cause it.

Thinking about PSU creating some distractions from the intense national scrutiny, whatever happen to McQuery's claim that he did call campus police? That was maybe Wednesday and the last I heard they could not find any evidence that we tried to notify them. I was very busy at work and couldn't follow up on that storyline

One problem with suspecting the timing of the Sandusky indictment is that if you believe it's fishy then you believe the Pennsylvania law enforcement and the District Attorney's office are in on it. In other words, you suspect that the very people who did the investigation and are bringing the charges are themselves part of a conspiracy. At some point it gets a little "Michael Moore" where everything is suspicious and everything is a conspiracy and everyone is in on it. Would it seem less suspicious if the Sandusky indictment had come out in December after the regular season is complete? Or January after the bowl games are over? Maybe someone in the PA District Attorney's office is a Husker fan and the timing was designed to disrupt PSU right before last week's game. :-)