Shame ball goes to...

Bo Pelini. I am not a BO hater but any team that shows up that ill prepared, under motivated, and mentally out of it, that is totally on the coach. Would've been better to stay home and forfeit. Absolutely totally f'n pathetic.

Ill prepared? Under motivated? Mentally out of it? down by 7 at half and one more cough up to start the 2nd half took some wind out. Its not like we were ran out from the opening kickoff. Michigan's 1st td was a fluke that shouldve never happened if an off. pass int. wouldve been called, then our next off possession shouldve continued if a pass int wouldve been called liek it shouldve. D played decent overall, but damn, you cant chase that guy around for literally the whole game. Even when we scored it was a quick drive. The roughing call was bogus, ended the game. Realize that we literally skipped two offensive possesions with fumbles on returns. It's legitimate to say we GAVE the 21 points, and to do that while skipping 2 possessions, thats bad.

We were only down 7 at the half by pure luck. One pass play kept the score board close. The stats were telling the tale before the fumblitis hit. Luckily, that can be blamed on unmotivated and ill prepared. This team was not ready to play. Again.

Do we really need a shame ball?

I really do have an occasional week at work where I don't perform well, glad I don't have total strangers, with little or no experience in my line of work singling me out as "shamefull" eyeswear2allthatsholy

Yes Sir, after today's fiasco--there needs to be such a "ball". But don't worry, theres enough players and staff to carry it.

IF...we can catch it, do you think we can not fumble it? :dunno

will richards......without that RTP call, we would have been A) off the field on defense B) a TD away from a 7 point game.....

Hard to fault Richards. That was a bs call. I could see a 5 yarder for incidental contact. But no way was that a 15 yd penalty. The MU punter made the most of a gentle brush by going into full flop mode.

That was one of the worst calls I have ever seen. It was 100% running into the kicker, I'll grant that. In NO way was that roughing.

Hell, at least Richards showed some heart and determination out there giving his all to make a play when it seemed like a lot of the defense lacked a pulse today.

yea- that was the book closer

Still the fact is, if you hit the kicker while he is in the air, it's going to be called roughing, it's virtualy automatic and for good reason. It's such a vulnerable position to be in. On a punt block attempt, unless the game is essentially over if you don't get the ball, the number one priority is to NOT hit the kicker. Thats why most atttempts come from the corner, to take away most of the possibility of hitting the kicker. He didn't flop (although all punters are taught to do just that), if you're leg gets hit while you are airborn, you are going down.

Bottom line is, if Maher got hit in the same way, everyone would be screaming for the roughing.

I still think that was a little more acting upon the punter's part than it was him actually getting hit. His plant foot didn't get ran into. It got grazed slightly, the Michigan kicker jumped into the air and then fell [flopped] backwards.

According to the rule, that is the definition of roughing the kicker. However, in a game that was looking to turn around and become a game again, that call probably shouldn't have been made.

I still think that was a little more acting upon the punter's part than it was him actually getting hit. His plant foot didn't get ran into. It got grazed slightly, the Michigan kicker jumped into the air and then fell [flopped] backwards.

According to the rule, that is the definition of roughing the kicker. However, in a game that was looking to turn around and become a game again, that call probably shouldn't have been made.

I believe his foot did get hit,and it was his plant foot, it was just off the ground, but that's irrelevant, just my opinion. But if in fact, the offical thinks it was hit, the point in game should have no basis. Doesn't matter if it's the first series or the last, if, in the eyes of the official, he hits the kicker, the penalty has to be called. An official can't take the time to process the game situation every time he sees an infraction, you see it, you call it.

I believe his foot did get hit,and it was his plant foot, it was just off the ground, but that's irrelevant, just my opinion. But if in fact, the offical thinks it was hit, the point in game should have no basis. Doesn't matter if it's the first series or the last, if, in the eyes of the official, he hits the kicker, the penalty has to be called. An official can't take the time to process the game situation every time he sees an infraction, you see it, you call it.

Fair enough. What gets me though, is by this logic, they should've called a lot more on Michigan than they did.

Fair enough. What gets me though, is by this logic, they should've called a lot more on Michigan than they did.

I agree with this %100, I think overall they did a poor job. I think both the non PI call on the Michigan receiver and the PI call on Thorell were both weak, and both may have had just as big an impact on the game. I just think there is too much emphasis being put on this one call. It very well could have been the call of the day mainly because of the momentum shift, but I truly believe it was the correct call, and a pretty easy one to make at that.

The problem with the roughing penally and others was that they were always going against us, when Michigan was clearly committing penalties that weren't being called. If you're going to call the game tight, that's fine, but you have to call it tight both ways.

I agree Richard, like I said, I thought the game was poorly officiated overall. I have to admit I've just been a little fixated on the roughing call because so many people have said it was a bogus call, when in my opinion, it was one of the few they actually got correct.